Model Cars Magazine Forum

Altereds ...........

Sir, your models are very cleanly built and I always enjoy viewing them. I love the topic here also.

Question: The 1st model, the beautiful injected Bantam shows a cockpit cover that fits very snugly around the top of the body. I have an Altered car that I'm currently building with a resin body but the cover fits poorly and hangs all over the edges of the body and rocks around like a dingy in a offshore storm. Your Bantam body appears to be a resin piece as well, did you have fitment issues? If so, could you give some insight how you solved the problem? Also the fasteners you used look are very convincing, are they rivets?

Thanks for any reply, and also thanks for showing some of your models again. They are a joy to view!

Michael

Sir, your models are very cleanly built and I always enjoy viewing them. I love the topic here also.

Question: The 1st model, the beautiful injected Bantam shows a cockpit cover that fits very snugly around the top of the body. I have an Altered car that I'm currently building with a resin body but the cover fits poorly and hangs all over the edges of the body and rocks around like a dingy in a offshore storm. Your Bantam body appears to be a resin piece as well, did you have fitment issues? If so, could you give some insight how you solved the problem? Also the fasteners you used look are very convincing, are they rivets?

Thanks for any reply, and also thanks for showing some of your models again. They are a joy to view!

Michael

Thank you for your very nice comments Michael ............ because of the very issues you describe, I "cheated" when making the cover for that car, it's painted on ............. the body is a Competition Resins fenderless Bantam body ............ I sanded the cowl fairing totally smooth and then painted the body with MCW white lacquer ............... the cover itself was then masked off and brush painted with Testors flat black paint ............. it was put on heavy so the cover looked rough and partially wrinkled like naugahyde ........... then I added sanded photoetch bolt heads from Pro Tech to simulate the snaps which hold the cover down to the body .............

Rastetter01.jpg

Rastetter02.jpg

Rastetter03.jpg

Rastetter06.jpg

Thanks again for the kind words ......... they are greatly appreciated

John

Edited by Old Coyote

Very nicely done group of altereds. Super clean. How about some more details.

OK Bob, here goes ............

the Rastetter A/A is a Comp Resins body sitting on a Willy Borsch chassis, the engine is a Ross Gibson Stage II hemi, Comp Resins 12 spoke front wheels, Pro Tech details, MCW lacquer and custom decals by Keven Ellis

Bamtam1.jpg

The Hazen & Velebil AA/FA is also a Comp Resins body on a slightly modified Willy Borsh chassis, Comp Resins also provided the front wheels and the Moon valve covers, Pro Tech details, Tamiya white paint and Slixx decals

panic_HR.jpg

The "Big John" phantom AA/A is again a Comp Resins body on a Bantam Blast chassis, Comp Resins front wheels and injector & scoop, Pro Tech details, custom mixed Cobracolors lacquer and parts box decals ........... this build was based on the beautiful Reschlein & Trisch AA/A from Ohio

Reschlein%20amp%20Trisch%202_zpsmjloksjs

The Rat Trap phantom is a Bantam Blast kit with the rear fenders cut off and the addition of a Ross Gibson small block Chevrolet engine .............. Cobracolors lacquer and Slixx decals

I don't like fenders on Bantam bodies, but I built a spare phantom with fenders from a Bantam Blast kit ............ Cobracolors lacquer and parts box decals

And finally the Fiat Topolino is from the AMT double dragster kit with tires & wheels from the Revell Tony Nancy kit, Cobracolors lacquer and parts box decals

Old Coyote John, thanks for the info! Your cheat was well carried out.

Those pics too are fabulous, I like the lean and low look of the Bantams you're showing.

Another question please: I know from internet searching that some teams made the car so the body would tilt back. On these tilted cars, would the aluminum tubs be attached to the body so they would lift up too, or was this just an option while building the car? How was this handled most of the time? Tubs mounted on the side panels/frame or tubs mounted on the body?

Michael

Old Coyote John, thanks for the info! Your cheat was well carried out.

Those pics too are fabulous, I like the lean and low look of the Bantams you're showing.

Another question please: I know from internet searching that some teams made the car so the body would tilt back. On these tilted cars, would the aluminum tubs be attached to the body so they would lift up too, or was this just an option while building the car? How was this handled most of the time? Tubs mounted on the side panels/frame or tubs mounted on the body?

Michael

Don't know how much I can help you with this question .......... I only saw a few cars with tilt bodies, and those were mostly Fiat Topolinos .............. I don't recall any of the "Tilt" cars having wheel tubs ........... back in the mid '70's when I was racing, altereds weren't required to have tubs at all ............ most all at that time were just the body covering the slicks ........... the Rastetter car (which I am very familiar with) had the body bolted on to the chassis at four points ........... two people lifted the body to get it off :D

Here are some pictures I found

hynesShockley25-31_zpsa3sezyot.jpg

hynesShockley32-31_zps3z9r7zci.jpg

MondelloRay1_zpsulfgkj8u.jpg

imagesCAXNZR6P_zpssujozqnl.jpg

Very cool! My favorite is the Bones/Dubagh/Pisano phantom - wicked stance & a great color. What body is that, RMoM?

Thanks Matt, that's the styrene body out of the Bantam Blast kit .......... there are no aftermarket parts on that build other than a pre-wired magneto ............ the paint is Cobracolors Candy Wild Cherry mixed with a little Cobracolors Candy Aztec Gold over a metallic gold base

Hi John, I was thrilled too to see those tilted Bantams from the Awful Altered website. I've seen tubs on the Fiats, but none on the Bantam cars. Well, except for my model. I'll be attaching them to the body so they'll lift off when the body tilts back.

Did the underside of the rear end get messy with burnt rubber particles? How were the cars kept clean underneath? Also, the floor pan, did your car have the pan inside the frame, or was it hung from underneath? Did your feet have any extra support or was the aluminum pan all that your feet rested on?

Yet another question, if your car didn't have any tubs, was there debris flying into the car from the track, or from the spinning slicks?

I hope you don't mind me hitting you with this trivia, but we don't have many guys who would know this info and I think it's really interesting, and that I can make my model more accurate as well.

Michael