Model Cars Magazine Forum

Show displays. What do your builds get presented on.

I'm just curious if anyone has something to display their builds at a show. If you do, let's see how your stuff is presented.

My 1st display is an octagon shaped beveled mirror with vinyl lettering.

20150412_165008-1_zps99akhm6i.jpg

My next 2 are mirrored displays I made. The darker one is solid cherry wood. The other is solid oak. Working in a cabinet shop had its perks.

20150412_164447-1_zpsw6ydkk3z.jpg

Edited by Petetrucker07

Nothing fancy here, straight on the table along with the entry sheet and a list of all details and mods made. In some cases I'll also display some WIP photos. I haven't entered any shows in 5 years now so I don't know what some of the other guys do today.

BTW, very nice display bases Clayton

Edited by Modeltruckbuilder

I built this display specifically for my "lakes modified" car. All done with Evergreen sheet for the 2 base pieces (cut out rectangular hole for the mirror in the top piece). Used vinyl checkerboard shelf liner cut to be even all around. The mirror fits flush with the vinyl floor. The perimeter is Evergreen strip with beveled corners. There is another sheet of styrene underneath to make it appear to "float". Allthis is the same width as an AMT display case so when displayed, it keeps the dust off.

post-14132-0-63307100-1428886472_thumb.j

Thanks Anthony. I really enjoyed making them. I've been thinking of making a Lexan top for them. There's a place here in town that has Lexan for a reasonable price.

Wayne, that's cool the case top still fits. I may have to steal that idea for my cars and pickups.

Edited by Petetrucker07

I just did mine on the tablecloth. Some of my armor and aircraft have been on bases. Depends on the particular subject and what I have envisioned for it.

On your Pete, since that's a single drive wouldn't it a be 259 instead of a 359?

Source for that info is the Peterbilt Spotters Guide.

Nice displays Clayton!

When I was still active in shows, which has been many moons ago but I do plan on getting back into it once my big Ford is finally finished, I would display my cars on a mirror I cut to just a little bigger than the car itself and then used the little "tables" they put in pizza boxes in the center to keep the box off your pizza under all for wheels. I also used the clear plastic boxes that toothbrushes came in as another display prop, either the two halves under the front axle and rear axle if I wanted the entire model above the mirror or if I just wanted it angled, I would have the box halves together and under one side.

As for trucks, I usually (and what I plan to do under the Ford since it would probably need a 6 foot long mirror for truck and trailer) just cut some small rectangular mirror to fit underneath just to show important areas.

And yes, as a teenager (shows how long it's been since I competed in a show! :lol: ), I did cut my own mirrors to shape. I found a glass and mirror cutter in my dad's tools and my parents had some square mirror tiles that they had on a small wall in our living room as decoration and I used some of the leftovers for the displays.

Oh, and it did help once at a show that I did display them that way, one show that was just for racing cars I walked away with 1st place just because of my mirrors. It was a tight decision between my NASCAR and another NASCAR, and the judges placed the 1st beside mine just because they could see the underneath detail of mine. How do I know this??? The mother of the 2nd place winner was complaining to one of the judges "Why didn't my son win 1st place??" and on and on (while I'm packing up mine right beside her) and finally the judge said "Because we could see underneath his and not your sons." I bet from that day forward she made sure his was on mirrors! :lol:

That mom sure took the fun out of that poor kids hobby.

Thanks Matt.

I spent last weekend refinishing the shorter, oak display. It's stained almost as dark as the cherry one, and cleared many times to shiny finish. I also have another small oak display. It's perfect for a pickup or car. I refinished it darker to kinda match the others.

Nice display bases, Clayton! I'm building the Ford Drag Team truck and trailer and display everything I build in cases for dust reasons and was stumped about a case for something so big. Now that I have inspiration for the display case, I guess I'll have to head to the lumber yard and the glass shop.

for the most part, the rigs at shows I have been to are just on the table, not enough room for a lot of mirrors/display bases, plus it seems like most folks have a trailer on the truck as well, so the table space shrinks quickly.

cars on the other hand, due to the displays being smaller, lots of stands and mirrors.

for the most part, the rigs at shows I have been to are just on the table, not enough room for a lot of mirrors/display bases, plus it seems like most folks have a trailer on the truck as well, so the table space shrinks quickly.

Display space is always a concern with rigs at just about every show. In some cases a truck with trailer will take up over 3 feet

Well i did design a couple of displays that were about a foot long, to be 3D printed, with the angled mirror on the bottom and with or without supports to enclose in glass, but holy cow, you could buy all the tools and wood to build 3 or 4 for the same price. I wanted to offer them up as a nice ready to go display, but for a couple hundred bucks a shot, I'm not going to bother. Though I may them up as plans so if someone wanted to make them out of like basswood or something, they could be copied.

For mine I just picked up the wall supports, and 4 foot shelves.