Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford Vicky custom rod (Island Hopper)

Dirty Dave

I had an itch to build a '60s Hawaiian-style hot rod after watching the latest installment of Mad Fabricators' Society, so I went down to the LHS and picked up AMT's recently-reissued '32 Ford Vicky. Like East coast rods, island cars seem to be known for being deeply channelled, often running molded, raised fenders, and with as much sports car influence as hot rod style.

I started by modifying the interior to accomodate a deep channel (10+ scale inches?). After that, I re-shaped the front fenders:
islandhopper04_zpsj6uphnfb.jpg

A couple of shots of my mock-up with the kit-supplied custom fenders mounted a few scale inches above where originally designed:
islandhopper01_zpsiimrbqwj.jpg
islandhopper03_zpsrfaibdpa.jpg

islandhopper02_zpsvmwd2w1i.jpg

Engine for now looks like it will be a Hilborn-injected early SBC, but we'll see how that all works out.

Edited by Dirty Dave

That's cool. Where did the wheels come from?

They're Pegasus Sovereigns. I replaced the rear tires with the little slicks from the Monogram Slingster, which were a perfect fit. I think I'll probably add whitewalls or white lines to the slicks.

Edited by Dirty Dave

Yes sir, this one definitely has style and character all its own. I like the rake, the channel, the raised and bobbed fenders...pretty cool.

I'm thinking that about recontouring the bottom of the body slightly to give it more "sweep" and to let it flow better with the fender lines. The raised character line across the bottom of the rear may also go away too, if I don't replace it with some kind of roll pan or custom bumper/nerfs.

Am not sure how I want to route the exhaust yet. There is a set of machined aluminum perforated heat shields that I've been saving for the right project, but also have been wanting to build something with multiple scavenger pipes poking out from under the rear axle.

Edited by Dirty Dave

I like the look of this one! Sort of Lil Coffin style.

Yeah, I don't plan to go QUITE as stylized as Lil Coffin's later incarnations, but I've always liked the earlier version, with the roof pillars and more of a stock front end and running boards - like the 1/32 scale Aurora kit. The Vicky and B-400 always seemed cooler than a tudor, so when I thought about doing a channelled deuce again (already built a crazy hemi-powered lowboy roadster several years back), I knew it had to be a Victoria.

Dave, This is almost a ditto of my comments on Andy's "Misfit Ford" you guys must be reading each other's mind or something. This looks so "East Coast" Style. If you don't already have any pick up, find, beg, borrow or steal (not that I condone theft but it's part of the saying) copies of "Rodding and Re-styling" magazines it was one of the voices of the 50's - 60's East Coast Hot Rod scene. Lots of wild street and show Hot Rods what really defines the East Coast Style is the degree of channeling and either no or very mild top chops.

Love your "New" twist on the 32 Vicky, just when you think you've sorta seen everything that could be done with a Hot Rod someone resurrects an idea out of the past in a really cool way. Keep it up, this one has the potential to be really cool!

I may be a west coast guy, but I have a long standing appreciation for east coast and midwest rods and -to a lesser extent- customs. I have some old magazines with car show coverage out of New York, Detroit and even Florida back in the day. I'm glad that I can still come up with something that looks a little different, while generally maintaining a traditional vibe. Now I need to go check out the Misfit Ford again.

Today's progress isn't anything really worth taking pics of, but:

• A Revell '59 Corvette surrendered its water pump for the SBC sourced from the Slingster. Previously being a drag mill, cooling obviously wasn't a priority.
  • The recessed firewall from a Revell '32 was melded into the cowl to allow for distributor clearance. As far as this car has been channelled, the tunneled section is right at the top of the firewall, and I still may have to relieve it further, letting the distributor cap/wires poke out the top.
  • This beast got its drop axle, too. A unit from the Lindberg vintage sprint modifieds double kit has just the right drop, front/rear position and width to place the front wheels right under the front fenders without having to shim them for clearance. I still need to come up with the right radius rods/split wishbones, and set up the steering.

The next task will be to get the motor mounts finished up so that I can make some headers and exhaust pipes. I've decided to run four 2-into-1 headers that will run straight out under the rear axle with unmuffled, flared scavenger pipes. A long-time dream of mine is to build a rod with scavenger pipes, and even with as low as it sits, the chassis has enough rake to make them work.

More pics will be forthcoming as soon as real headway is made that shows. When the headers, motor mounts and any remaining engine details figured are out, I'll start painting the engine, and can probably start painting and detailing the front and rear suspension subassemblies tomorrow, as well. I'm thinking axles will be pearl white - show car style.

Edited by Dirty Dave

Sectioned grille shell and insert. Final suspension starting to go underneath.
32Vicky003_zpsgm5rykrf.jpg

Will likely ditch the frame horns, and cover the stubs with headlights.
32Vicky001_zpsndz2qklr.jpg

The blue windows are cool, but may cut loose the windshield, and install the clear one during final assembly.

32Vicky002_zpsxizy4c5h.jpg