Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kenworth K500 Coe

When Kenworth stopped using their own K100 cab on the C500K heavy COE last year, I saw the prototypes with DAF cabs and wondered how difficult it would be to build one of these.

K500edit.jpg

I found an Italeri DAF XF SpaceCab kit on eBay, bought it, and scrounged up some old Paystar frame parts and started slicing and dicing.

Finished Photos are after the in-progress photos

K500cabmod2808.jpg

K500beforeprime21008.jpg

K500primer21108.jpg

K500roof21308.jpg

K500freshpaint21408.jpg

Finished Photos

K500left22208.jpg

K500rear22208.jpg

K500cabrear22208.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Tim

Edited by mackinac359

Cool stuff, Tim! Do you know if they're currently offering the trucks with the DAF cabs, or if these were merely prototypes?

Hey, perhaps GM could reintroduce the GMC Astro/Chevy Titan with an Isuzu cab!

They sorta did. Both GMC and Chevrolet sold re-badged versions of the Isuzu Giga in South- and Central America over the past decade.

Thanks for the info, Tim. Didn't know if those were a couple of one-offs or what; didn't see anything on the K500 on the Kenworth website.

I'm usually not one for most KW/Pete stuff, but the obscure super-heavy-duty and/or off-road stuff always catch my fancy. Or the American/European hybrids. This falls into both categories.

Can't wait to see more!

Tim,

I like the KW/DAF whatever-the-heck-it-is. Very cool. Does this mean that the KW K100 is no more and the K500 will be replacing it here in the US? I always wondered when PACCAR was going to start importing DAFs to the US. Will Peterbilt be using the DAF cab for anything that you know of?

Jim

Kenworth stopped production of the K100 cab last year and now uses the DAF cab for the export/oilfield COEs.

Peterbilt and KW use a DAF cab in for the Peterbilt 260 (K270?) COE.

Starting in 2009, the DAF 12.9litre engine will be built here in the US for KW and PB's as an alternative to Cummins and Cat engines. A huge facility is being built in Alabama.

There is a DAF 12.9 in this Peterbilt 388

Witte38812-9rg.jpg

Tim

I'd heard about the DAF 12.9 engine. Is that the same as the PACCAR engine?

Interesting info on the PB 260 and the KW K270(?). MAybe one of those "high-speed" resin casters out there might make a conversion kit for the current DAF XF95 kit. Still like that DAF though, but it would be interesting to have one in the collection with KW badges, too.

• 5 years later...

Philip d'Hondt from Belgium also build one of these monsters. It was shown at the Jabbeke 'on the road' show two weeks ago.

DSCF0309-vi.jpg

In fact he also had a 3-axle version ready in 2012.

DSCF0118-vi.jpg

I think they look really great.

Hessel

Edited by Hessel