Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Toyota AA Type

martinfan5

• 1 month later...

For those that are waiting on this one, its been released as of today

Still nothing on the HLJ site....but the price has gone up quite a bit.

Hobby Search (which still shows the original price too) has posted several pictures and the instruction sheet...looks good!

Edited by mike 51

Still nothing on the HLJ site....but the price has gone up quite a bit.

Hobby Search (which still shows the original price too) has posted several pictures and the instruction sheet...looks good!

Most of time, HLJ is about a day or two behind 1999, I would expect to get a PR tomorrow for it. Even with the price increase, its comes to $26 US, that is an excellent price for a kit of Tamiya like quality

Most of time, HLJ is about a day or two behind 1999, I would expect to get a PR tomorrow for it. Even with the price increase, its comes to $26 US, that is an excellent price for a kit of Tamiya like quality

I agree..it.looks like a very nice kit..should be fun to build.

That sounds about right...what shipping service did you use?

I think it was your advice that led me to use EMS to begin with.

If so, thanks!

Well, I just shipped 9 kits, I went with FedEx this time, hoping to have it here for the holiday weekend, if I went with EMS, I would have it Monday (I still could get the shipment on Monday via FDX)

I may have missed out on part of the engine discussion on what would be a good match to put into this, the closest in appearance would be the engine form the 1950 Chevrolet 3100 pickup, even though it's supposed to be a 216 c.i. instead of a 235, they're virtually identical in appearance, this is a 1/25 scale engine though, the only 1/24 Chevy I can think of comes in the Monogram 1953 Chevy hardtop kit, and that with the stock valve cover is about the same in appearance with the center bolt valve cover instead of the bolts on the perimeter, only problem is it comes with a powerglide two speed automatic transmission instead of the manual three speed.

Most don't know it, but ALL the Chevrolet sixes all the way back to the little 194 c.i. have all the passages for pressure oiling systems in the block, all it would take is drilling and tapping the needed passages for the oil pump and its mounting bolts. From the outside the dimensions are the same, it's not until you get into the GMC 270 c.i. engine does the outside dimensions change, the trick to putting the longer "Jimmy" into the Chevy is using a Pontiac water pump that is much shorter.

Just a little 1:1 stuff for the inline fans.

Edited by horsepower

Just picked mine up today at the LHS. One interesting feature of the kit is that the body and interior trees are molded in polystyrene, while the chassis and chrome trees are molded in ABS. I'm sure Tamiya had a good reason for engineering it this way, but it's inconvenient- I wanted to start building it, and now need to purchase some cement for ABS plastic.

yes that sounds very strange.

does it say in the instrux that some parts are ABS and you need special cement?

never heard of such a thing. there must be a physical difference between the ABS and the styrene? What would that be?

very strange

edit to add: if the surface of the ABS is kind of slippery/oily, then I think epoxy will work but probably not CA glue. at least that has been my experience with material I am imagining is similar to what I think of as ABS.

jb

Edited by jbwelda