Model Cars Magazine Forum

The first Jaguar

Harry P.

This is the Minicraft 1939 Jaguar SS100 in 1/16 scale. The car was built by SS Cars. Ltd., which changed its name to Jaguar Cars Ltd. in 1945. The SS100 was the first car to be badged a "Jaguar" (on the grille shell).

For all you Jaguar purists, sorry about the color! :lol: I'm just tired of the "traditional" BRG, or red, or any of the "expected" colors... so I went way off the grid and went with a rich chocolatey brown. Yep, a brown Jaguar! :D.

If you're interested, there's a WIP of this model here.

I added some details to the kit, including a scratchbuilt convertible top boot, a storage trunk behind the seats, and a folding windshield with small secondary wind screens. The model was missing the clear parts tree, so the windshield and the smaller windscreens were made of clear Lexan, I cut away the molded-in "mesh" on the grille shell, which wasn't mesh at all, bit molded solid, and replaced it with real mesh that I "chromed" with Spaz Stix. Ditto on the headlight stone guards.

The small marker lights on the front fender tops (turn signals?) are lost. I have no idea where they went. I know they were in the kit because I remember working with them (removing flash). Then I put them aside to install later, and now I can't find them anywhere. I hope I'll find them eventually, but as of now they're missing.

As always, comments, criticisms, and questions are welcome.

f3_zpsxl6bwagt.jpg

f2_zps9zxs7rfb.jpg

f1_zps9iwsleer.jpg

f5_zpsavawtt41.jpg

f4_zps5e55k7fj.jpg

f6_zpsmp2kjjuy.jpg

Absolutely stunning! Is your "real" open mesh as described in the WIP aftermarket or cut out of the screen door?

It's just plain old fiberglass window screen material left over from when I had to replace a torn screen on the house.

Great shots, Harry! Surprising, too... I always had in mind that the SS100 was significantly _bigger_ than the MG, but clearly not. I'll just have to add a Finecast 1/24 SS100 to the stash alongside the Monogram MG, and try it myself!

bestest,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon