Model Cars Magazine Forum

Your worst builds

We all have made some pretty bad models, I bet. Here's what I consider to be my worst.

image.jpg1_zpsjvhvxqch.jpg

Made back around when I was seven or eight, maybe. This is all that's left of it. The hood, I glopped on a bunch of Testor's Black and tried to make it look like carbon fiber with paper towels. The AAR decal wouldn't stick to the weird surface it made...

image.jpg2_zpsbqygwtke.jpg

I guess I really wanted the rear panel to stay there! :lol:

Seeing this, I'm kinda glad I don't have the rest of it. The paint did come out nice, though.

What do you consider to be your worst existing build?

Like Ray said most of the BAD ones are in a landfill or something. But I do have this one from my late teens. I'd just discovered the model mags and had realized what the big boys were doing as far as detailing. So this was my first attempt at major modifications and detailing. You might look at the first two and say, "Oh that's not too bad." :D Then look at the third. :lol:

000_0128.jpg

000_0127.jpg

000_0129.jpg

Like others have said most of my really bad ones got burned or blown up years ago. Now if one is going awry I just put it back in the box until either I figure out how to do it correctly or my skills get better and I can realize my vision.

All of my bad ones become good ones eventually when i could not afford to buy new kits,

eventually, they all get a make over, even now, i like to build 1 new kit, then do a rebuilder .

Edited by DeeCee

Here's what I consider to be my worst.

I'm sure you can fix it now, if you've been practicing

my worst build? depends what you mean by 'worst'

this is probably the most damaged model i've built, but it was done like that on purpose to replicate MRS Oregon from Graveyard Cars.

graveyard2_zps2cf71bb4.jpg

but this is probably my least favorite build. it was a real 'throw it together' project. i need to get in and detail that engine.

charger500-6_zps08f8e1ff.jpg

Edited by kruleworld

Like Ray said most of the BAD ones are in a landfill or something. But I do have this one from my late teens. I'd just discovered the model mags and had realized what the big boys were doing as far as detailing. So this was my first attempt at major modifications and detailing. You might look at the first two and say, "Oh that's not too bad." :D Then look at the third. :lol:

000_0128.jpg

000_0127.jpg

000_0129.jpg

Other than the plug wires, I actually kinda like that. :P

This is by far not the worst build I've ever done.

But its the the worst one I happen to still have... And to be honest Its one of my favorites today. And is highly unlikely it will ever get 'redone'

post-9887-0-17593400-1428405504.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

I don't have pictures of any bad builds and to be honest I am proud of most of my builds even if they are not good by my current standards. Every model has been steppingstone for better skills.

But I have wrecked some models, one that springs to mind is Tamiyas Jaguar mkII in racing version. I decided I wanted to make a convertible, so I cut the roof off. Then I changed my mind and tried to glue it back on....it did not get on straight. I also tested out a differnt type of spray can paint and I covered it in a very thick layer of mettallic blue that covered any remaining details on the body.

000_0128.jpg

000_0127.jpg

000_0129.jpg

Dude I've seen folks who were trying and didn't come close to this good!!! I'm with Tommy.....it aint half bad!! (it don't matter 'bout the plug wires either! At least your's has got 'em)

Edited by mustang1989

Here's mine from my mid to late teens. Notice the cap gun "caps" under the leaf springs for added ride height. Wow! LOLOLOL. It was up higher before the rear end fell from the backs of the wheels in all those years at my parents house. I guess we all have to come from some where!!

and this is on her good side.........emotion-8.gif

DSCN0044_zpsdhuytvm1.jpg

DSCN0045_zpstlbyr60t.jpg

Like I was sayin....at least yours had plug wires.............

DSCN0046_zpsx7osbz27.jpg

Definitely all late 70's/ early 80's talkin' here!

DSCN0043_zpstzxtydhq.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

It is either this one... Built box stock in the early 70's. Got a Hemi, snorkel scoop, and yellow paint with fish eyes in the late 70's. And finally got tubbed with printer's plates in the mid eighties. The tubs were fast and dirty just get the feel of working with the aluminum.

Thames1LR-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Thames2LR-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Or this gnarly effort at making my own trike. The body was made from light panels from a left over kitchen remodel. Smooth side for the body. Bumpy side for the seat, I loved Testors dark blue bottle paints. It covered everything in one pass!

Thetrike2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Let's see...

1: Requires putty to even build properly.... check.

2: More flash than the Bowery in downtown Manhattan on a Saturday night..... check.

3: Poor fitment..... check.

4: "Unbuildabe"?.... Maybe not, but a definite test of a modeller's skills and patience.

Dodge%20Daytona%201_zpsmbe650si.jpg

Dodge%20Daytona%202_zpsfnel0r43.jpg

Mvc001s-vi.jpg

It's a goob mobile! Yea Team! We suck! :D Actually I bought it that way, only added the wheels. It had a lot of paint on it, many brush coats. I got curious and decided to use it as a Chameleon Paint Stripper test car....

Mvc018s-vi.jpg

One overnight in a sealed container and it all came off. Tough part was that the paint was holding it together. The whole roof broke off in several pieces. Now a funny story.... the photo above started to appear in other people's stories about paint strippers. In one story the guy said he was stripping it in brake fluid and in another story it was CSC. I wrote to each guy and they swore it was their own photo... um, that is my back yard and Dodge Caravan in the background!

MVC003S-vi.jpg

Last time I played, it looked something like this!

Oh sure claim that pic as your own. Thats the time I tried to use that napalm based stripper. Worked really good, maybe too good...LOL

I never could figure out why someone would try to take credit for someone elses build (especially here). I cant build for BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH, but they are my builds. I would rather be remembered as someone who was trying, rather than someone who was trying to lie about what I can do. Just my thoughts....

Oh sure claim that pic as your own. Thats the time I tried to use that napalm based stripper. Worked really good, maybe too good...LOL

I never could figure out why someone would try to take credit for someone elses build (especially here). I cant build for BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH, but they are my builds. I would rather be remembered as someone who was trying, rather than someone who was trying to lie about what I can do. Just my thoughts....

Reminds me of a story... there once was a sad soul who fancied himself a model dealer. Picture Squiggy with bad hygiene.. he'd come to club meetings and enter models in the monthly contest. We all knew that we had never seen any in progress models from him, but he'd show up with nicely built models we knew he bought in collections, but was passing off as his own work. So we started a thing where the three winners would stand up in front of the room and tell us about their model, how it was built etc. This guy stumbled... pretty darn clear he had no clue how it was built, what chassis, paint etc... so he soon stopped entering our contests! :lol: