Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24th scale Pro-Touring Tires and Wheels. Gauging Interest

I got the test tires today! I had them printed in Black and in extreme detail frosted. The frosted is hard to photograph, they will need some paint to bring out the detail.

The black ones actually look very nice. The tread shows up great and looks correct. The sidewall lettering is a little blobby but you can't really see it anyway unless you are looking thru opti-visors so I don't think it will matter. It's not like this style of tire has a raised white letter anyway. If I was using these I would put a thin coat of matte clear on them and build away.

The Extreme Frosted are incredible! You can read the sidewall lettering. Even though I couldn't get a good photo of it, it is there. Let me know what you guys think but the black ones could be used as is with jus a little clear to seal them up.

Mark Smakal

MAS 3D In Scale

post-601-0-79600700-1429989638_thumb.jpg

post-601-0-80187300-1429989649_thumb.jpg

post-601-0-01797600-1429989658_thumb.jpg

post-601-0-09756900-1429989667_thumb.jpg

post-601-0-32425700-1429989752_thumb.jpg

Got some quick rims turned this morning. I mocked the black tires up under a '69 Camaro convertible I am working on. Stance isn't perfect but the body and interior are just sitting on some spacers and, as you can see, there are no centers in the wheels.

You guys tell me what you think. I am also looking for someone to resin cast these. if any one is interested PM me and we can talk.

Mark Smakal

MAS 3D In Scale

post-601-0-38119700-1430060272_thumb.jpg

post-601-0-01861700-1430060283_thumb.jpg

post-601-0-92051600-1430060290_thumb.jpg

post-601-0-31498800-1430060299_thumb.jpg

Those look good! I hate buying kits just for the wheels/tires so it would be nice to have another option for tires. Now, if you could figure out a way to make some G-Machine chassis (Art Morrison) etc you would really have my attention :D

Those look good! I hate buying kits just for the wheels/tires so it would be nice to have another option for tires. Now, if you could figure out a way to make some G-Machine chassis (Art Morrison) etc you would really have my attention :D

What do you need? These are pics of the 1:1 model Astro I am building. The chassis, suspensions, engine and most everything that required modification OR fabrication is modeled in 3D CAD on my home computer. As you can see I am well on the way to getting this done.

The BIGGEST issue with producing parts like this is making them affordable. It is my first hand experience that no one wants to pay for the upfront cost of producing the 3D CAD and the printed masters. I have quite a few hours into the above tires and wheels and will bite the bullit on the design and printing costs just to see the products through to completion. I can't afford to do this with every single part I produce.

Mark

post-601-0-09449800-1430320969_thumb.jpg

post-601-0-13622900-1430320982_thumb.jpg

post-601-0-28120600-1430320999_thumb.jpg

post-601-0-47064600-1430321016_thumb.jpg

post-601-0-17989600-1430321024_thumb.jpg

Edited by astroracer

• 3 weeks later...

I have the 3D Printed Vectors in hand and they look incredible! I haven't had time to get pics but I will do that in the next couple of days. These things turned out beautiful, I just hope a resin caster can do them justice...

Mark

Edited by astroracer

I have the 3D Printed Vectors in hand and they look incredible! I haven't had time to get pics but I will do that in the next couple of days. These things turned out beautiful, I just hope a resin caster can do them justice...

Mark

Count me as an interested buyer! 3D printing and resin casting is opening up a whole new avenue for us model builders. Variety of sizes over and above what the current market provides is awesome too.

when is the target date to actually have these for sale, if I may ask. I would like to get a set or two and don't want to miss them. would love those cheater slicks too, especially in 1/8 scale for a project I have going

jb

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Probably not happening guys. I haven't received any real interest in these. Tires or wheels. I know a few of you have spoken up but, 5 or 6 "potential" buyers just don't make it worth while. Not only from the cost of the 3D CAD time and the printed parts but also the time and money spent in rubber and resin to reproduce them.

I do have the Vector wheels on hand and they turned out beautiful, I haven't taken photos just because the interest isn't there. The guy that stiffed me on these really screwed up because the wheels and tires tuned out great!

If anyone wants to pursue them further please PM me, I am open to suggestions but right now I am thinking these will be shelved.

Mark Smakal

3D In Scale