Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello. This is a build that I am doing for a friend. He purchased the kit and supplies and throwing in a bit of cash,

This thing is a monster. not sure what I got myself into.. but I have started it.

Pictures. are of the front landing gear bay almost completed.

IMG_4591_zpswexvmnhy.jpg

IMG_4592_zps9bzvmhrr.jpg

IMG_4593_zps0qhmprv0.jpg

Thanks for looking.

If you any of you guys Built this kit before please assist with any known issues.

Every one is welcomed to comment good or bad.

Looking forward to your progress. I've never owned the kit either, but I remember seeing an actual B-1B flying nap-of-the-earth during Roving Sands '93 near our PATRIOT site at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico. Very impressive. We still "shot him down", but it was still impressive none the less.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

could never understand the advantage of the b1 over the b58.

My understanding is that the B1 can carry at least 30,000 pounds more bomb-load (perhaps as much as 65,000 pounds more), flies almost as fast with the wings swept back, and lands slower with the wings extended...making for an easier aircraft to operate, with much more destructive power (using conventional weapons, anyway). The B-58 was really intended to be a delivery system for a single nuclear weapon, and ICBMs took over the role there.

The 58, though highly sophisticated technologically (for the time) and one of the most strikingly beautiful aircraft ever built, was also reputed to be kinda a PITA. To keep the aircraft trimmed required constant shifting of the fuel between tanks...which I seem to recall was done manually by the flight engineer. At mach+, she would be burning a lot of fuel, and trim was critical.

I think politics came into the decision to retire the 58s as well, and I was personally very disappointed to see them go. The B1 is an impressive machine up close, but I don't think there will ever be an airplane that looks more the part of America's top-of-the-line bomber than the B-58.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Goin' with the B-1 here! Bustin' out with the big dawgs are ya? I got this kit when I was just a kid for Christmas and I couldn't believe how big this thing was. I can remember it being the biggest kit under the tree and my reaction when I tore the wrapping paper off of it. Aside from a little body work to take care of those seams, it looks like you're heading in a good direction with it there Andre.

Edited by mustang1989