Model Cars Magazine Forum

Painting black window trim- 2009 Challenger

I'm working on a 2009 Challenger, and could use some help with the window trim. I'm not talking about the black on the clear parts (windshield, etc.). My problem is the black plastic/ rubber that goes around the window openings on the body. I would like to spray it if possible. I'm thinking about spraying the black, masking it with BMF, and them spraying the body color. Or would it be better to paint the body, mask that, and then spray the black? Or are there other alternatives? There are a lot of areas on this car where black meets body color: all four window openings, grille, taillight area, rocker panels, air dam, and some areas under the hood. Suggestions please! Thanks much.

Personally I would use the sharpie,but if you do want to go with paint or the area is too big for a sharpie I suggest you use BMF for the edge of the area you want to paint and then make sure to mask of the rest of the surrounding area with tamiya tape or a similar substitute. Make sure of course to do this after the body color has dried.

If I can run the tape along the edge of the trim without cutting it, I will, but if I can't, I apply the tape, and carefully trim with a fresh blade. I used semi-gloss black, but with the low psi and just barely pulling the trigger black to avoid runs and bleeding under the tape, it came out a lot more flat than semi-gloss.