Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm doing research to build a lifted 4X4 Blazer. I want to take a shot at making my own coil over shocks. So far Ive found it easy to find shock length. But what I can't find is coil size, turns per inch/ft., pretty much any other sizes

Anybody have any specs or maybe some place I could look?

Due to the nature of springs being what they are, different compounds will have different density, thickness of the wire, diameter, etc. Unless you are trying to replicate a specific setup, the eyeball method will be fine. Just like you can take any smallblock chevy engine and put whatever CID inside of it you wish. There are no real bores in the engine. There are no real spring rates that are going to affect performance when you are building a static model. Do what looks good to you is my advice, unless there is something I'm missing, which I admit is entirely possible.

Yeah the springs will vary from the same lift kit more or less depending on what kind of truck and even depending upon the year it's for, which is why I said eyeball it, but if it's a specific setup you could always write the manufacturer of the lift and ask them, most would be happy to help. I've done that type of thing many times.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I guess I can add to this one a little bit..... As some may have seen, I'm building a series of trucks.... My "Father & Son" set of 2 Dodge trucks being the most recent. Found here:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101687

In this build, the shocks, are a collaboration of parts, and scratchbuilding. Starting out, the mount plate to the leaf springs, was a "glue bomb" parts or parts that I had. I cut off the shocks that were on there they were smeared with glue and warped! SO, I removed them, and made my own with Evergreen Scale Models, styrene telescopic tubing. Seen here:

1978_Dodge_Power_Wagon_021.jpg

1978_Dodge_Power_Wagon_057.jpg

Needless to say, the yellow and silver is the telescopic plastic tubing from Evergreen Scale Models plastic shapes. THEN where the larger diameter tubing meets the inserted smaller tubing, I added a small "boot" thats heat shrink tubing. THEN comes the fun, I have a Unimat milling center, that I had made a Spring arbor with to make my own "springs" NOT made with spring steel mind you, ANY "wire" I might have laying around. (NOT for real use as a "spring" so to speak), ONLY for looks, I'd have to have true spring steel wire to make a REAL "working" spring! This spring arbor I have is basically telescopic STEEL tubing, made to mount onto the headstock shaft of my Unimat in its "Lathe" setting.

SO I took this, and used Micheals necklace wire for making your own necklaces, BLACK wire bought that way, and made some..... just .050" BIGGER in diameter then the smallest shock tubing I used. This would allow me to slip the spring I made over that section of the shock, WITH paint on it, without "marring" the paint! The boot acts as a mount, then the other end was pin glued to the mount on the leaf spring. BEFORE this was glued o the leaf spring. (The shocks were made, then mounted to the truck!)

As I type this, I did not mention, more the reason I needed to make my own shocks, one reason being the ones I had, and even these, were to short as this truck sits a bit high as my real one did.

Then before my trucks were started I did the spring arbor on my Unimat, when I was building my '57 Chrysler 300C...... I wanted coil overs on it so... I needed a way to make these spring coils, and thats when I sat out to make the arbor, BUT..... I needed the arbor to allow me to make springs as I seen fit, in other words, diameter, to fit not only custom made shocks, BUT factory kit shocks too!

SO, I did!

1957_Chrysler_300C_037.jpg

The shocks seen in this picture of my upside down '57 300, ARE the stock shocks to that kit! With my own fitted coil over shocks!

-And thats how I do it!

Single strand picture hanging wire should do fine for making a working spring. Doesn't have to be full on, but it's steel and will hold it's shape better, though working suspension is a PITA. I've done it even with leaf springs made from styrene and making my own shackles. Can't beat the coolness factor but won't look very realistic. I'd say Mr. Patten here has the right idea. When making my springs I've always just used a screw. You can size the wire to the screw and vice versa. I'm lucky enough to have a mill and lathe too(though it sits in my living room in my 4th floor apartment HAHA), I'd probably stick with the screw method, but well I'm a bit on the lazy side sometimes. Of course firing up the lathe is awfully noisy. Especially on the 4th floor.

Wow, nice build, Hemi! Unfortunately, I dont have enough time now to red the whole thread, but I will make the time. I can see getting some good idea and motivation. Thanks for your input.

fantacmet-I liked your idea of doing wire around a screw. Good idea! Thanks, I'm going to try it

Thanks guys for your help

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, nice build, Hemi! Unfortunately, I dont have enough time now to red the whole thread, but I will make the time. I can see getting some good idea and motivation. Thanks for your input.

fantacmet-I liked your idea of doing wire around a screw. Good idea! Thanks, I'm going to try it

Thanks guys for your help

Thanks Jeff!!!! I hope that gave ya some inspiration! Have a look at my "Father & Son" build, to see the whole thing so far, to date. I do however got more to add to it!

Glad I could help in someway shape or form!