Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Dodge Charger R/T

Yo Jutt

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys. Still not a lot of action on this.. But I was wondering and hopefully some of you can help me on this. I am new to scratch building and really would like to replicate the Fast and furious front end on this car. Any ideas on on how go about this? Thanks for looking.

post-14733-0-20619500-1435721433_thumb.j

I'm going to be honest. If you are new to scratcbuilding you may want. To wait on tackling a project like that. My advice, start small, like an air cleaner, nitrous tanks, shifter boots and shifter levers. Then ease into body mods. I'm not trying to discourage you, just want you to happy with the results. And the best way to do that is to start small. I remember my first scratchbuilt part. It was a very simple seT delete for a Shelby gt350. I was so proud of it. Now I'm building parts I could only dream of just a few years ago.

Well my thinking was if I build the front grill and I do a bad job of it I won't bother with the body work that goes with it. I still have the front grill from the kit to slap on the front end if all goes south. I do understand the crawl before I walk aspect. When I look and this kit is on the shelf I'll be able to say I tried. By no means am I disregarding your advice. I just want to try it and if it doesn't fit or it looks like an eyesore, it just won't go on. thanks for looking.

I'm with you Jutt... Give it a shot... It IS just a model... If you stuff it up... Try again ?

Best/easiest way to replicate the grill... Cut out the entire centre section & replace it with ( scale ) mesh ?... You can get the mesh on-line from just about any good on-line hobby retailer ( try bnamodelworld.com ) ??

I'm fairly new but hopefully i can help. I have recently worked on the cars from the movies as well. Grilles were resin (modelhaus) but hacked up pretty good. The mesh, if looking for budget materials, check local dollar store for a pan strainer. Could get 30 grilles easy, and only a dollar. These are the only pics I have handy right now and weren't finished at that time...

post-9809-0-90471000-1435854355_thumb.jp

post-9809-0-08779600-1435854385_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

Well it's been a while but a lot has been going on.. Work got super busy.. Then on top of that we moved across town. So now being in our new place I have a finished basement. So kinda harder to find a work space. But here are a few pics. I've been trying a few different custom grilles and have come up with nothing but a lot of goofy looking things that would never belong on a car. Oh well, still new at this so I have lots of time to learn how some of you guys do such a great job. So I painted up the stock one.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you'll ever hit the nail on the head in terms to the true 1970 front-end that is on Dom's Charger unless Revell makes a kit, but you could get close with a grille from a 1968 kit. Unlike the '69 grill, the '68 doesn't have the center divider in the middle of grille. It's just mesh all the way across.

1968-dodge-003.jpg

Brandon

Well guys thanks to all who followed along and gave input along the way. Had a few issues I'm not happy with. But I'm happy with it. Still new to this and I think this is the best one yet! Thanks again guys for encouragement! Will be posting in under glass tomorrow when I can get brighter pictures. But here are a few I got tonight.image.thumb.jpg.37db659eab1745f328e99d32

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg