Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thames Woody

Fun project.

For woodgrain, to make a scale acoustic guitar, I loosely mixed Testors yellow and Turn Signal Amber (and perhaps something else such as brown as well) on a piece or cardboard or similar for a palette.  The idea is to let the paint streak and vary in color as you brush it on the model surface.  For a woodie's framing, I'd try a darker mix.

IMG_1324.JPG

A modern equivalent would be the OHV Ford engine in the Tamiya Lotus Seven

Those old Thames and 4 door Prefect cars were dire. Under powered and fell over easy if cornered too fast. 0-60 in about five hours because that how long it took to find a long enough steep down hill run with a tail wind. And then you were lucky to get to 60. LOL

So, I won a Heller Citroen truck kit on Ebay (seller in USA) when gets here I'll post the engine side by side with teh 4 banger...then decide.

In the meantime, I'll need to keep working on back dating the body shell to  a stock Thames panel.

I have PE grilles on the way from Model Car Garage, both the front and R and L side grilles in the hood.

The photo Joe/Southpier sourced, as well as one I found in Gasser Wars magazine, indicates I need to add wood crossmembers across the top of both the driver and passenger doors,  and trim/angle the wood cross members along the bottom of the roof rain gutter,  to more accurately represent a stock Thames woody.

Edited by SpeedShift

The Heller Citroen truck kit arrived.....I pulled the engine parts and made a comparison to the Revell 4 banger.

When compared the stock Thames/Anglia engine pictures , the Heller engine (grey)is more accurate for the valve cover, exhaust and fuel intake location, but is a bit too large in height and length when compared to the Revell 4 banger (white) for the Thames engine compartment. I think I'm going to heavily modify the Revell 4 banger.

Citroen engine 1.JPG

Citroen engine 2.JPG

Edited by SpeedShift

I modified the Revell 4 banger to match reference pictures for a stock Thames/Anglia engine. 

Reduced the engine bock size, switched the intake and carburetor and the exhaust ports from the right to left side. Scrounged an air cleaner from the parts stash.

Air cleaner looks too large, but photos indicate different models had very different air cleaner shapes and sizes so maybe I'll go with it, or just sand it down.

modified engine 1.JPG

modified engine 3.JPG

Edited by SpeedShift

The engine compartment has a deck, like a battery tray in front of the firewall, so I'll need to adjust the space in the engine compartment to allow for that.

The modified engine also needs to sit lower in the compartment.

The stock Thames "Gasser" kit crossmember was made a bit large to accommodate the big Chevy fuel injected engine, which was located further back on the front frame, and the kit crossmember interferes with placement of the smaller Thames engine more to the front and positioned lower.

I'll need to cut off the stock kit front crossmember with the new axle I made,  and replace it with a smaller crossmember, to make the adjustment.

Edited by SpeedShift

Got some PE saw blades from Model Car Garage so used one to cut the hood from the kit flip front end and grille.

Found some pleated bucket seats that I sawed in two that will replace the bench seat I was going to use, and found a parts box dash board to modify.

Here's the new component status as of this evening.

revised components.JPG

rear axle.JPG

PB292920.JPG

PB292927.JPG

Edited by SpeedShift

On 11/29/2020 at 11:53 AM, SpeedShift said:

A new photo I found shows the stock Thames had a single leaf spring over an older model rear axle/differential...looks like my previous unit with dual leaf springs and 9inch has to go.

rear suspension 1.JPG

1951-ford-thames-anglia-panel-1.jpg

1951-ford-thames-anglia-panel-10.jpg

1951-ford-thames-anglia-panel-7.jpg

Those bare sheet metal photos are perfect for your project. Very unusual pictures to take for any reason.