Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thames Woody

22 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

Great work on the seats Jim !

on the question of where to put a spare..how about on a swing away JEEP type rear hanger..?

Either way doing a great job on the Woody ?

Thanks for the suggestion,... that might work. Have to see what I can figure out when the new door hinges are made.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've considered masking off and spray painting the darker wood panels. or trying cutting out and inserting a wood grain paper product in each. 

Thought first -   I'd give hand painting with Tamiya bottle paint washes and see how it looks.

Wet on wet washes with a detail brush using Desert Yellow, NATO Brown, Red Brown and Lemon Yellow, with flat white and flat black as tints and shades.

After this base dries. I'll go back with a detail brush to add some grain, then overcoat with clear yellow.

P2023393 (2).JPG

Edited by SpeedShift

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, styromaniac said:

Lookin good. What gloss black did you use ?

This time I used bottle Tamiya gloss black thinned 50 % and shot with a paasche airbrush...Tamiya clear yellow over both the wood panels and frames to blend together....still have some flaws  ...dust here and there...mask leaks,  but think those can be fixed.

Edited by SpeedShift

This was the toughest component of the whole build...the PE GRILLE PIECES.

Tried my patience...gluing on top of the paint job ...trying not to break the grille bars which are like the width of a human hair.

A you can see...need to decide if I can realign them or ditch it altogether.

2010692449_ThamesPEgrille1.thumb.JPG.31181351c0aade7c17f885a6864995d2.JPG

Thames PE GRILLE 2.JPG

Edited by SpeedShift

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I tried my early skills building a cottage cast 1949 Ford Station Wagon (Robert Antonucci of San Bernardino) WAY back in 1985. A rare scale model, then and now.

Bob cast them with the simulated wooden frame so all that was needed was to paint the frame and either paint or install veneer for the panels.

I dry brushed the woodgrain and clear coated with semi gloss.

It's all finished and sitting in my stash.

I'll dig it out and snap some pics...one day.

I wanted to see what ideas anyone had about crafting the wooden frame by hand.

That seems to harder to me than painting realistic woodgrain.

• 1 year later...

I've taped the doors closed to get the body shell aligned while the glue sets on the body to frame joints.

Cutting clear plastic for the extended side windows was a real challenge, as well as research on engine, drive train, and interior, in order to back date the Revell dragster van to a stock configuration.

Hoping to finish this one soon.

Thames woody front.jpg

Thames Woody side.jpg

Edited by SpeedShift

Nice conversion to that old British Ford Thames van. 

Brings back memories of the first car my dad owned when I was still at school. It was a Ford Anglia, and I have thought about remodelling the Revell Anglia funny car into my dad's old puddle jumper as we referred to those old Ford Anglias and Populars back in the day.

7 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Nice conversion to that old British Ford Thames van. 

Brings back memories of the first car my dad owned when I was still at school. It was a Ford Anglia, and I have thought about remodelling the Revell Anglia funny car into my dad's old puddle jumper as we referred to those old Ford Anglias and Populars back in the day.

Thanks, I loved the look of the Anglia, had the Revell Shores & Hess "Skippers Critter" when I was a kid. 

Like to build the version when they put a supercharger on it and ran it as a blown gasser.