Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thames Woody

I went digging, Jim, and found these. The Thames is the one with my tin hunt Bakelite dash inside it ( and the Cosworth) and the Anglia coupe utility, or Ute, was at the same event, just in case you needed a distraction! I reckon you could build one from a van!

Cheers

Alan

IMG_3204.JPG

IMG_5156.JPG

IMG_5155.JPG

IMG_3205.JPG

Primed the seat frames and cushions, made the rear axle radius rods....may need to wait to start airbrushing or spray can some paint.

Approach to doing the wood grain is pending.

The pencil mark on the left ide is apparently where a gas filler cap and gas tank filler pipe need to be drilled.

rear radius rods.JPG

seat placement.JPG

engine grille).JPG

8A329323-952E-4234-AB19-5B325A1DB5BA.jpeg

Edited by SpeedShift

Maybe I can help with a suggestion for the woof?   I found this in the scrap booking section of a local craft shop only last Saturday.  It is self adhesive, ultra thin but more importantly, it has a a very fine grain. Best I can tell it is real wood, comes three A5 sheets to a pack and even with the South Pacific peso ( Aussie Dollar) being valued so low at the moment, it cost be only $5 on clearance.  Cutting it to fit in those small panels could be challenging but seeing what you have achieved so far it shouldn't be  a problem!

Cheers

Alan

20201212_133000.jpg

Alan, I'm doing a search for that wood veneer....I have something similar that I bought years ago called "Ken's Real - Wood"   that is also adhesive backed 3" x 6".....#160 Walnut for $1.98,  back when I bought it.

I've also got the Ushi product.  Uschi van der Rosten: Wood grain decals and fine art scale model accessories. - Uschi van der Rosten Carpet Decals (uschivdr.com)

I pulled several articles on simulating wood grain with paint, (Scale Auto Enthusiast and Fine Scale Modeler).... the advantage of that method is it would relieve me from the hassle of cutting each insert accurately to fit each panel area precisely.

I also need to do the rear wood deck on the interior but since the plastic has a nice raised wood grain I was thinking of painting it to see if it would look good, and make the final decision after that.

From what I have seen in the pictures, this Thames woody had light blonde colored wood on both the frames and panels, so making a much darker interior panel may not be necessary.

uschi wood grain.jpg

Edited by SpeedShift

2 hours ago, rustybill1960 said:

Alan

I am deeply in awe of Your work on this subject, absolutely fascinating!

You have spark an idea for a Thames Panel I have on the shelf.

Thank You for sharing with Us here, I am looking forward to more of this project.

Cheers

Russ

Thanks Russ.....let's see what you do when you get started.

On a "side " note...pun intended.

I was wondering where a spare tire was kept on this vehicle...thought maybe it goes in the back.

Research turned up these pictures from various year models.

Not sure i want to cover up the work on the wood paneling with a spare.

What do you all think?

Ford Thames paneldelivery.jpg

1948 Fordson E04C5cwtVan930cc.jpg

5cwt_la.jpg

Thames Fordson Van.jpg

fordson van.jpg

1950EN~1.JPG

Edited by SpeedShift

Thats pretty wild...never seen something like that. ( Don't  know how you are managing to dig up all these great resource photos ! ) You are right about it covering up potentially nice  looking wood work....but if you are going for a strictly stock look...but then again...was there ever really a stock Thames Woody?  And if so...maybe spares were an option....not standard. Who knows...and maybe there were variations. If some Aussie kids were taking it to the beach...maybe they improvised some things. Which brings to mind....you thought about a roof rack for the boards yet?

28 minutes ago, styromaniac said:

That's pretty wild...never seen something like that. ( Don't  know how you are managing to dig up all these great resource photos ! ) You are right about it covering up potentially nice  looking wood work....but if you are going for a strictly stock look...but then again...was there ever really a stock Thames Woody?  And if so...maybe spares were an option....not standard. Who knows...and maybe there were variations. If some Aussie kids were taking it to the beach...maybe they improvised some things. Which brings to mind....you thought about a roof rack for the boards yet?

Roof rack...thought I'd see what Norm has. 

Maybe a spare can get thrown up there.

Where can I get bongos and a ukelele ?

Found this one in Jerry Frazier's massive parts bins ( you know the guy ). Not sure about the origin...maybe S.E. Ltd ( Scale Equipment diorama supplies ). Bet there are better ones...pretty sure some of those Revell " Goin Fishin"  truck / bass boat combos had coolers...I have one I bought at a swap meet...guy kept the truck but ditched the boat!  

20201216_212611.jpg

40 minutes ago, styromaniac said:

Found this one in Jerry Frazier's massive parts bins ( you know the guy ). Not sure about the origin...maybe S.E. Ltd ( Scale Equipment diorama supplies ). Bet there are better ones...pretty sure some of those Revell " Goin Fishin"  truck / bass boat combos had coolers...I have one I bought at a swap meet...guy kept the truck but ditched the boat!  

20201216_212611.jpg

Pretty sure that is from the Johan 59 Rambler Wagon kit Tom mentioned...inc the decal.

Very nice piece.

Wouldn't be too hard to scratch build...the prices for that kit on eBay are pretty high.

Johan 59 Rambler Wagon.jpg

Edited by SpeedShift

Seat cushions were cut from full bucket seats, ( a Revell sedan street rod kit, IIRC) each seat cut into two pieces to make a seat cushion and a back cushion.

I cut the back cushion in the middle, bent them into a slight curve, then  filled the empty back with epoxy putty...scribed pleats in the back before it cured.

Superglued wire for the upholstery ribbing.

Paint is Tamiya XF-68 NATO flat  brown.

A bit too dark for my liking.

Needs highlighting and weathering.

SEAT FRAMES 1.JPG

PC183115.JPG

Edited by SpeedShift

Made a floor carpet using art tape with Ken's Kustom Fuzzi-Fur.

Made a gear shift from a straight pin.

The Ford banjo steering wheel is a Model Car Garage PE/resin piece.

Dash has a first coat of paint applied, gauges and parking brake and windshield  crank handles next.

INTERIOR CARPET.JPG

Edited by SpeedShift