Model Cars Magazine Forum

How many other kits gave you a "Station Wagon" option ?

That looks horrible. As a kit, I've never seen another one that wasn't a dedicated wagon body.

I remember the Mustang and Firebird concept cars...

Real cars though, I've seen the 80's Firebird (I think they are all custom one-offs)

tawagon.jpg

the Nissan Pulsar:

nissan-pulsar-nx-sportbak_100352784_m.jp

Geo Storm/ Isuzu Impulse:

92328d1382537628-not-just-another-daily-

I think this whole idea only really works with hatchbacks. It'd be a goatload of fab work to make regular sedan into a useable wagon.

No picture , but the AMT 1961 Ranchero was a cross breed option as it had the top which could have been used with the "Upholstered roof/ roof scoop option or cut down to have allowed a sedan delivery . Remember too, Ford did manufacture a 2dr Falcon wagon and if one wanted , could have made the rest of the interior bucket and a wagon .

No picture , but the AMT 1961 Ranchero was a cross breed option as it had the top which could have been used with the "Upholstered roof/ roof scoop option or cut down to have allowed a sedan delivery . Remember too, Ford did manufacture a 2dr Falcon wagon and if one wanted , could have made the rest of the interior bucket and a wagon .

This ? :huh:AMT-K-1031-4.jpg

I have one of those glue bombs on the bench even as we speak.

67VetteSD03.jpg

67VetteSD04.jpg

Not exactly answers to the question asked, but:

1. The AMT '65 El Camino and '69 Chev Fleetside had camper options.

2. The AMT '55 Nomad wagon has an option to convert it to a pickup.

FYI, the roof on the K-Type Firebird/Trans-Am is not a separate piece (more than likely the Camaro version is the same) and being a snap kit most kit details are molded in.

Yeah, the wagon's not really an "option" on those kits.

Some interesting notes on those kammback kits. The chassis on each kit actually match up with the 1:24 '78 Firebird 3-in-1 and the '79 Camaro 3-in-1 kits perfectly. The bumper noses for each one can also be mated up to the body and chassis with some modifying.

SAM_4646.jpg

SAM_4647.jpg

Gut out the fake, junky bay in the Kammback and you can build it with the proper engine! And since the chassis fits correctly...

SAM_4650.jpg

The hoods may have to be messed around with, but I'm sure with a little tweaking you can use the proper hoods from the Revell kits instead of the Kammback ones...

SAM_4651.jpg

SAM_4648.jpg

But, without modding anything, the Kammbacks can still be built decently...

Sportwagon06.jpg

Sportwagon23.jpg

Sportwagon31.jpg

Sportwagon34.jpg

The Airfix/Lindberg Kammback body/Monogram chassis was done as an article years ago, in the "other" magazine. Probably long out of print.

If you throw pickups into this, there's the AMT '65-'66 Imperial convertible, and the MPC '69-'70 Bonneville convertible.

Look closely at that '55 Nomad instruction sheet...it's a first issue. At some point the pickup roof was reworked. The first issue roof was smooth and replaced the entire wagon roof except for the vent frames. Later issues have a roof that splices into the wagon roof midway over the doors.

Look closely at that '55 Nomad instruction sheet...it's a first issue. At some point the pickup roof was reworked. The first issue roof was smooth and replaced the entire wagon roof except for the vent frames. Later issues have a roof that splices into the wagon roof midway over the doors.

I noticed that, and thought that every one I've ever owned was the latter way you describe. B)

I've got a first-issue roof, it's a bit warped but easily fixed. It looks like, if it is used, the windshield area won't look good unless you are really careful.

Another thing about that Nomad kit: none of them I have seen have vent window panes. Just yesterday, I lucked into a huge box of stuff at an automotive swap meet...in there are parts from what I believe to be a first-issue Nomad, judging by the time frame of everything else in there. No pickup roof, but there is a windshield...no vent panes. The parts kit I got the early pickup roof from hasn't got vent panes either.

If I ever get to doing one of those as a pickup, I'd do it the way I think AMT should have done it...I'd cut the roof even with the back of the "B" pillar, then rework the opening to fit a rear glass from something like an early Mercury Comet.