Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revells next release from the Model A Roadster tool - a 30/31 Coupe

I know there are options guys, but I'm just saying why make a new version of something we already have in LOTS of kits.

It might be the same base engine as in the Rat Roaster kit, so shared design might be one reason. Money saved on the engine parts and wheels/tires design goes toward new indiction systems, interior parts, etc.

There's nothing wrong with an all-new SBC, either, especially if it raises the bar when compared to the previous "best available" SBC.

Then write a polite letter to Revell, what engines you would like in what and why it is a great idea.

Companies do listen, but do know that esoteric options are a hard sell, they rather go for something that is sell able to the broadest audience possible within each modeling segment.

I will do exactly that. Thanks.

WooHoo!!!

This is a real dream come true! I have always thought that '30-'31 Ford 5W Coupe looks million times better than any other '20s/'30s Ford... Even much better than the '32. Now it looks like I can finally pick up a big bunch of these. Of course there is the Monogram kit that would work just as well for me as this Revell kit, but it's starting to get hard to find. Based on that picture, there will be lots of spare parts left when the build from this kit is done, too.

The best news in a long time for sure!

I hope they tweak that firewall some. The edges are way square, and it's on the smallish side. I'd still like to see a 30-31 A roadster. The coupe has already been done in 1/24th. But I still see some future purchases here...

Edited by Dave Darby

I like what I am seeing. Hopefully this is the first of many revamps of the "A". The more different parts they keep putting in these kits, the better. Hopefully a couple of new sets of wheels and tires will come out that we can use on other rods. With Modelhaus out of production, I am scrambling for another source for a variety of wheels and tires. The motor looks okay to me. I have some wishes for more esoteric motors too, but the Small Block was pretty much the hot new setup back in the early '60s. (Someday I want to see an early Olds with a real street rod setup and a really good "W" head 348 or 409 with good headers and a 3x2bbl or six carb manifold) The blower looks nice and it has some nice headers. I am tickled to see the '32 grille. but still hope for a hood. I will order a bunch of these when they are released. This one should have something to offer to both the rat rod crowd and the shiny people. Love the headlights too! I can't wait to see the next version.

I would raid a Tamiya Jaguar Mk II Saloon for its 3.8 litre inline 6.

206270.jpg

I recently saw one of these engines on a test stand in a customer's garage. It looked like something out of a concours restoration, complete with exhaust for the E-type it came out of. Even without chrome and polish, it was a work of art.

I have a friend who's building a real '31 5-window...with a small-block Chevy. It is the car he has dreamed of his whole life.

Edited by LDO

I agree with W-409, I have always thought that A-Bones are just "tougher" looking, and make a better looking hot rod than the Deuce.

I wish they were doing the coupe with a stock height roof though.

Actually I agree with you on the roof. It would make it possible to build a Stock version from this as well, but then again chopping a car like this is so easy that it would not result any problems when building a Traditional Hot Rod.

I hope they tweak that firewall some. The edges are way square, and it's on the smallish side. I'd still like to see a 30-31 A roadster. The coupe has already been done in 1/24th. But I still see some future purchases here...

Looking at a full sized version of this in this month's Street Rodder Magazine the firewall looks pretty much just as the full sized version does.

The pictures should give a few guys ideas of a kit bashed version all with Revell models.

In the current issue of Street Rodder Magazine there's a real full size coupe like this that should give a few others besides me some ideas for a great model using parts from other Revell kits, and will help quell some of the complaints about it not having a different engine. It's also a real coincidence that there's an A roadster with a nailhead Buick in it for power, looks like Revell must be talking to some builders of 1:1 cars to get their ideas.

Edited by horsepower

I have been looking forward to a new tool 30/31 Model A five window coupe kit for a long time. I have built several of the old Monogram one but it has its own issues. Mostly that the body line and beltline reveal missed the mark by a mile. Also with it being 1/24th scale it looks fairly big beside most of the 1/25th stuff out there.

As someone else stated above. I also wish it was not chopped. Leaving us the option to chop it a little or a lot or not at all. As far as it having a small block Chevy, meh. I have a stock of parts pack Cadillac engines, 50 olds engines, a couple of the engine out of the beatnik bandit (early caddy IIRC) and some early Hemis that I can use for this kit. Plus I bet that the nailhead from the 29 roadster will drop right in. I am curious as to what interior or interiors that Revell chose to put in it. Hopefully a couple of buckets and an option for a bench with tuck and roll.

Looking at a full sized version of this in this month's Street Rodder Magazine the firewall looks pretty much just as the full sized version does.

The pictures should give a few guys ideas of a kit bashed version all with Revell models.

There it is something funky going on with the cowl and the firewall. I hope that it is just camera lens distortion or photo angle because in the two pictures in the first post, the cowl to firewall fit is way off. If it is not the camera playing tricks then I hope that was an early test shot that has been rectified. The curved part of the firewall should go almost all the way out to the edge of the cowl all the way around. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 hours of metal work into bringing a 30 coupe back to life. I have had the firewall in and out of that car more times than I want to remember. In that close up picture of the test shot the character reveals on the firewall do not look right to my eye either. Whatever the case, it is only plastic and I will fix it if I have to. I also want to see the rear wheel wells and see if they got the character lines in that area correct.

I hope that in the next kit in the series is a 28/29 Tudor sedan. We need a new tool one of those. The ancient AMT 28 sedan kt is very expensive and sometimes hard to find. My dad has a 30 coupe that he and I built and I have a 29 tudor that I am working on. For anyone that might be interested here is a link to the build thread on the coupe on the HAMB. Lots of close up detail pics of the car as we were putting it together.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/model-a-build-thread.348159/