Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Father & Son" Dodge Truck build.. NEW progress pics 9-10-16

A few more "updates" on this build..... Not much, but something, something meaning a bit of "small" details ready to go! I too kit upon myself, to make my own "power steering" on this model just I did on my truck in this build, as the kit, neither of them, came factory or stock with such, and me, being me, I LOVE details, so I just HAD to add it! With that being said, a part that came from the stock pil 'O parts I got, I salvaged the lower power steering, that leads to the drag link.

Granted, as you can see the white is the power steering "housing", that I had to remove the steering shaft from one end, and make it go on the other (NOT added here), with that, I needed to make the drag link, which is that metal "dog bone" detail seem here as well as "pin" it to the steering box, and have some sort of "spacer" as well, which is out of a necklace kit I bought for numerous detailing uses.... Fittings, spacers, you name it.

Same thing different view. To show "depth" of the detail in itself. It will be mounted OUTSIDE the drivers side frame rail! As you'll see. Remember this truck is a bit different from the common "Power Wagon" we all know and love! I got a bit done/added to on the frame as well. I went and am still working on the rear suspension to get it "level" as it was all broken up.... NOW however its being done with heat! As they're solidly, mounted in place on the frame for the rear axle! BUT, I got to thinking AFTER mounting the rear leaf springs, what about the transfer case!? Hows that going to "sit" on a "low" 4x4 truck? As the actual model itself, seems to have been "lifted" and I brought it back down to "family 4x4 truck" standards.... I did NOT want the transfer case to sit so low that it was barely off the ground, BUT to sit in such a way, it wasn't to far up in the frame to cause alignment problems to the cab with the interior tub. SO, I got to looking a bit and needed to make some more modifications, to the frame.

The dark gray part is the transfer case mount. The whole square inside the frame rails, and the webbing" between the cross members had to be removed. As I needed the thickness of the frame to get the new transfer case mount in it! And "high" enough to look right. I even went as far to relocate the transfer case "cross member" mount, to the HIGHEST location of the locating blocks on the insides of the frame rails. To look as an "angle" mount from the cross member part of it, (if any of this makes sense)

Then while messing, I went to "sturdy" up the rear leaf springs. These things were/are brittle as they're old, and I MEAN OLD, and were from a Glue bomb I mentioned I got for mere parts.

A LOT of little things, to allow me to move on to the bigger things.....
MORE to come just after these brief messages!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

Now, a LOT of really little work all on one sub-assembly of the truck. The front axle! Brake lines, hard line and hose and fittings, you name it. I made my own front disk brakes with added calipers from another glue bomb I had.... All to be put together on this truck to make it look the part. Just like my Power Wagon, earlier in the build, I had to make A LOT of the axle parts myself, as I do not think nor believe details as such are even made for us in this hobby BUT, I'm not complaining, I'm saying it as I enjoy seeing just hot far I can push myself, to make different details like this!

Passenger side tire, rotor, brake, all the lines and ALL the fittings for that side, as well as brake line "hard line" to mount made and placed on rear differential casing.... The "hard" brake line in silver, has a mid-line "T" fitting to have the line front the master cylinder come down to it from a hard line ALSO to have a fitting to have a hose to meet this "T" fitting...... A LOT of "line-work", hard piped, and fittings to hose and such..... the "hose" you'll see from me, won't be "braided" its all as factory in this builds, as "rubber", right to the brass fittings that I make myself!

Just the other side....

Same side bit better view maybe..... You can see my rubber brake line hose from the hard pipe on the rear, to the caliper on the rotor!
In these views, you may be able to also see, the "mount brackets on either side from the ends of the hard pipe to the hose that goes to the calipers..... The hose is needed for the knuckle movement of the steering axle.

A bit better side-to-side of the axle, showing a good view of the mid-line "T" that will connect to a hose that goes to the master cylinder.

Over all view..... Not to bad for a couple hours work! Front axle is ready to be installed on the truck frame! BUT I have to get the rear one in the same shape first as then after that comes the shocks to the suspension, for the front. (Those shocks I didn't use on my truck), may come into use on this truck remember this one is stock height, my truck wasn't stock height! -We'll see! I'm pleased so far! More to come as I've made progress!
ENJOY!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

Thanks Dan! I tell ya, I can not stress it enough I'm so wound up in adding detail it consumes me at times (NOT that I'm complaining), but I ENJOY it.... Adding it, making it, you name it, Anything that has "Super Detail" involved, I'm usually all over it...

As for the front axle here, you see the brake line needs tweaking, it will get fine adjustments when on the frame! Left alone till then! Things like that.... As I have to add a hose to the "T" fitting, from the master cylinder.....

And then you got a bit of "restore" as well as I'm using parts from an old Glue Bomb, to make this all happen..... SO, that too is fun in itself!

Thanks man! -I'm having a blast!

Stray, I get seriously "caught up" in detail work as IF I know or think "I can do that" it WILL be done..... Just how I am! BUT that too, I LOVE the detailing aspect of seeing just how far I can go, WITHOUT spending a lot in cash to make it happen (I enjoy making the smallest of details, myself, NOT buy them!) I'ma cheap skate that way.... BUT I have the means to make them too.... I love using those tools as I bought them so.....

Just how I am I guess!

Dale,

Don't you know it man! You probably know the scratchbuilding aspect from me better then anyone here...... I've known you a bit longer and we've gone back an forth elsewhere so.....

You KNOW I'll keep it up! I LOVE doing it, but you knew that! B)

So as I promised, MORE progress has been made..... To start out, as you all VERY WELL KNOW by now, I have a few of these trucks! (3).... BUT because of the difference from one to the other, I had to find ways to make things "happen"..... This is where it gets FUN! 
I went and looked through the parts I had for the "stock" frame to the short step-side bed truck (I wasn't going to be using this frame on my "Dads" truck, I did however use the stock frame on my truck!) BUT that was due to Dads having a long 8 foot "straight" bed (Sweptline is what Dodge called them). But anyway, the frame on Dads truck I choose the resin version I had, as I need the styrene version for HEAVY  frame modifications on the frame rails to handle a utility bed. Meaning, the factory frame that came with my Dads truck model was of the short step-side bed, and wasn't going to be used on this particular truck! WHICH, is what I'm getting too here. 
That short frame, I needed the inner fender wells from it, to fit onto the resin frame (was resin cast without them) SO, I get out my handy razor saw, only to find that particular blade too wide to make the cuts needed to remove just the inner fender wells, without "hurting" the frame all too bad (I want to save it for a rainy day!) SO, off to look for a more suitable way to remove them, and went looking through my handy blade selection I have for thee ole Exacto knives I got.... Found a "keyhole" type blade, thin and pointy at one end with some serious teeth on it. Will do the trick! I get out my pin vice, drill a hole just big enough to whittle the keyhole blade, in through it to begin "sawing".....
Here is the frame, BEFORE I began all this:

Clean, nicely cast, it ought to donate well to the cause.....and it did!

Left the frame a little bit of a mess (I'll have to clean it up), BUT it donated the inner fender wells I need for Dad's truck......

BOTH inner fender wells, came off nicely, and I got one cleaned up right away to see what all might be involved, I'm glad I choose to do this the way I did, I kept the donor frame for something later, and gained the needed inner fender wells for under the hood of my Dads truck in this build!
More to come right after these short messages! ENJOY!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

-So, while I was thinking on how I was gonna go about the added inner fender wells, I got to thinkin', I probably ought to get that steering box on the outside of the drivers side frame rail, as once the inner fender well is in place, getting to that or making the inner fender well fit, this be thee BEST time to get that in place!

A picture to show a bit of "depth" of the actual added detail:

Then in these pictures I went ahead and did some fine "clean-up" of the edges around the wheel openings in the floor pan to take the inner fender wells without a problem....

The seen pencil line on the frame rail "side" is the location of the CENTER of the axle placement on the suspension, to center the wheel in the opening, and center of the fender itself on the body, and be even on both the front and the back, spacing. This WILL disappear when the frame and underside is painted, BUT will guide me, when I go to tape off the location as to where the axle will glue to the leaf spring, and allow me to glue it in place when the time comes. ALL the mounting locations will be taped off before the frame is painted!

EVERYTHING is looking good about now! SO, stay tuned! More to follow!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

Then once I sat the frame aside, I began trying to "fit" the passenger side inner fender well in place on the frame. Only to find that the stock resin cast opening, was to large to add it as I removed the plastic one from its frame. I wasn't going to cut the floor pan of the plastic one, in order to fit it here, (be difficult to mud it in to look the part, SO, I went and added shim plastic to the inner fender wells, and a small section of angle plastic, to "glue" to the adjoining floor pan! They look a bit rough, had filed the first one (passenger side) right after its removal and before the drivers side was removed....

One filed up nicely and one was removed, and then this picture was taken!

Contoured GREAT, and corners "notched" to fit around the frame rails!

Un-cleaned edges on the angle plastic mount..... BUT it is notched here too!
Then came the FUN..... The drivers side! REMEMBER I added that steering box? WELL because of my "detail adding ways" I had a fun time contouring this one, as with my truck in this build, I added power steering lines from the pump on the engine, to the steering box, mounted to the frame! And whats stopping me from doing that same thing to this model? Absolutely NOTHING! SO, having said that, I had to contour the inner fender well on the drivers side, to accommodate both the power steering box, on the frame, AND the power steering lines from the engine, as well as the steering shaft from the steering wheel!!! I added that also to my truck!

It got that treatment as well as the added shims, and angle mounts on both ends!

I have to say "contouring" wasn't too bad to get the inner fender well to sit in the same contour as the frame, the contour trouble area was where that steering box was, BUT, I managed to get it to fit and look good all at the same time. MOST of this detail for mounting purposes, will disappear when the truck goes together as the rear will be covered by the firewall, as well as the front with the radiator core support, and all the detail on it, BUT, is needed "extras" to mount solidly to the frame!

Front of the driver side fender well...... Cleanly done, and ready to be put in place!
More to follow!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

Wow man. The steering box sits in the wheel well? That's odd. But I have never been close to a dodge pickup so what would I know!

Nice mix'n'match work man.

Yep it is odd, the family trucks were to some extent.....The Adventurer as Dads was, this ISN'T a pic of his, but is a pic of one, I had....

1979_Dodge_Adventurer_Steering_Box_000_d

The "Power Wagons" were made a LOT differently, and more (WAY MORE) heavy duty, for 4x4 trucks, the family trucks as the Adventurer was, was lighter duty built.

EDIT:

This steering box, is what I reproduced, from this very picture from a search online and a garage site I'm a member of! Used with permission from the owner of the truck, and his picture taking work on it!

Edited by 426-Hemi

OK now that BOTH inner fender wells were removed from the donor frame, and cleaned, and then sat up for installing, I got right to it.....

Looking at it from the passenger side of the truck, you can see the opening in the fender well to allow me to add a steering shaft from the steering wheel, as well as all the pipe work from the power steering pump on the motor.

Looking from the drivers side.....Granted, BOTH these pictures show the "open" corners.... I have to go back and "fill" those in. ONLY the opening for the steering will be open when all said and done!
Coming up next, is something NEVER done.... These 2 trucks had never seen each other unless in passing, I took the 2 models to see if the height from one to the other was good for both trucks "stance"!!!!!
Stay tuned!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

As I mentioned in my last post, I HAD to see what the stance was between the 2 trucks.....

My Power Wagon on the left, Dad's Adventurer on the right!

Under a bit more light......

I say, the stance is PERFECT, my truck was built to sit high, as it was, the real ones were about as you see these 2 models, Dads truck on the right, needs a bit of work to get it where my Power Wagon is, BUT I think this is GREAT!!!!! Mine was was built purposely to sit high (I wanted to go muddin' in it) Dad's was a "family 4x4 truck" and sit at a high "stock" height as he added slightly bigger tires and rims to his..... 
I'm VERY pleased with this work so far, on BOTH trucks! Got a ways to go on my Dad's, BUT it will happen.... I got to sit and detail up the rear axle for his and then figure out its suspension as well as shocks for both..... Ought to be a fun task! SEEING these last few pictures of both trucks front-to-front like that...... WOW!
As always, more to follow as things are done!
ENJOY!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

Thanks Stray! This build of these 2 trucks has been a BUNCHA fun! I'm enjoying every pain saken part of it...... AND the outcome as it looks at this point, is simply put, unbelievable as I did not think nor imagine either to look as they now do! -A LOT of effort in these 2....... Just because of what both mean, you know?

Really coming along Great , John..

All the Fine Detail work is really showing up..Your Doing one Fantastic Job Sir..The two trucks should be UNREAL when both are done. Keep up the Great work .. will be following along ...

Tom

Thanks Tom! A LOT going into these 2..... (almost could say MORE then what I put into my 300!) :blink: BUT I'm not only building a truck, but restoring another all at the same time.....

I appreciate the compliments, Thank You!

You're really throwin' a lot at these two models John!! I look forward to more updates.

Thanks Joe! And yes, I am throwin' a lot at them both..... These 2 are being built as replica's, (or well as VERY close as I myself can get them to be "replica's"......)

I'm getting ready to paint the frame to my "Dads" truck right now, a little bit of tape here and there as

I have to stop procrastinating the rear axle and just "do it" and move on..... -Might say a bit of looking back and pondering, you know? I have to say, I NEVER thought these 2 trucks would be turning out as they are.... With a bit of work no doubt, BUT looking back on the build, well It shows me just how worth the effort and work has been!

I look at it this way, these 2 trucks being late '70's bodies, I might only get to do one more, so I may as well make it worth my while as I'm doing it and not have any regrets later, you know? May never get a chance to do it again! (these aren't getting any cheaper in price!)

Those are great. I admit to NOT being a Mopar kind of guy, but I have a deep respect for the product. I have an AMT LRT and a resin smoothside bed. I may do it up as a Power Wagon, but with no graphics, as I like a clean truck. As a teenager, I did build an early '70's Dodge Longbed PU, and I really liked it.

Those are great. I admit to NOT being a Mopar kind of guy, but I have a deep respect for the product. I have an AMT LRT and a resin smoothside bed. I may do it up as a Power Wagon, but with no graphics, as I like a clean truck. As a teenager, I did build an early '70's Dodge Longbed PU, and I really liked it.

Thanks Ron! All I can say is if you got the LRE and a sweptline bed, GO FOR IT. this is your inspiration off the 2 I'm building!

I got to ask, you mentioned that you like clean lines what color was the truck you once had? My PW, that you see the model of here is slightly off, I had 34 inch tires on it, and the model measure out to 36 inch tires, BUT the tread and the look are right which is more what I was trying to get! -BUT I have to say, my PW would go anywhere...... (I can't vouch for my Dad's Adventurer) But mine was a dang tank......

Go into the "1:1 area" and look at what I have now...... B)

And thanks to one of our own members here, I got a model to build that one too! :D Which is gonna be a bit slower build then this one as I'm in a race of time to finish these 2 in time for Fathers day!

very nice!

Thank you!

Edited by 426-Hemi

Really great work on both of these. I owned a 80 Dodge 6cyl and a 77 Adventurer a few years later that i still regret selling. i getting the urge to break out my long and short wheel base kit out of the closet. The bed is resin ....

Carl,

A Dodge Ram? Or a "Power Ram" from '80? Both existed just one was the Adventurer "renamed" and the other was a Power Wagon, renamed..... Either could have been bought with a 6 cyl in it. A slant-6, probably the 225.... As there were 3 different engine sizes for the Slant 6.

You got a couple too huh????? WELL......... I hope this gives ya the urge to break 'em out and begin putting at least one together!

I got to admit, I got these 2, seen here, and one other one thats a "family" sort of build, a work truck my Dad used the few years he worked for the railroad, when I was really young..... I recall the truck but thats about it and sadly there is no pictures that I know of or ANY family knows of so, I'm going from railroad protocol on it.....

BUT I got 3 of these, and I have to admit, I'd LOVE to have one more, MAYBE 2, I don't care step-side bed would be GREAT, I'd settle for a 4th complete LRE and a partial kit with or without a bed (I have an extra long bed) just to build as I see fit as a pro streeted LRE with a Hemi..... -Just finding it for a price or trade I can afford is what kills me (I'm lucky I got the 3 I have at this point!) PLUS I got a model of my current truck! a '65 Dodge D-200 "Power Wagon" thats gonna be made like my real truck I own a '67 Power Wagon D-200 crew cab.....

SO, with that said, I got a "few" trucks lined up, plus I want to get back to my monster Dodge A100 build too!

But by all means, get 'em out, and lets fill up this section with Dodge trucks!

Edited by 426-Hemi