Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Father & Son" Dodge Truck build.. NEW progress pics 9-10-16

Thanks David, sadly, however, I've gotten injured (both my hands) so right now, this message is being typed slowly with just my thumbs on my wifes laptop.....

Unfortunately, i lost 2 fingers in the accident..... So modeling, is all hold till, i'm healed enough.....right now, i'm lucky I can type!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Gator

well, as a few know, i've been in a firework accident, and have been healing, so, i thought i'd post a pick or so taken the day after my last doctors appointment.....

Hemi_003_detail.jpg

Me while in the hospital, looking like a deer caught in the headlights.......:blink:

Hemi_006_detail.jpg

This one taken the day after my last doctors appointment, and one coming up this Thursday......

I omitted the gory ones, I got a split chin from it, 9 stitches in there, (the black mark on my chin) is burnt edges, with some healing the stitches there have been removed. then in the pictures the burns on my chest...... and as well bandaged up hands......

outlook tho, is good. i am kinda sorta right handed, (was ambidextrous at one time but now favor my right) also due to a long time ago work-related accident. But, I was told that in the end, I should regain almost all control and movement except for my left-hand pointer finger tio, as its been amputated to the first knuckle, the vey end of that finger.

i have been shooting fireworks for awhile for the pro's like if you someone found out you had any of this stuff it's a minimum of 1 year in prison and a $10,000 fine and i have seen some accidents but never seen anything like that what firework did that

• 5 weeks later...

i have been shooting fireworks for awhile for the pro's like if you someone found out you had any of this stuff it's a minimum of 1 year in prison and a $10,000 fine and i have seen some accidents but never seen anything like that what firework did that

Sadly I AM a "Pro"............... Been a New Hampshire Pyrotechnic of 8 years.....  I had an in ground tube charge detonate, within 15 seconds of lighting the DARK GREEN fuse as tho it was PINK flash fuse.... Myself, was working with the states FIRE MARSHAL, NEITHER him, or I knew that it was going to happen, AFTER a full investigation, they found from the mile roll of fuse, had 180 feet of the dark green fuse faulty, from factory.... Bought direct from over-seas.. Sadly, I have no recourse for it because of that. Needless to say, I was lucky, as this "display" left me missing a finger-tip, and some lost time. BECAUSE, you mentioned, you work with fireworks, BE EXTRA CAREFUL..... You really NEVER know!

The "fire" tubes, were to be buried in the ground, 4 feet, And protocol requires a minimum of 20 minutes reload time (post-hole dug the holes to 5 feet) and we WAIT a minimum of 35 minutes to reload..... We had 32 holes dug, 16 in one area, and 100 feet away 16 more. I lit a "test" shot, which is the one that got me.... Protocol ALSO, requires for the type charge set, YELLOW fuse, 4.5 seconds PER inch, we buy, and have used GREEN fuse that burned 7.5 seconds per inch, with a "lead" of green fuse 6 FEET long, I should have had 9 MINUTES to walk a safe distance! It burned once ignited, as tho it was PINK "flash fuse", to the actual charge flash fuse "tail"..... It happened so fast, as it went as I turned to walk away!!!!! -AND the test charge was down to the bottom of the 5 foot deep tube!

Because of me, respecting my hands, (I work with them A LOT) I stepped down, as I respect what my hands are capable of doing outside of setting up, and lighting fireworks..... 

8 years....... 7 of them, NEVER an issue! One faulty 5000 foot roll of fuse, and thats all it takes to turn in my states Pyrotechnic, license! -Lesson, learned!

Edited by 426-Hemi
to many typos!

see where i am it's a little bit different we can hand light but it is frowned on and no color coding what so ever we mainly use e-matches but ive still seen people do some things that were just dumb, but by state law ive been doing this since i was 18 and iam 22 now but we all know that i started before that but that is hush hush lol ive help my grandpa do shows for as long as i can remember but when i was younger once the shells came out i had to leave he has been in it for 45+ years and has yet to get seriously hurt knock on wood but as ill tell everyone i know i learned from the best.

so in short take care watch those fuses and stay safe out there

Ohh I know "hand lighting" is frowned upon......BUT the "show" was to be "Old School" display, for a local town, with a rather large lake for whats called a Old Home Day Firework Display...... I've done it 7 years, NO accidents, not even a scratch......Made up for it I suppose this year....I myself, been working fireworks for a long time..... Since I was 18..... Before all the Pyrotech, requirements went into place.....

Had enough for this one time...... So, 3 weeks ago, to a month, I turned in my License for it..... Now there is only 9 legally state-wide allowed to do what I have the past 8. I had no limits within my home state, and the one I reside in. (I was born in another state), lived there till I was 24.

Tough break there, I hope for a good speedy recovery. It's all to easy when things are going great for yourself to remember things like this happen all the time. Sometimes we can take ALL the RIGHT steps in the world and things such as a faulty fuse will show us things happen. I don't know your preference in the matter but I personally feel that God has a way of showing us that we can only do so much. I do pray you have a great recovery. I have seen it forest hand where doing things right may not always be good enough. My best friend in the army lost his finger tip hooking up a trailer to his 5 ton. He did things right but the landing gear fail at just the wrong time and crushed his hand, the fingertip could not be saved. 

Good luck and from me god bless. (Sorry to presume you are alright with my god talk here I do understand not everyone believes and I do not know your beliefs. I feel for you.)

John, forget the fact that the fuse was sourced from overseas, I'm assuming China.  You do have recourse and deserve to be compensated for your loss.  Get a good attorney and have him trace the chain of custody of the product.  It starts with the company you were working for, then backwards to who ever paid for the shipping to here.  Someone in that chain will have assets enough to sue or have commercial liability insurance to pay your claim.   Good luck and feel better!

• 2 weeks later...

Tough break there, I hope for a good speedy recovery. It's all to easy when things are going great for yourself to remember things like this happen all the time. Sometimes we can take ALL the RIGHT steps in the world and things such as a faulty fuse will show us things happen. I don't know your preference in the matter but I personally feel that God has a way of showing us that we can only do so much. I do pray you have a great recovery. I have seen it forest hand where doing things right may not always be good enough. My best friend in the army lost his finger tip hooking up a trailer to his 5 ton. He did things right but the landing gear fail at just the wrong time and crushed his hand, the fingertip could not be saved. 

Good luck and from me god bless. (Sorry to presume you are alright with my god talk here I do understand not everyone believes and I do not know your beliefs. I feel for you.)

Jacob,

nahhhh its all ok, I appreciate the prayers..... BUT your right, no matter how careful one is, there is always a chance..... Specially when its a dangerous type task.....

Joe, you bet man..... I'm about at wits end setting and to able to build, or well build to the specs I was BEFORE this happened..... BUT it will come, in time, I'm over the first hurdle...... 2 to go!

Tom,

Well, the investigation on the fuse proved faulty, BUT because there is no USA "Chain" it goes back over-seas. Problem with that is our laws vary so much....That when purchased, MY signature upon delivery signed off the responsibility to me, ALL of them even in time of disaster, basically a waiver.... It was looked into 3 days after the fact. The whole investigation was handled by the local fire marshal department, my co-worker was relieved of duty as it was to close to home by law, his department handled it, including lawful responsibility. I have to be honest here, I'm just glad to be alive, what I withstood in the blast, well, had I been slightly turned from the position I was hit in by 4-5 inches, I wouldn't be here at all..... I went through the blast of 1 1/2 to 2 sticks of TNT.

BECAUSE I was a "hire" the town is covering all my medical for it as well as meds (I was on some heavy pain meds in the beginning) ALL Dr. visits, everything pertaining to the injury, as well as all surgeries, bandages, even as much as Tylenol over the counter. -I am also getting weekly compensation as well, which isn't to bad. Needless to say, I'm 1/3rd through it, the hardest part I think is behind me now......

John I feel for you man, I know what you went, and are still going, through was tough. Two years ago I tried to do a manicure on my left hand, with a table saw! Needless to say that did not end well, limited use in three fingers and the middle finger does not bend, permanent bird. Keep up the positive attitude and don't let it limit you. Also if they recommend p.t. take it, it helps.

Tom & Carl, Thanks guys, and yes attitude is half the battle. Still limited, modeling-wise, BUT I'm "working" at the bench..... Just can't sit around any longer.

Skipp,

That "silver" sadly is a custom mix of my own. I make it to be as close as I can to be bare cast-iron colored. Its basically Testors "Steel" #1180 OR Testors Model Masters #1780. Then mixed in Testors Gloss Black #1147 or Testors Model Masters #17038 Till you get the shade the shade I did. NOW I'm learning theres a actual shade by Testors under their "Metalizer" line. (I got a good supply of it an learning the shades of it for Auto use, as the Titanium #1404 is REALLY close the same color/shade, BUT it can be polished and needs "sealed" after polishing is done. I have noticed the sealer gives it a shine, which I'd have to dullcote over the sealer as bare cast-iron isn't real shiny.

Thanks tho! I'll be back to these once I have a working/usable left-hand......

John,

Glad to hear you are on the mend and back at the hobby bench. But don't rush getting to active. I know it can be hard to deal with. Back in 2000 I was out with a back injury for 5 months. The only thing that kept me going was this hobby.

So hang in there.

Be Well

Gator

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Gator! Yeah its time I get something going. Not on this build, tho, If I'm gonna "ruin" something I'd much rather it be something other then my Father & Son builkd so these 2 are on hold till I feel I'm able to do the fine work I was doing to start with on them (I'm still unable to run my air brush) BUT, I can run a spray can and brush paint so. as well as glue..... BUT these 2 trucks are kind of special to me in the way one was built after a truck I owned like the model, and the other was built after a truck my Dad owned both at the same time/era. SO its kinda tied in with the healing of the loss of my Dad last year......

SO, with that said, I have some catching up to do! Be sure to see/watch whats coming from me in the "car" area....... As I took a '68 Plymouth Roadrunner, built it, and got it ready for body paint, when I'm able, that helped me heal, and get A LOT of my hands (both of them) dexterity back.... It WAS seriously lacking for a bit!