Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Father & Son" Dodge Truck build.. NEW progress pics 9-10-16

Thanks Joe!

I got a ways to go on the second engine, for the second truck! I got the stock "as-built" mechanical fuel pump on it (the model didn't have one!) So, I made one and got it in place.... The fun part is doing the duel line from it, to the carburetor, and a filter in between, the Carburetor, and the mechanical fuel pump..... Nothing really, but I have to get to sit down and just "do it" you know? THEN I'll be able to move on to getting the Manifolds, oil filter, and some other small details..... I'm goingto getthe engine to the point that I can use it, to begin getting the frame ready. that ought to be a FUN one! B)

Thanks Dan! The interesting part of boththese2 trucks is that they were in my family, one, and 2, slightly different from one to the other! -Which is what I'm finding that makes the models that much more fun to build! So, I'm enjoying it all!

-Bit of an update.....

Talked with the uncle on the phone, and come to find the truck my Dad had, was powered by the Mopar 360 V-8! And upon talking to him, and knowing my Dad, he LOVED "chrome" so..... I sort of thought he had changed the valve covers and maybe even the air cleaner (I sort of recall seeing a chrome air cleaner on the truck) so, he confirmed that, yes, my Dad, had changed the valve covers to chrome, (they were actually to a 318, BUT were "bolt-ons" anyway so. he added those and had a chrome air cleaner, which like I said, I sort of knew but wanted to make sure I was "right" due to the many vehicles my Dad owned over the years and wanted to make sure I wasn't just "assuming" he did this or that.

SO with that, I'm off an running now..... I got the fuel line made with a fuel filter to go from the mechanical pump to the carburetor, and I'm working on the distributor as well.....

Something else I found out with my Dad that I didn't know (I learned something by talking with my uncle for over an hour on the phone). My Dad could NOT stand oddly colored plug wires on his engines! (WEIRD I guess you could say) IF the engine was Blue, it got BLUE plug wires! IF it were red it get RED plug wires..... SO, with talkin' with my uncle, he told me the only other color my Dad could or would have put on the engine other then the engine color insulation was black! I learned something, I had not known, he was very persistent about it too... SO, with that I'll have to see what I have for plug wire color. I know I got blue wire, I would LOVE to add black if I have it but we'll see! My uncle said it had to do with the "looks".... Which knowing my Dad, that be the truth! Just how he was.....

So with this truck, I'll be following along the lines of how my Dad had the real one from family sources to keep it as true to how he had it as very possible!

-I can say, this one is gonna try my patients tho, certain things I do on models, won't be done the way I'd done it, or have done it otherwise..... I guess my Dad had also have the drive train, axles and suspension, coated with some sort of gloss black protective coating over time..... THAT bit of knowledge is gonna be a trial for me to do LOL (Guess I DO take after him a bit more then I ever thought I did!)

Pictures to come when I'm at a good point of showing the details!

They will be following VERY shortly...... I had to get some info from my uncle to continue on the engine and while I was doing that, I took a beat up straight bed late '70's Dodge Adventurer truck, and got some parts from that, to go onto the frame I have as these 2 frames are identical.... For the long bed. BUT, one of them is cast resin! :rolleyes: WELL, a bit of a build story to follow this:

I ALSO have planned a Railroad "High-Rail" Signal maintainers truck, ALSO a late '70's Dodge! I'd guess it be a '78, as I don't recall seeing that truck with a '77 or early grille, BUT it ALSO did not have the '79 grille either..... So, that leaves it to be a '78, and with the railroad truck itself and how it was painted, 1978 makes sense! -With that said, OK? This "Fathers truck" I'm building now....... Has a standard straight "long" bed, which will fit either of the 2 frames I got, with out ANY modification to the frame. The Railroad truck, however, has a 10 foot Utility bed on it...... Thats a "duallie" "High-Rail" truck (the truck will/would have been able to ride the rails in other words.) SO, this means that the railroad truck, will need SERIOUS "frame modifications" to take that length and type of bed.... The easiest way to achieve this iswith a STYRENE truck frame! To make gluing easier, and bond stronger..... THAT being said, the "resin" frame I have is the one going under the "father" truck in this current build as it needs no real frame mods, to fit that truck other then the suspension!

Make sense?

OK, that being said, I had to take the "spare" suspension I have, to the long bed truck frame, and make it useable, which is what I'm doing right now! Not in bad, bad shape, but needs some TLC to make it almost as a "new" frame and parts..... All in the while, keeping it "stock" for my Dad's personal "truck" in the set of 2.....

Pictures hopefully later today!

OK for all thats following along, here are those pictures I promised!
Now as you read with my typed "update", I was removing parts from a glue bomb, frame, to have the needed 4x4 suspension for this truck. WELL that frame so far so good, has supplied me with both front leaf springs, and axle, as well as partial "steering" parts (I'll be doing some custom work), on the steering detail as I did on the frame thats going under my truck in this build.....
ANYWAY, the donor frame for the model was/is gonna be used else where on another build due to it being "styrene" my Dads truck however being bone stock, can use the more difficult frame to work with thats resin for strength sake..... (the styrene frame will have MAJOR modifications to it), for the truck its going to be used in (my Railroad truck) that you'll see again in the future!
So, without further ado, heres that glue bomb frame I was salvaging parts from:

Firstly, if it had been "painted" it would have made severing the parts a bit harder to do, BUT this junk frame looked as tho the whole truck was assembled with no paint! (In my favor!) BUT, wasn't a complete truck when I got it, all I got is what your about to see!
The front suspension isn't in to bad of shape! I can work with it. I did however remove the tie rod, going from side to side, the crank journals to make the wheels "steer" were left in place, I think I can work with them, we'll see. I also noticed A LOT of glue seams needing "filed" smooth, that will be seen in just a few pictures! BUT upon severing this front suspension, one of the leaf springs broke, (I knew it would I noticed the crack looking at the frame at one point so...) I was ready for it, and armed with Tenax 7R!
So, then this is what the parts looked like being removed:

Can't even tell where the leaf spring WAS broken! Anyone see it?
This same frame ALSO donated to me the rear suspension, it however was in much worse shape! REMEMBER this "donor" frame will be extremely hacked up in the end, BUT its going to be used in another extreme build when this Father & Son set are done! The styrene will make the glue joints easier to do, and much stronger, Dads truck however is bone stock, I won't need to do any "lengthening" to it to keep the frame straight or strong so..... The hardest part on this one will be adding the inner fender wells! THOSE will come from a "Little Red Express" truck NEW frame, that would have gone under the truck originally! With a short step-side bed!

The back suspension, BOTH leaf springs were broken in 2 places, and the rear wasn't EVER glued really well.  AND upon removing the drivers side leaf it came loose from the rear. (NOTHING was glued real well on whom ever assemble this truck when it was now.....
Coming up next, is the "NEW" resin frame! Stay tuned! More to follow these short messages!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

OK, so now you all have seen the "Donor" frame, and the fun I had with it.......... NOW comes that resin frame all that removed, and rebuilt suspension will be going on!

EXACTLY the same frame, BUT its missing a few vital parts, It needs a gas tank, and both inner fender wells. Other then that it looks just like the frame thats in the Little Red Express, only longer! And missing details, this particular frame however, like I have mentioned, is resin! SO, who ever "cast" it, didn't do to bad, but, I need to add inner fenders (I think they removed them, to make molding easier!) BUT, the fuel tank the master copy NEVER had it.... SO, as if I remember correctly that was an added part in the kit (you had to glue it in yourself!)

A few resin mold "bubbles"? -YEP, thats one way to tell resin from a glance!

The "engine bay" in the frame, needed "opening" was a fine thin sheen of resin here, like an onion skin, this was made with a 2 part mold! Thats where the 2 separate parts, separated! (say that 3 times fast!) As you can see, I also had to open the little section behind that transmission cross member as well. Along with I had added a "pad" to mount the trans mission too, as the original truck had a half breed 360 - 440 in it, and the transmission was a bit.................bigger in diameter so, I needed something to bring the tail shaft up on the transmission, and I had to get the front mounted as the stock engine mount (just like my other frame in this build, would not work "as-is" so.....

I have to make 2 completely different engine mounts per truck due to one being/having a Big Block in it "Mopar 440" and then the current one having a small block in it, "Mopar 360" SO, yep its the same way in real life too the mall block engine mounts are a bit longer and a bit more, pushed up, to meet the block, where the big blocks were pushed down to meet the block in about the same manner, just higher on on and lower on the other due to "deck height", the mounts weren't on the same "plane" from the big block to the small block and they compensated this by length and placement of the mounts on the truck frame!

Over-all look of the frame upside-down!
Notice closest to you lowest part of the picture, that frame rail, NO gas tank attached to it!? The truck this was molded from, I am not sure if it came with a glue on detail part, or simply did not have a fuel tank on the frame rails, (IT certainly could have been behind the seat! BUT I'm not 100% certain on that so.... I KNOW where the step-side tanks were however (I've owned several), and got one even today.....

Just the other side! This picture is the one that would show how the tank would be again the furthermost away frame rail!
A few more to follow, STAY TUNED!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

SO..... I got the suspension on the way, I got the frame almost ready for it, and then it comes down to "stance" this was and has got to be a STOCK height truck, thats how my Dad had his THAT I do remember, Problem being, is will it work? I kept as much as I could "stock", BUT could I pull it off with the tires and rims I had? NO, I got a bit more help from yet again Vince! (Thanks man, you have not idea how much hide you been saving!) LOL
He sent me these:

These are the best ones for the size I recall and my uncle speaking about over the phone the other night. The "singled out one" is ratty, and will be used NASTY side hidden as a spare tire! -Just to get rid of the thing! Its the only one I have and its plenty good on one side for a spare!
Then, I haven't mentioned rims..... 

These rims, well IF my memory serves me right, they seen 3 or maybe even 4 Dodge trucks my Dad owned! WHY he loved them, I could not tell ya, BUT I know he did..... I know at least once he had them sand blasted, and powder coated! Never to need much upkeep after that, they STILL exist today, on the '84 Dodge Power Ram my cousin got that was also one of my Dads trucks! (thats how he got the rims!) My Step-Mother sold the truck to him AFTER Dad passed this past spring. As 8 vehicles is about 5 to many for her! LOL I just wished I was closer, I probably have that truck too I lived closer! BUT they were white, gloss white on a gloss black truck. They had I believe a red and blue stripe in them originally till Dad had them powder coated then those were gone, but.... they still looked pretty good!
THEN, last but not least.....

A picture of the cab, and the straight bed..... This is what Dad's looked like..... Imagine it black, 4x4, stock height, white spoke wheels, stock tires, and if I can find something once in awhile a bed cover NOT a "tarp" but like a top over the bed, with whatever you can imagine in the thing he was ALWAYS hauling stuff for himself or others so..... At times seems as tho he stored things for short periods of time too.... In the summer however the bed got cleaned out, and the top was removed, and used to haul but not to "store" for any length of time. -Thats a part, I'm not sure ANYONE makes (at least I haven't seen any)
Thanks for looking and following for those out there following this thread! More to come when I'm able!
ENJOY!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

THEN, last but not least.....

1979_Dodge_Adventurer_150_021_detail.jpg

A picture of the cab, and the straight bed..... This is what Dad's looked like..... Imagine it black, 4x4, stock height, white spoke wheels, stock tires, and if I can find something once in awhile a bed cover NOT a "tarp" but like a top over the bed, with whatever you can imagine in the thing he was ALWAYS hauling stuff for himself or others so..... At times seems as tho he stored things for short periods of time too.... In the summer however the bed got cleaned out, and the top was removed, and used to haul but not to "store" for any length of time. -Thats a part, I'm not sure ANYONE makes (at least I haven't seen any)

Thanks for looking and following for those out there following this thread! More to come when I'm able!

ENJOY! (-Not to too much now Joe!) B):lol:

Like this John?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Resin-pickup-cap-topper-for-older-8-ft-version-trucks-Ford-Dodge-Chevy-1-24-1-25-/221775625557

Edited by landman

Thanks guys! This Father end of this is gonna be a dang good fun one!!!!! Just because as I've said, the truck itself, the model.... I'm building from several parts donors due to one, its age, two, its difficult to get a straight bed Dodge and three, its got to be 4x4, BUT kept "stock" height, and looks. My truck in this set, the real one is/was as you see the model. Which its easier to "lift" them, then it is to keep them bone stock like my Dads '79..... Having said that, I've been "fitting" and measuring the suspension to keep it as stock as I can possibly get it, NOT sure how easy or difficult that might be and what modifications I'm gonna have to do to get it that way, BUT, we'll see, as I plan to do whatever it might take in order to get the "look" right.

As you see so far, the truck itself, I got the rims (close) to what Dad's were, and tires to match, That is from Vince, THANKS guy! -He's helped me a lot in this build with trades and such, so.....

Dale, ole Big Ears is at it.....LOL But, you knew that! :lol:

YES! O-M-G YES! I'll be looking to see if this seller takes Money Orders (I don't have a paypal account)

MY GAWD, thank you for finding that! -This would be a long shot, BUT...... ANY that you know of like those from the '70's with a flat roof? The Ebay auction is a raised version! (I'd settle for one like it BUT if I can get one thats closer.......

You know where I'm going with that......

EDIT:

ERRRRRR I tried to contact the seller, hes not taking any questions so, I have to pass on that cap..... :unsure:

Edited by 426-Hemi

Looking great dude.

And a paypal account is easy to get, and completely safe to use. I have had one for years and used it for ebay to begin with, but lots of other companies are taking it for online payments now too. Very handy to have, and the benefit is that the person/shop you are buying from never see your credit card details.

Stray, Thanks on the compliments on the truck..... Its been a fun build/rebuild/restore of an old Dodge straight bed!

As for Paypal, my issue is having no bank card or even credit card....... One of them is needed for a paypal account that I don't have, thats stops me from getting a paypal account and I've tried it with reloadable-credit/debt cards and the ones offered locally don't support papal! SO, I'm S.O.L, on that one......I'll find one at some point I guess, but till then...... I'll build the truck as Dad drove it in the summer.....

Once you get a paypal account, life will change for you in the ebay world..........................dramatically. I'm like a frikkin kid in a candy store in that place. The scary thing is once you have a PayPal account set up and link it to Ebay is that it's so dang easy to buy stuff. Too easy really!!

SO, with the weather being NIICE out its been difficult getting "A LOT" done on any modeling but I did manage a little bit.....
I got to looking at that old Donor frame, that I'm trying to save as its styrene for my Railroad truck build as I'll be doing extensive frame work to it for that model, BUT I was more interested in the suspension to go under my Dads '79 Adventurer 150...... SO, I seen that the crude steering details they at MPC made way back when, it was good for the time back then, BUT, I thought I could improve upon it....
Went from this:

Removed from the styrene frame.....

Better view as the part itself. I think that steering tie-rod, could be improved in detailing so, I went on to do a bit more then just replace the missing "rod" MPC had originally with the part.
Heres what I made it to be:

Right side up, removed from the leaf springs, for detailing and height adjustment. I also added the drag link that would connect to anther rod that goes to the power steering, this detail wasn't even one the model, I made it myself, and added it from pictures of a real Dodge Adventurer truck! -It is a bit different from what I had in my Power Wagon! I knew there would be differences, BUT I tell you all, theres a bit more building these 2 trucks then I ever thought in the beginning, more then just the exterior, and interior...... AND even the motors!

Notice, I removed a bit out of the mount where the rear mounts to the leaf springs! to lower the stance a bit, as my Dads real truck didn't appear "lifted" and left this part of the model alone, it would have made the truck look "lifted" BUT, it also wasn't "lowered" either, altho, thats what I've sort of done here, is lowered the trucks frame and body over the tires.... NOT a "low Rider" but more of a family truck sort of height!

Same front axle, flipped over looking at the bottom! I got to paint this thing an getting it ready BUT I may as well get as much detail on it as I can before it gets painted!
More to follow right after these short messages! ENJOY!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

So as I mentioned, I didn't get "A lot" done, BUT what I did get done was pretty intense. I got the front axle ready for paint, and some more details, BUT I also got the tires on rims, and some detail done to them as well!

White spoke wheels, on the times as I pictured earlier..... Looks really good! I got to add chrome lug nut bolts yet and the front set of wheels needs to have some sort of lock-in, lock-out hub assemble done to the rim but other then that the set of 4 look really good! (I have to also make a spare), BUT with a white steel wheel on it! -Which is coming too! I got a spare steel wheel to use, I just got to do a little detail work to the wheel and then paint it white!

A little different angle and a bit closer.....

NOW comes the fun! Flipped over tires! Top 2 side-by-side are the front tires, and the lower 2 side-by-side are the backs! The top 2, have disk brakes, (rotors) as you can see, with calipers, the rotors, and calipers I MADE! The caliper has a hole drilled in it to except the brake line and fitting! BOTH sides drilled to have the caliper behind the axle center, as the real one would have!
Then you can see the rear tires with DRUM brakes, Again, the DRUMS I MADE! I have yet to drill them for the brake line and fittings!

Being "pre-made" these ALL will be "directional" to the truck! I want to get the wheels and tires on the axles this time BEFORE the axles are mounted ot the suspension, to adjust the height of the truck accordingly to what my Dads would have been! Building this way, will allow me to do that, AND add as much detail as I can just like I did my model of the truck I was building way back when.....
Next part to be handled is the rear axle! A bit of work needs done before I can get to where I am on the front!
Thats it for now! More to come when I'm able, ENJOY!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update