Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Father & Son" Dodge Truck build.. NEW progress pics 9-10-16

Hang in there John. Attitude and patience will prevail here. You'll be back to working on this build before you know it. Gator did bring up a good point with the snap kits. There are some of those out there that I actually thought about building and have seen built here that turned out great. You've got this man, it's just gotta be on life's terms right now. Cool

-it is a good point, great direction and advice. please don't get me wrong here. BUT I'm simply to damned hard headed to listen to/for reason, I gotta do everything the hard way..... LOL ask my wife LOL

All joking aside, the skill 2 kits well, one I don't have any, and 2, I for the condition my hands were/are in, don't think I did to bad on my '68 Roadrunner build...... NOW however, I'm about to embark in getting my air brush out and see, on scrap what I can do with it and CLEANING it (cleaning it is gonna be the hard part I think), so, we'll see...... Till then I'm building "other" stuff thats gonna be used in up coming builds, engines and such..... As well as machining out parts/details! -I'm just not happy, if I'm not doing something and however fast, moving forward!

John,

It is good to know that you are back at the workbench doing things,even if it is not a complete model.  Hang in there. It will get better!

When I hurt my back years ago. One of the things that kept me going .was this thought. " No matter how bad I was hurting, somewhere there was someone who was in much worse shape than me!"

Be Well

gator

• 2 weeks later...

Gator, I agree. there is always someone else in worse shape, I'm healing, (slowly) but the slowness of it is whats building strength. in my hands, and endurance otherwise.....

But, It will come, (I hope to attempt my air brush this weekend) I haven't been able too with things around the house and stuff. SO, that being said, stay tuned!

So everyone, I am only bringing this back up to top to let everyone know, I am still unable to run my air brush..... Sadly, meaning this one, has to be sat aside to a time that I can as the only way to "continue" on this model is using the air brush (I refuse, to spray it with a rattle can) so.... I'm working on "others" needing frame assembly work, so heres my next one

Edited by 426-Hemi
Delete of a quote that was from me....

Greg,

Yeah I'm not doin' to bad............. (Been thinkin' of this set too, I'm able to "build" so... which my Dads truck in this is in pieces, needing assembly, as a lot of the hard stuff was done before my accident so.....

BUT I got the dream truck going right now, (May work work on both as at times its hard to go back and forth with one model as things get painted, glued has to dry, you can only jump around on one model so much till it all has to sit to dry...........  SO. been thinkin' of a lot of them I got goin' on!

WELL, well well, it sure has been awhile, on this model! (My accident well, yeah, you know all about it!) ANYWAY, I had gotten to the point on my "Dream Truck" build that I needed more parts to continue so... (I have to order the parts, when I have the spare $$$ to do so) SO, I sat it aside and just pulled out another that I had already got a good go on and in doing so, I seen this one, having ALL the details on the differentials, both front and back, and seen I had the suspension in place, followed by the brake lines were also don, SO.... I thought having a lot of the hard work already done, WHY NOT? pick back up where I left off, assembly and adding the remaining detail as I went. (SOME small details had to changed from my prior work in order to get it all to fit.
SO, to re-start this build, I took the firewall and got a good look at what I had originally done, and what was remaining to be needed.

Well was pretty much done besides needing some wiring holes drilled into it (almost impossible for me to get pics of!) BUT I seen that it needed brake lines coming from the master cylinder, and some other wires added, BUT, those other wires, won't be in-place till AFTER the firewall goes onto the frame, and the motor is in place! I did the brake lines on my spring arbor to get them as-seen, line (or close) to what they'd be on a real car or truck. Thing is, these have to done a special way as the area they are. the inner fender wells of the truck model make for TIGHT clearances in this area, so.. PLUS, I had to add in a triple valve to the ends of them, and mount it to the frame. I had to pre-think how this was going to go from my last truck (my truck) in this build as they BOTH have the steering shaft work in them, so I had to plan for its placement, as well how things would go, around it.
Then once that as all done on the firewall, I had before me was thee engine! This happens to be a Mopar 318 LA. Thing is, my Dad changed his in real life (He changed EVERY "318" he owned), in all of my life and know about, as ALL Mopar LA 318 (NOT to be confused with the 318 "Magnum" 2 different engines!), were made with a 2 barrel carburetor. Dad, well he was him, and as I know him, and know how he like "upgrading" as he called it, things, he took a 4 barrel intake from a Mopar LA 360 and added it to the 318. The 318-340 & 360 could all take intakes from one to another AS LONG as they weren't "High-Performance" intakes as those were found on the 340. They had different "runner" set ups, that wouldn't work on the 318's without a head change.
ANYWAY, I noticed a few small details not on the model 318 of mine here. One being the transmission dip-stick for the automatic Mopar 727 Torqueflite wasn't made and added. Seen here:

I had made my own head-bolt "hanger" to support the top end of the dip-stick, and be able to "shape" it around the head, and exhaust manifolds..... And for what it is, and was, looks pretty good!
The engine isn't "missing" anything else right now, (I have yet to address the air cleaner, BUT that will be done once its in the frame, and the engine compartment is around it. SO, that is missing, but will come! A little detail touch up once all the handing is done (motor in the frame to stay) is when that will happen.
SO then, I got to looking at the frame, and you know, I had the axles done, ready to go in place, and I had a look over them to see if they were missing any of my "standard" details BEFORE they were added to the frame as the frame at this point, had ALL of its suspension in place, just waiting to have the axles added. SO..... Just a "quick" mock-up" of the frame and all to make sure the axles were the same height and the truck sat level front-to-back, and side-to-side. SO, here we have it!

Mock-up, looks pretty dang good from here! SO, being it is, I've added the axles both front and back, centered the wheels in the wheel wells, with the body in place and glued the 4x4 differentials in place. Nice thing is, this build is "low" (not exactly my thing on a 4x4 of this type) BUT, thats how my Dad had it, he wanted a reliable, everyday driver, with a little power but be "pleasing" to drive and all for work, so he kept it "stock" for the most part, ALL that I know he changed in owning this truck, was the engines valve covers, air cleaner, oil and transmission dip stick "ends" ALL were "Dress-up" parts in chrome, (YEAH, he LOVED chrome!) He undercoated the whole thing underside. And added the white spoke rims (if I remember correctly, he got the truck with steel wheels (NO Hub caps) so....I think he also had planned to put dual exhaust on it, BUT that never happened, the flood took the truck before he got to add dual exhaust out the back..... This I remember talks of it by family members.... I also think/recall he added a little chrome "bling" in the interior, but nothing more then chrome knobs on the automatic gear shift lever on the column. MAYBE the turn signal lever, (I can't remember!) So. I'll be talking with my uncle, to see, if he remembers/knows or not. -He helped my Dad a lot on doing stuff like this that was those 2's "past time"...

Front differential in place. (MAN, the spots!) Thats dust! And I "dusted" them BEFORE working on them, or taking these pictures! Probably doesn't help that there is a lot of "black" paint...... Shows every speck of dirt.
ANYWAY, The differential has its cross hard line brake line on it, as can be seen, as well as the "hose" on either end going to the brake rotor. As well as all its fittings. I had all this DONE! So really all I have to do here is add the bell-crank, that is for the steering from the gear box, to the radius rod that actuates the steering, when the wheel is turned inside the cab. That one detail is al lthat remains here, I have yet to make this part, I'm trying to work around what is needed thats a bit more in-depth of work, as this won't take a lot to make.
So with that we'll more right to the rear differential!

Not to shabby here either, the part already had its hard brake line running across the axle length, so checking for any loose parts (MAYBE, if any) and that they all were detailed, so with that, all was great. I just had to find the "center" of the wheel well for mounting it. Done and in-place!!!!! All that remains now is the brake hose connecting the axle hard line to the frame hard line, and its fittings, which is made, and I got the fittings painted, I have yet to paint the wire as the hose.....
Also got to looking a the spare tire..... Looks really good, BUT I have to make the wheel mount to hold it in place as of yet, Thats coming, just not right now! I'll make that once I have the frame DONE, ready for interior work for the cab. As normally, I work at the model in the following order: Engine, DETAIL, transmission, DETAIL, frame, DETAIL, suspension, DETAIL, axles, DETAIL, Wheels & Tires, DETAIL, Interior, DETAIL, body DETAIL, -Complete. With having said that, The last details to be added, would be the bumpers, (in this case) any "in the bed details" I plan to add, and then the spare tire details, (I had to get the spare done for frame placement to aid in the location/how run the exhaust. Just for pre-planning. Granted, thats why I'm not going to continue any further on the spare and its detail as it will be in place and removed several times before the model is all done!
So I thought I'd show pics of the rear portion to clarify the placement and details of the rear axle and stuff.
Then, moving right along..... We get to the engine compartment. I took and mounted the firewall in place AFTER the brake lines from the master cylinder were dry and paint was dry.... While it was setting I set down to make the triple valve. Got it painted, and once that was placed onto the ends of the brake lines, the whole sub-assembly was located to the frame and mounted. Then I allowed that to dry, and moved right along on the frame as then, all the brake lines coming and going from the triple valve needed made and installed. Which seen here:

All that is in place! UNPAINTED but in-place. I'll go back and paint it once its dry, to keep from having to do it twice. (tight quarters) You can see how the triple valve was mounted and all the lines ran from it.

Other side of the firewall (behind it) to show the triple valve rear brake line feed.
This is it for now till more progress is done, I just re-picked up this model to continue its build, SO there will be a bit to do, for pictures as I continue.... BUT as time goes and things are done, more will follow, stay tuned! (I'll go till I get to a place, I can't continue either with needing something, or limitations from my hands..... BUT that, we'll see!
ENJOY!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

So a bit more to add.....
I left off with adding the brake line to the rear axle, NOW its time I get the fuel lines in place. Dads truck, had the fuel tank behind the bench seat, in the cab! SO, having said that, (a bit different for me) I had to come up with what needed done to get them in place....
I had to locate where they would pass through the floor panels, and follow the frame rails to the front, (or towards it anyway) to the "T" that has the return line.

Seen above is the "T" in brass, with mounting pad, as well as the dual lines headed back to the tank through the floor!

Seen here is the front line out of the "T" to the engine's mechanical fuel pump. It goes over the top of the engine mount, to a bracket that has 2 fittings, one to hold the "hard" line and on the other side, a fitting to couple a hose top it from the mechanical fuel pump thats on the engine.
Short post, More to come after these short messages!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

So while I was adding the fuel lines, I totally spaced the radius rod for the steering! I got the fuel lines done, and right to making and adding that steering rod to the frame!!!!

VERY DIFFICULT, to do and to see in the pic. BUT I managed to get it on there!!!!
I had to test fit the engine a few times to make sure placement of things was right and noticed the engine didn't quite sit right. SO, I had to modify the mounts just a little, wasn't to bad to do!

So once that was done, back to where I left off on the steering details!
I also had yet to add the actual steering shaft, leading from the firewall to the steering gearbox! SO, off to the parts bins I went to see what I had suitable for the detail.... a small shaft of some sort (has a U-joint sort of in it) so, thats what it was gonna begin from!

Its built, and in place, to stay, but needed painted which I did as you see it!

Painted, to stay, and now everything looks pretty good! I am getting ready to install the 318 engine.....
More to come as progress happens, ENJOY!!!!!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

Your detailing is superb John. fingers or no fingers.  ;)

Good to see a couple of them in the pic mate.  :)

Thanks Dale! As for pics with "fingers" the pic that has me holding the frame, and taking the pic of the front suspension, the finger that fell in the middle of the frame, well thats the one missing part on my left hand!

This one -----^

The transmission mount on the frame the finger behind that..... LOL SO yeah the left hand is coming along, (I'm still not able to use the air brush) BUT, I do have PLENTY to detail and build till I am able! And I got to say, I'm having fun doing that so..... (I got PLENTY kits in-process!) so.....

But anyway, thanks man!

Stay tuned, more to come!

Edited by 426-Hemi
non-working link

So a bit more to add....
I actually got the engine in place in the frame rail mounted to STAY!

Shows it in place. The loose red wire is coming off the alternator. The rest that were loose are in place! Notice, the holes drilled into the steering gearbox? Those are for the plumbing from the power steering pump, to be added!

This pic shows the fitting on the end of the fuel line that will have a hose connected to the fuel pump on the engine!

In this pic, you can see the hole for the fuel line hose to go to the mechanical fuel pump, the hole is present!
ALL of thee above are all thats left to do as far as connections to the lower portion of the motor and or belt run systems.
Then we go to the underside of the truck!
For those thats following remember, I got to get the axles in place but had NO shocks in-place on the suspension! _I had to pick out what I was gonna use for this as the stock parts on the front did not come with the kit for a 4x4 truck, (made from the Little Red Express), it was a 2x4 truck and had no front shocks!) SO, I choose to use coil overs in the front.

You can see the mount on the OUTSIDE of the frame just behind the wheel!

A bit better shot of that side!

A bit of both sides seen here. These where fun! I had to come up with a coil-over shock, that also had a mount for the axle, and a flat pad on the opposite end to have a frame mount made for it. -The frame mount was made from the left over engine mount cross member I cut out to get the engine to fit the way it was made too (like real life) so. I keep all those left overs on the bench so when needed I have them for such uses!

A good shot of the frame mount behind the wheel assembly.

Same thing, other side! The whole front suspension is now complete!!!!!! Then while the frame was sitting there upside-down, I thought and seen that the divorced transfer case and jack shaft were sitting waiting to be added to the truck so I thought, I'd get them in place since the motor was in to stay!

In this, I took the stock "salvaged" transfer case from the donor frame I used, and detailed it just a bit, by adding a "pan" on it, for changing and checking the internal parts and grease/oil (heavy oil if used) changes. I may add a drain plug to it yet!
So far all looks pretty good, I'm very pleased! My next task, is getting the shocks on the rear axle!
Stay tuned, more to come as I get that accomplished!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

Well as mentioned, my next task was to get the rear shocks picked out, and painted, and then by all means, in place! WELL what seemed to be the fun was finding the shocks to fit. As the truck itself, was "leveled" front to back to keep a stock height 4x4. Just as my Dad had it. Problem being, was that the box stock truck was a 2x4 truck, that had the rear slightly lifted, to give the truck a "raked look". Having said that, The rear shocks for this were slightly longer, then what a leveled 4x4 truck would have had. SO, making the task a bit more difficult. SO, off to the parts organizer that I had shocks in I went. SADLY, I didn't then and don't now have a lot of choices for shocks. SO, then I went to hit the kit boxes! (I have a BUNCH of kits that is getting the "stance" changed), requiring custom made shocks (I didn't want to have to go that route this time. SO, I found/looked for what I had left or would from other builds, that had the stance changed.) I plan to lower a this kit I have, so will need special made shocks when the time comes. SO, the box-stock shocks in the kit were in question for this build. Turns out, these work GREAT! So, off to making them the Monroe shocks that my Dad kept under his truck these went. White and Dark Blue. With the mounts made to reflect the rear and floorboards there were to connect too!

I got a little touch-up to do..... BUT so far, this whole truck frame looks GREAT!!!!!
Now that I got the suspension done, I have to go through do a quick paint touch-up and then I can move on to getting the exhaust piping done. Then the rest of the fine details.
So while I was waiting for the The shocks to dry once they were painted, I began looking at the frame to see what I had to do to get the exhaust pipe started. Needless to say this truck, with its Mopar "LA" 318 engine and my Dad being well, my Dad, he left almost everything stock, UNLESS it could be easily seen or HEARD. SO, Having said that this truck Dad left it have a single pipe exhaust, meaning it needed a "Y" pipe to have the 2 exhaust manifolds crossover to one pipe exit. Meaning, I had to make my own "Y" pipe for it! SO..... I sat out to make a "Y" pipe.

Now granted, its only as-is as I have a LOT of "forming" yet to do, BUT thats not to say I will even "try" to form it as it is. BECAUSE one wrong bend in the pipe, means I'll be making a 2nd one! SO...... I might do as little "forming" as I can get away with, and cut it to length to have other formed pipe, meet up to it, with a pipe joint. This will save me the headache of having to do things over again that aren't exactly easy to do in the first place. This whole thing will be made to have a single muffler and will exist the truck just behind the driver's side rear tire! -The only thing I can think of at this point my Dad did to his real truck was one, put on a single "Glass Pack" muffler, AND a chrome exhaust tip. Which means, BOTH these 2 details, I'll be making custom from bits I have around the shop. My Uncle told me that Dad spoke of doing a full exhaust on this truck over the last winter he had it, BEFORE the spring flood took it from him, as he wanted to put dual exhaust out the back on it, but never got around to doing it so it will be made in reflection of what his real truck had.
Thats it for now, More to come when I got more to add!!!!! -Thanks for lookin'!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

Well now that the frame's 95% complete, I thought I'd get right into the detail of the engine! I had to add the fuel line to the mechanical fuel pump..... What a fun little hose to make FIT!

You can see it bare copper right below the alternator!
Once that was in to stay, and painted to resemble a hose, the fun began! The power steering hoses from the pump on the belt set up, to the gear box on the frame. the first one was made, "formed" and the hose "pipe allowed to look the part, and a sleeve over it to look like a "hose" also "formed" and once fitted, the "pipe" was painted to look like a steel pipe, on each end. There are 2 of these hoses.
First one:

Good GAWD is that chrome bright!

"Hard line" painted to look the part. Shaping this supply line was a fun task, OMG if you guys only knew, (the pump is only glued to ONLY the pulley and belts!) Makes doing these type details a real PITA! BUT, the detail factor is worth the trouble!
Then the real fun was the return line to the same thing, goes from BEHIND the power steering pump to the steering gear box, and kinda winds around you might say. (trying to get that "factory look" here......

THEN you'll notice in the picture, I also had got the heater hoses in place, on the passenger side of the truck over the edge/corner of the inner fender well! These are done from the engine run through a fitting on the fire wall, left long out the back till they were "in-place" as they have "mounts" along the fenders edge.
There really aren't many more "connections" to the engine to be made, upper and lower radiator hoses, and the alternator wire to the battery, and then the battery wire to the starter.... Then the whole engine compartment will be done! -I'm working out the stuff thats going to be on the radiator core support, next!
More to follow as things get done!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

Thanks Gator!!!! Much appreciated.... -I've been fighting the way I have to make the exhaust, be to fit...... Just NOT what I'm used too, NOR used to doing on a model.... Specially a truck! -So its a bit strange in a few ways, one its a single exhaust (I'm used to making "duals" out the back) and two, its a truck, that well, I can say this be thee only one I've done to date to have single exhaust, single muffler and a SINGLE "Cat" so. (don't normally put in the Cat on a truck is this age) so.... plus it will exit the truck VIA behind the driver's side rear tire..... Not used to that either!

Always pushing my own limits I guess!

So as the holiday continues, HOPEFULLY I'll get more & more done! A lot of "fine" details to go, even under the hood! Anyway, as I had last posted, I got the heater hoses in place. As you all seen, BUT this Mopar 318 ALSO got an A/C too! So, I had to get the parts organizer out to see what I had for A/C hose, to connect it to the firewall. WELL turns out, the A/C hose that I THINK goes to this A/C pump on the fan belt arrangement, but wouldn't "fit" the application (this truck) SO..... I used parts of it, to make it fit. I made my own "hose" for it and hard plumbing.....

Now for the most part, the engine and all is piping and even hose "work" is done, EXCEPT the radiator core support wiring and hose-work, will follow as that has to be looked at to see what all needs done to get it up to the standard of this model truck. -I HAD to get all this small pipe and hose work DONE before the radiator and core support went into place!
SO, I got to looking at the core support, and the factory kit radiator. Both are done well, BUT the radiator needed some sort of "stand-off" from the core support, (I didn't like how it looked mounted almost "flush" to the core support so. I made some "stand-off" mounts, and put them right on the radiator, where the factory mount is!

Looks pretty good, for the distance gained. SO, I went with it.... (Gets the radiator cap just a little "away" from the core support.) Which is what I was out to achieve!
Then, I got to thinking, while working on the radiator, The A/C needed a Condenser too! (radiator-like part) that was to be somewhere in-front, or behind the actual engine cooling radiator! SO, no real space for that behind, so in front its going! In front will allow it to be "sunk" into the opening of the core support just like for the radiator to allow air to blow through it.... BUT the question was, "What do I use?" Off to the parts bin yet again, to see what might be lurking..... All I had was a radiator, with a fan shroud on it, and all one piece connected to the core support, Wasn't interested in using this for a A/C condensing radiator SO, off to junk piles..... I got some old beat up die-cast models from my Step-Son, and low and behold a radiator thats thin enough and small enough to fit the space, with little work to do so! Came out of some car, he gave me some time ago, missing a lot of parts, so I stripped it of things I thought I could use on the model cars, so.....

Core support, painted to match the trucks body color, then the radiator after it got the stand-offs added top it, and below that is the A/C condenser.

Then while I was diggin' for the A/C condenser, and just before I put my parts organizer away, I seen a fan shroud!!!! So, it too will be on this truck! -I don't recall the model kit having one, but both my old Dodge Power Wagon, and Dads Adventurer should have had (My ole '78 truck did but it was badly cracked at both bottom mounts so I removed it when the 360 was pulled and before the 440 went in! So, my model in this build will not have this detail!)
All put there to see.... The fit! Now granted, the radiator is merely just sitting on top of the core support here, but that being said the A/C condenser slips right under with no issue at all, meaning I'll have to make some sort of bracket on the front of the A/C condenser, that will connect it "hang" onto the core support. Hopefully, the front of all this together will be seen between the grille and the front of the core support and all its parts when in the truck as there should be just a little space between the back of the grille, and the front of the core support..... This whole thing when done, WILL not be glued in till I know for sure it all will fit as it should!
I'll have more in a day or so. Hopefully with the holiday of Thanksgiving upon us, I'll be getting a bit more done to this build!
Enjoy for now, more will come!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

Then while I was looking for parts, I totally forgot all about the spare tire, rim, and its mount! I got everything together and put it in place!

Now as you see it, isn't the way its gonna stay! I plan to add a rectangle of wire soldered to the slot of the screw to look like a "grab & twist" that would be like a ring in a bulls nose, BUT not "hinge" as this is also going to remain "REMOVABLE"!!!!! With a little soldering work from me, it should work GREAT as the wire will be HARD music wire! -Ought to strong enough to be grabbed by tweezers for removal!
While the truck was up-side-down, I got to looking at it for placement/design of the exhaust pipe and muffler (and this time a CAT!), and how and where the pipe and things were gonna be! SO, got to thinking, Dad was said to have put a single "Glass Pack" muffler on this truck in real life. Sadly, Thats a detail I know I didn't have, not one to look the part anyway! SO, off to the scrap plastic I went..... grabbed what looked bigger then what I needed and off to the lathe I went! This is what it came out looking like:

The top "piece" is the slug I used for the part, turned down in the lathe it went to looking like what you see on the bottom part. (Just happened to be red plastic too!) As these "Glass Packs" would have been a bright red anyway!

This shows the "end" of the Glass Pack muffler, it was "center drilled" while in the lathe, so that I could turn the pipe connection as thin as I could get it.... Looks good, BUT these "ends" on both ends is made long and got trimmed before they were painted!
Once it was dry, it was glued to the "Y" that I made, that is pictured above! Here it is in place:

Looks pretty good, if you look, I even added the pipe hangers! The pipe is painted Testors "Steel" the Catalytic converter, is painted Testors Metalizer "Titanium" polished, then coated, The muffler itself is painted Krylon "Bright Red". The exhaust pipe hangers are simply blackened copper wire. NO PAINT!

Then, I went to adding the "tail pipe". I had to remove the spare tire in order to make this, BUT I had to keep it in place to route the pipe and judge the bends to get around everything...... Turned out VERY WELL if I do say so, myself!

Looking from the front to the back, to see how the exhaust pipe is bent and is made to fit around everything.

Looking from the back to the front, to show how the tail pipe is mounted, as well as the hangers, The pipe itself, is cut off "long"..... As once the bed is in place, I'll adjust this and add a polished tip (probably Aluminum tube polished, to look like chrome!!!!) -That will be done, on my lathe when I go to do it!
Fits perfectly around the spare tire, and allows space on the frame, for the class 3 hitch I have yet to make, that my Dad had for pulling his camper (I may TRY to build this too at some point, as it will have to be "scratchbuilt", 100% of it!)
Thanks for looking, thats it for now more to come as more is done!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update