Model Cars Magazine Forum

Patriots Steal Another Superbowl

afx

Yeah, I knew there was something going on there. I remember all of the silly explanations people posted here in the original "Deflate-Gate" thread... all about the weather deflating the balls–but somehow not affecting the other team's balls... :lol: , etc. All kinds of silly excuses and explanations from people who couldn't believe that the Patriots cheated.

Now it's official.

if you take away all of Bradys TD passes, New England still wins 24-7. this whole thing is really silly, but it takes the media hounds away from my Browns for a little while... till Manziel falls off the wagon.

The Defategate report is out - looks like Brady ordered (and paid) to have the balls under-inflated . I guess cheaters do win. And sometimes more than once!

Well, what do you expect today? "Legal" today means "whatever you can get away with." More than that I don't think I can say on this board.

...this whole thing is really silly...

Given the state of the planet today and all that's going on in the world, sure, this "scandal" doesn't mean anything.

But when you cheat in sports, no matter how trivial the cheating may be, the result of the competition is tainted because you can never know what the outcome would have been without the cheating.

The Patriots cheated. Whether or not what they did had any effect on the outcome of the game is impossible to know for sure, but the bottom line is that they knowingly and intentionally broke the rules. They cheated. Simple as that. If we accept cheating in sports, then all sports results are meaningless.

Given the state of the planet today and all that's going on in the world, sure, this "scandal" doesn't mean anything.

But when you cheat in sports, no matter how trivial the cheating may be, the result of the competition is tainted because you can never know what the outcome would have been without the cheating.

The Patriots cheated. Whether or not what they did had any effect on the outcome of the game is impossible to know for sure, but the bottom line is that they knowingly and intentionally broke the rules. They cheated. Simple as that. If we accept cheating in sports, then all sports results are meaningless.

Real good point Harry...

Real good point Harry...

To add to my point...

The whole point of professional sports (aside from the entertainment aspect) is that people compete in order to determine a winner. Baseball, football, basketball, tennis, golf, hockey, soccer, polo, track, racing... whatever... the whole point of taking part in a sport is to compete to win. If cheating becomes part of the equation–if one side competes under different circumstances than the other side–we can no longer accurately determine who legitimately won, so the whole point of the contest is lost.

To add to my point...

The whole point of professional sports (aside from the entertainment aspect) is that people compete in order to determine a winner. Baseball, football, basketball, tennis, golf, hockey, soccer, polo, track, racing... whatever... the whole point of taking part in a sport is to compete to win. If cheating becomes part of the equation–if one side competes under different circumstances than the other side–we can no longer accurately determine who legitimately won, so the whole point of the contest is lost.

In professional football the only game they play under the same circumstances is at the Superbowl. Home Field advantage is a big thing .

"CHEATING" goes on in every sport and in every game. Jerry Rice confessed he sprayed his gloves with stickum, O-linemen sprayed themselves down with "PAM" cooking spray, corked bats, illegal hits, spitballs, nail files, hard fouls. it's all part of the game and it is cheating till you get caught... or is it? players will do anything to get an advantage over the next guy. cause if you don't, he certainly will. anyone who doesn't think cheating goes on in every game, should not be watching sports.

In professional football the only game they play under the same circumstances is at the Superbowl. Home Field advantage is a big thing .

can "home field advantage" be cheating also?

true. home field advantage means the most in baseball, you get the last chance to score, if you get more than the other guys, you win. speaking of baseball and home field advantage, I can remember the Imdians moving the fences in in the 90's when they had all the home run hitters. teams putting "extra water" down in the infield to slow Rickey Henderson down. tapering the ground either away or towards the foul line. the opponents bull pen mounds being lower than regulation, even architects designing the stadium so that the sun shines in on the opposing team.

you can go on and on.... but "cheating" is and always has been part of the game.

Yawn. Here's your complimentary dead horse and stick.

Cheating happens. No, it's not moral, and no, it shouldn't be part of the game.

This, in the end, it's only a game and IMHO, not worth stressing about. After the last month's events surrounding Mom and what is yet to come, I could care even less than I did when this whole mess raised it's ugly head months ago.......and even then, it wasn't even a rat's tookus!

can "home field advantage" be cheating also?

true. home field advantage means the most in baseball, you get the last chance to score, if you get more than the other guys, you win. speaking of baseball and home field advantage, I can remember the Imdians moving the fences in in the 90's when they had all the home run hitters. teams putting "extra water" down in the infield to slow Rickey Henderson down. tapering the ground either away or towards the foul line. the opponents bull pen mounds being lower than regulation, even architects designing the stadium so that the sun shines in on the opposing team.

you can go on and on.... but "cheating" is and always has been part of the game.

The Tigers also moved the fences when they built the new park, then they moved them in after a few years. BaseBall, a game of stats and the parks outfields do not measure the same. LOL

The Cold of Green Bay , The 12 Man in Seattle , The Dog Pound , the time zone difference it all adds up to not the same game for both teams, this is my point .

"CHEATING" goes on in every sport and in every game. Jerry Rice confessed he sprayed his gloves with stickum, O-linemen sprayed themselves down with "PAM" cooking spray, corked bats, illegal hits, spitballs, nail files, hard fouls. it's all part of the game and it is cheating till you get caught... or is it? players will do anything to get an advantage over the next guy. cause if you don't, he certainly will. anyone who doesn't think cheating goes on in every game, should not be watching sports.

Interesting perspective Al. So at what level of sports should we condone or maybe even encourage cheating - college, high school, little league?

Interesting perspective Al. So at what level of sports should we condone or maybe even encourage cheating - college, high school, little league?

whatever age or level you start telling them that your not here "just for the fun of it", man I hate that!! heard this in the radio this morning, " your not teaching them to cheat, your teaching them to take advantage of weaknesses within the rules" and believe me, there are 9 and 10 year olds that if they know the game that they are playing well, you don't have to teach them much, they know.

example, just last night on my son's (who is 13) baseball team, the batter's box gets obliterated in the first inning, the other team was up in the box and clearly stepping out of the box when they hit, that is an out, we questioned the ump and he stated he is the only ump and he is not watching. so when they put in a slower pitcher, we told our kids to do the same. cheating? I don't know, you tell me.

back in my day, as a catcher, I would spit or throw rocks on guys shoes when they had 2 strikes on them.

Cathie decided we weren't watching the Superbowl at our house this year. We are trying to teach a lesson about fair play. She didn't want the kids to watch and cheer for somebody who clearly wasn't playing by the rules. I have watched every Superbowl. (Although, I am sure that the first two or three were interrupted by nap times) I thought I would sneak out and watch it somewhere by myself, but the truth was, I was as jaded as she was. Goodell is so concerned about the reputation of the game that he is suspending players left and Right for every little off field offense, but he is just pandering to media and social pressures. He has done nothing to protect the integrity of the game itself. I took the young'uns in the basement and we played with slot cars while watching a VHS tape of the 1991 Daytona 500 a buddy found in the trunk of a used car he bought. I never regretted skipping the game.

I spent decades in racing at different levels. One common thread from the Saturday night shorttrack to the NHRA was technical inspection. I was responsible for presenting a legal car at the end of the race. If I didn't, they didn't launch an investigation to see whose fault it was. They just congratulated the guy behind me in the line and took the trophy out of my hands. If my car wasn't legal during the race, I got the heave ho. One of the frustrating Patriot's arguments was that it was such a blowout that it wouldn't matter. I never saw a racer get a DQ overturned by claiming, "I beat him by so much more than I cheated by, I should still win."

Deflating footballs during a Championship game for the first time would not be an advantage. You want to practice and play with the same balls for consistency. Playing the AFC Championship game with a completely different ball than you played the rest of the season would not make sense. That, and the deliberate stonewalling and withholding of information during the investigation makes it look as if this was an ongoing thing. Baltimore should be livid, as they lost a very close game to New England the week before. They should have either tossed out the win against Indy, or suspended Brady and the coaching staff for the Superbowl. Anything they do now is just for show. They will probably fine them a few hundred thousand of the millions they gain from a Superbowl. The penalty won't even matter.

The real lesson for the kids should be this, "You live in the real world. Cheat, Cheat, Cheat! You will surpass the people who don't cheat, and any consequences will just be part of the price of success. Somehow, I don't think Cathie will approve of that lecture. I don't either. If you can't play by the rules, don't play. At the very least, if you get caught cheating, it should negate the outcome of the contest.

I find it hilarious that Dave skipped the super bowl because of family commitments.

The Patriots will be penalized from a report created to cause the least amount of damage to the league. Think of any other "finding" that could possibly give more legitimacy to Deflategate. But the Patriot's greatest run by any NFL team since the 1940s (an era of free agency no less) will be tainted by an extra video camera and too soft footballs.

In the meantime, don't hate them 'cause they win:

<url>http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/a-new-englanders-guide-to-labeling-every-other-nfl-team-a-cheat-135901897.html</url>

Am I ok with cheating? Nope. Penalize em all. But the Lions will still suck ... sorry Dave. But you can always DVR NASCAR.

Every team gets the same amount of home games so thats equal. i like what Tom Jackson has said in the past. The only way to get a players attention on breaking any rules is take him of the field. then you get thier paycheck and the game they love gets results...

Every team gets the same amount of home games so thats equal. i like what Tom Jackson has said in the past. The only way to get a players attention on breaking any rules is take him of the field. then you get thier paycheck and the game they love gets results...

Not true. Once they get in the playoffs the team with the best record hosts the game in their house. Do you think a warm weather team playing in Green Bay in December is even? Sure they are playing in the same weather but if you do not live in the climate it will affect your play.