Model Cars Magazine Forum

Primer rods CBP

Jantrix

Okay just for fun, I'd like to start a CBP on Primer Rods. I saw one on TRaK and thought it was a cool idea.

What is a primer rod you ask? Well folks it's a vehicle that never seems to get past the primer stage.

Especially since a simple coat of paint on your 1:1 project car will run you $3000 + at the cheapest shop in town.

A real nice paint job will require a second mortgage on the house.

So this will be a tribute CBP to all those great rides that languish for years in red oxide,or some other primer.

Rules -

Model type - anything with wheels, that might be in someones garage, car port, driveway, or backyard, lovingly wrenched on, on weekends and holidays.

Build style - anything goes, rat rods, tuners, semis, motorcycles, kustoms, whatever.

Finish date - nah, we don't need no stinking finish date.

Paint allowed - PRIMER! Which can be just about any color these days, so feel free to get creative. But primer is a flat/matte (non-glossy/non metallic) finish. Pinstripes, scallops, sponsorship decals, even racing stripes are all fine. It wouldn't be the first set of rally stripes I've seen masked off and sprayed with Rustoleum.

Weathering - Primer is usually laid after the body work is done, but I've seen plenty of primered cars with rust coming back through. Dirty too.

Starting point - any. The build can be brand new or it can be something that's been camping out on your shelf for 10 years, 95% complete. If you have some previously completed primer rods, feel free to post them up, it might give someone some inspiration.

Let's get to work! B)

Edited by Jantrix

This one is already done, it was a rebuild of a glue bomb. I Still need to fix the headers... <_< I had the fenders for the bed, but I hate them. The boxy look of those aftermarket beds ruins the look of all the mini-trucks I've seen them on. I wanted to try some old 50's Ford F-100 fenders, but I'm out. Anyway, I mostly rebuilt what was left of the kit, and replaced the headers and added the spoiler, which I'm thinking about painting black... :unsure: the fuel cell in the bed, and a rear bumper.

I'll probably add a fresh build to this as time permits.

102_1936.jpg

102_1939.jpg

102_1935.jpg

Nice gap, Revell.... :rolleyes:

102_1934.jpg

Ok. Here is a 53 Ford custom that I did as one that's in progress and the guy wants to drive it a little cause he has no money to finish it yet. It has 56 Packard tail lights, custom parts up front from the 57 Chevy (AMT). The skirts came from the parts box and there is a Camaro sub frame up front also with a 350 for go power. Chopped top and it still needs a little work on the left rear fender where you can see a little bondo on top. Wire wheels are from the convertible kit along with the dual exhaust.

IMG_0895_zps1390d19f.jpg

IMG_0907_zpseae47968.jpg

IMG_0917_zpsc5f57090.jpg

I hope ya like it and thanks fer lookin. Dan

Edited by 59 Impala

A 1934 Ford pickup from Lindberg changed to a '32 . '49 Merc (AMT) flathead with dual carbs. Meant to be a guy's unfinished rod from the year 1960. Box was shortened and side mount tire well removed with "sheet metal" from a spare set of duece fenders to fill the hole. Mostly wired and plumbed. '40 Ford steering wheel and column shift.post-14132-0-47234400-1431226290_thumb.j

Here's a 41 Willy's that was found in a barn and needed alot of work to get road ready. Barf Breath removed it from the frame and did his magic on it. It has a 56 Chevy rear end and a Willy's 4 banger to get it moving. Of course he did a tad bit of work on the engine also. He installed a lowered front axle for a 40 Ford coupe that he had laying around in the garage. He also found a front bumper from a 40 Ford truck and a different left door and started driving it for the rest of the summer.

willys39.jpg

willys58.jpg

willys60.jpg

willys66.jpg

Edited by 59 Impala

Here's a couple builds that will getting the primer treatment. I need to take some updated shots.

This is an AMT '70 Chevelle that was until recently being built for the fiance of a family member, but whom is now no longer in the picture. I've tried contacting him about the build but with no reply after 6 months, I figure it's now mine.

2014-07-26%2017.46.46_zps59i2s4ty.jpg

2014-07-26%2017.47.40_zps1eclncnv.jpg

The second is a '49 Ford kustom that will be flat black.

2013-10-05092124_zps7ddaa4eb.jpg

Here's the the Chevelle in gloss grey. It will get BMF and stripes and then a coat of Testors dullcoat. I'm just going for a nice shelf model here. Nothing fancy. I may strip and repaint the grill bumpers in a matte silver to stay with the theme.

20150512_065234_zpsd1ttsqoi.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Here is one I did a couple of years ago...

Nascar front and rear end mated to the stock frame....

I primed it with Duplicolor sandable black, thinking I would gloss and polish it, but the primer went on sooo nice......

I left it....

IMG_3206600x450_zps80b7e3e8.jpg

IMG_3204_zps14932e4b.jpg

IMG_3205_zpsdac6b6fa.jpg

Thanks for looking in...

There will be more Primer Rods coming from this bench !

Cheers