Model Cars Magazine Forum

What kind of modeling book are you looking for? "How To" , "picture book", "History" ( Model types, Companys I.E.), " List" ? ;) There's a bunch out there. Check Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_10?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=car+models&sprefix=car+models%2Caps%2C212&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Acar+models

Google is your friend : https://www.google.com/search?q=model+car+books&espv=2&biw=1221&bih=702&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=wp9OVaWlFsOfggTtioCQBA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

wade through that. :lol:

there is also a book out from Dennis Doty lots of info in that book

There are actually three books out from Dennis.

His first one, the Complete Book of Model Car Building, then he wrote two more:

Getting Started

Advanced Techiques

I highly recommend these, if the reader is looking for guidance in building model cars from plastic kits.

For the discerning nutter, I recommend Gerald Wingrove's books.

But better than any books is this forum, because the accumulated wealth of knowledge and talent right here can never be matched by any book.

There are any number of good modeling books - the aforementioned Dennis Doty books, the many Kalmbach modeling techniques and genre books authored by Bill Coulter, Terry Jessee, Pat Covert, et al. Even my own out-of-print book under the MBI label "Collecting Model Car and Truck Kits" - although it is getting really pricey these days, and Terry Jessee's "Hot Rod Model Kits" from the same publisher.

But my hands-down pick as the first priority is the same one Nick mentioned above -Bill Coulter's new book on Mustang model car kits. It is just outstanding on every possible level. It features over 200 full color pages on every generation of Mustang kit - plus many how-to building tips and projects. Our own Harry Pri. did the graphics layout and it is outstanding as well. Highly, highly recommended.

TIM

WOW. What a great bunch of responses. Thank you all. I'm coming back from a long break from this hobby. I still had a couple of dozen kits that I just stored away. Most from the early eighties. I've been back for about a year now and picked up doing 1/35th military stuff but find the scale and the cost of these kits difficult to swing. As for military modeling there are many "how to" books covering detailing and weathering (painting). I was just wondering if there were scale auto specific books out there. Mainly interested in detailing how to's but very interested in weathering and "hot rodding". Again thanks for all your suggestions.

I got a couple of automotive modelling books that I really like.

"How to build creative dioramas for your scale auto models" written by Ken Hamilton

"Scale model trucks & emergency vehicles" written by Terry Jessee

I also got one that I really like on how to do diorama bases, it is not really a automotive book but the technics can be used. It is called "The scenery manual" from Woodland Scenics and is actually a railwaymodelling book.

One of the most inspirational books I know is the Model Car, Truck and Motorcycle Handbook by Robert Schleicher.

Despite it is 1978 vintage, it has a lot of useful tips for the low budget modeller and some photos that must be seen to be believed, especially considering the time it was written.

It's available second hand:

http://www.amazon.com/Model-Car-Truck-Motorcycle-Handbook/dp/0801966264/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1431726589&sr=1-3&keywords=robert+schleicher+model+car

81hD5L-mp1L.jpg

I would also search out books by Gerald Wingrove. He scratch built many awesome classic automobiles and put out a couple of books describing them. Consider these a master class in model making. Maybe you might not want to go to his lengths but the pictures are great and a lot of things can be learned.