Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stretched Revel W-900

Ok so it's just a shot of the STRETCHED chassis with the suspension and engine and battery boxes for now. I was doing the body in a metallic maroon, but the paint just was NOT behaving. So she's sitting in some purple power right now. Trying to think of what color to paint it, with what I have. I have like 4 shades of blue, Some red, Some yellow, the pink and the white are for a different project. Though I did set the can of pink paint on the chassis to give an idea of the stretch. I have some purple, both the plum crazy and some Krylon purple that looks nice. I was thinking the DARK blue that I'm using on the frame of my 289. I also have some Orange. Sublime green. Decisions decisions.

I was thinking it'd be nice pulling the lowboy but there isn't hardly any clearance between the rear of the frame and the lowboy, and this is the Revell kit so the 5th wheel is non adjustable, I'll probably have it yanking the flat bed which is being built, probably with a beam or pipe load, and leave the lowboy for the 289.

Anyway here it is.

W900_zpswyyczshd.jpg

iam getting ready to build a peterbilt 352 pacemaker with a stretch long enough for the stock tanks a locker and one more set of tanks the two more rear axles and its my first time stretching a truck any does and don'ts

plus a sleep on top of that i might add

Hrm the one who voted Orange, who woulda guessed. LOL.

Problem I'm having right now is trying to get the paint stripped. It is being EXTREMELY stubborn. A week in purple power. NOTHING. Repeated multiple times per day soakings in easy off, and it STILL doesn't want to come off. I don't want to sand it and lose the molded detail, I plan to cover the Kenworth emblems with foil before paint.

If it wasn't for the paint being stubborn I'd probably have it done by now.

Hrm the one who voted Orange, who woulda guessed. LOL.

Problem I'm having right now is trying to get the paint stripped. It is being EXTREMELY stubborn. A week in purple power. NOTHING. Repeated multiple times per day soakings in easy off, and it STILL doesn't want to come off. I don't want to sand it and lose the molded detail, I plan to cover the Kenworth emblems with foil before paint.

If it wasn't for the paint being stubborn I'd probably have it done by now.

Try some brake fluid, Man....Still might take a week, but it's been pretty good to me....

I was thinking along the same lines, Clayton.....You know, Chris, this model is cheap enough to just go out and get another one and use the cab out of it.....One of the reasons I have the general rule, not to build anything I don't have a duplicate of.....

I was thinking along the same lines, Clayton.....You know, Chris, this model is cheap enough to just go out and get another one and use the cab out of it.....One of the reasons I have the general rule, not to build anything I don't have a duplicate of.....

I have just that, a spare kit. The KW I just finished didn't have glass. So I bought another, just for glass and for extra parts. The rims and tires are traded off already too. But I still have the cab and hood.

I have just that, a spare kit. The KW I just finished didn't have glass. So I bought another, just for glass and for extra parts. The rims and tires are traded off already too. But I still have the cab and hood.

LOL...I used the rear suspension out of the KW I have for my T-600 model, as well...Everything else is still there...

Sorry, Chris...Didn't mean to use your thread for communications purposes....

Edited by kilrathy10

I use easy off and a old tooth brush. Once you put water to the easy off it will not work. So easy off and no water. Scrub lightly with a old tooth brush.Once your done then rince well and wash with soap and water. Use a good primer before you paint the colour you want.

As far as paint colours I would go with silver with a nice clear red over top and black strips.

Or as JT would do. Paint it ORANGE.

Good luck. B)

Ken.

Old toothbrush? Heck no I bought a 4 pack just for models and other stuff like that. I had the thing go for a week coating it with easy off every day. I've not had the brake fluid work on Testors lacquer before. Starting to tick me off. For crying out loud I've had a batch of chrome parts sitting in purple power for a week and it hasn't touched them. This is fresh out of the jug never been used before. Maybe it's just a buncha bad luck on my part who knows. Maybe something is telling me to put those two projects down and work on some of the others. At least that way I'd still be building rather than being stalled. LOL.

I tried every 30 minutes for awhile. This is how it sits right now. That nice white part on the fender was how I was hoping the whole thing would be but that's the only portion that worked ok. Incidently, these are the stack modifications so Ithought I'd doa mockup along with showing the poor state of the paint on the cab. No it wasn't old paint either. The paint wasn't even cured yet, at least not the most recent coat.

20150520_231007_zpsn3wr1ttr.jpg

20150520_231015_zpseoktlimj.jpg

Can't afford to get anything extra right now. My $$ That's saved in the bank is to pay the bills while I'mgone truck driver training(assuming I pass the physical).

It's just a setback that's all. Just an annoying and frustrating one. It's not like I don't have other projects hanging around though. I stocked up on kits and paint. I may eventually run out of glue though. LOL

Edited by fantacmet

Well just in case I have it swimming in brake fluid at the moment. Same batch(though filtered) I used to strip most of the enamel off my Pete 352 before I finished it with easy off. We'll see how that works out. If that fails too I'll let you know. I'd like to get some paint on it tomorrow if possible. Still haven't chosen the color but leaning towards purple. Plain purple and then using the stripe decals that come with the kit rather than the lightning express decals.

I really like the build you have going. To bad about the paint. Something I've done before is use a harbor freight air eraser with baking soda, cheap if you have one, and doesn't tear up the surface just time consuming. If it was me though and I was trying not to buy another kit I would take Clayton up on his offer. I have always thought that kit looked good in testors arctic blue with a metallic clear. (But I'm to blue what JT is to orange)

Good luck

Rich

I think I'm going to have to take him up as the brake fluid doesn't seem to be doing anything to it either.

Though I have narrowed the color choice. Krylon Shortcuts purple, or Chrysler Bright Sublime Green from back in the day, which would really make the thing POP!