Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

So, I finally managed to get some work done on my 1/48 Stearman PT-17! I finished the cockpit, and am now working on the engine & fuselage. Things are progressing well (despite help from the cats :angry: ), and I've only managed to break the tail-wheel off once :D . Quite an achievement for me.

Here are some pics of the cockpit assembly:

01%20Port%20Side_zpstdjmj7nz.jpg

02%20Starbord%20Side_zpsupswdo6j.jpg

03%20Cockpit%20Closeup_zpsjcnghlba.jpg

I still have no idea how I'm going to rig the wings, or what I'm going to use. Maybe I'll head to the LHS today to see what they have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got some more work done on the Stearman today. I have been stressing over what to use for rigging, and I think I've found a solution: 0.005" steel surgical suture. I did a couple of tests, and it really looks good. Spent some of today drilling holes in the tail, horizontal stabilizer, & fuselage for the rigging connection points. That might have been a complete waste of time as those tiny holes will probably get filled with paint. We'll just have to wait & see.

Also got the fuselage assembled. There is some seam work to do on the front cowling, but it shouldn't be all that difficult. Here is the fuselage as it stands right now:

2015-06-28%2017.56.21_zpsaqgs5uis.jpg

Here's an overhead view:

2015-06-28%2017.56.39_zpsu4vwdwtm.jpg

I did place the wings & engine on so I could get a better idea of how big the finished model will be. Hey! It's starting to look like an airplane! (And I still haven't broken the tail wheel off again. :) )

2015-06-28%2017.55.37_zpsyvmhqigc.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Making some headway on the Stearman.  Still really have no idea how I'm going to rig the aircraft.  I have some ideas, but more trepidation that solutions.  I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet & rig it.

Here is where it stands right now:

WIP on the prop.  I tried to used the Revell supplied decals, and that was a disaster.  I'm going to go with paint & hope for the best.  I'm hoping that the Hamilton Standard logos are salvageable so I can put them on the prop.

Looking more & more like an airplane! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Lee.

Assembly is pretty straight forward, and quite simple.  There really aren't all that many parts.  The only major issue that I've found so far is that there really aren't any location points for the rigging except for the tail section.  It's been causing me a lot of concern.  I like things to be correct.  There was a small fit issue with the cowling section between the engine & interior section.  And the wooden propeller decals don't fit at all.  Other than that, things have fit really well.

As for the colors, the blue is Testors Gloss Dark Blue (1211), which might be a little on the dark side; the yellow is Tamiya Camel Yellow (TS-34), the interior is Testors Model Masters Interior Green FS34151, and the prop is Tamiya Brown (X-9).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe.  I haven't started rigging yet so I don't know if the lengths will work or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, got the decals on the Stearman the other day, and they look pretty good.  Managed to break the tail wheel off (again)  |:(   Now, I have to finish the horizontal stabilizer & the rigging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, my 1/48 Revell Stearman PT-17 is finally done; or I should say it's as done as it's going to get.  It's on the shelf, and I'm moderately please with the results; but I am admitting defeat on the rigging.  Once again, a model had proven that my talent up to par with my imagination (or pipedreams, if you prefer).  The last few days have been very frustrating dealing with the rigging, so instead of seeing if the Stearman could fly (which I seriously doubt); I finished it off & placed in on the shelf until which time I have better skills.

So, here is my US Army Stearman.  Not exactly as I imagined it, but done none the less.

The kit provided decals didn't actually fit on the propeller, so I painted it Tamiya Gloss Brown with steal guards, and added the Hamilton-Standard logos from the kit decals.  Looks ok.

Oh, and I managed to break the tail wheel off at least four more times!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...