Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:12 Scale: Are There Any American Muscle Cars You Like To See Kitted

I have always enjoyed the larger 1:12 scale kits. Additionally, I like the greater opportunities for detailing this scale affords. Monogram/Revell has been the primary source for these larger scaled American muscle car kits over the past several years:

`69 Chevy Camaro SS 3 N1

’67 Chevy Vette Coupe 3 N 1

’57 Chevy Bel-Air 3 N 1

’65 Ford Shelby 350 GT

’65 Ford Mustang Fastback

2010 Ford Mustang Shelby GT

I truly love the 3- N 1 Monogram/Revell kits due the multiple build options they afford.

Otaki also kitted a ‘71 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Fastback that was a fair attempt at the subject matter but was lacking in a number respects.

Personally, I would like to see any of the following subjects kitted in 1: 12 scale.

Here are my top twelve are so picks:

’64 Dodge Polara (Little Old Lady From Pasadana)

’64 Ford Fairlane (Thunderbolts/TBolt)

’64 Pontiac GTO 389 Tri-Powered

’66 Chevy Chevelle SS 396

’68 American Motors Javelin SST 290

’69 American Motors Hurst Rambler SC/Scrambler

’69 Ford Mustang Mach1 428 “Cobra Jet” or "Boss"-302

’69 Olds Cutlass 442 Hurst/Olds 455

’69 Pontiac GTO 400 "Judge"

’69 Road Runner 440 (A-12)

’69 Dodge Charger R/T 440

’70 Chevy Chevelle SS 454

’70 ½ Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

’70 Plymouth Cuda AAR 440

'70 American Motors Javelin SST 360 (Mark Donohue)

Are there any American muscle cars you would like to see kitted in 1:12 scale.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Otaki/Doyusha actually made quite a few 1/12 kits, with the American subjects of the '71 Mach 1 Mustang, the '78 Corvette Stingray, and the '73 Firebird Trans Am.

The one that I would love to see, and I think would sell well, is a 1970 or 1971 'Cuda. I believe at this point, MOPAR is the only group that has yet to be represented at this scale.

Some of the other suggestions are very good candidates i.e.

'67-`68 Chevy Camaro SS/RS ( it would be VERY nice to FINALLY see the forgotten SS/RS version of the Camaro)

'67 Shelby Cobra 427 2n1 with road and SC versions

'70 Plymouth Duster 340

A '71 Chevy Vega (with a Baldwin Motion "Super Vega" build option) or a '67 Chevy Corvair (with Yenko stage one "Stinger" build option) would be a great kit as well.

Otaki/Doyusha actually made quite a few 1/12 kits, with the American subjects of the '71 Mach 1 Mustang, the '78 Corvette Stingray, and the '73 Firebird Trans Am.

The one that I would love to see, and I think would sell well, is a 1970 or 1971 'Cuda. I believe at this point, MOPAR is the only group that has yet to be represented at this scale.

Since you mentioned it I do believe your right; to my knowledge there have been no Mopar subjects kitted in 1:12 scale.

Yup- never any Mopars in 1/12 as far as I know. I built the Revell '69 Camaro Z-28 some time ago and really, really enjoyed it, but I think a '68 Charger or '70 Cuda, done along the same lines, would really send me. I would need a few of each! And for those two, there could be further variants: '69 R/T, 500 and Daytona for the Charger, Hemicuda, AAR, and '71 for the Cuda. I think there would more interest in these then Revell would initially suspect.

I wonder if a '68 Dart with a Grand Spaulding/ Mr. Norm build option would quench your thirst for a 1:12 scale Mopar kit.

In '68 Mr. Norman requested a special run of 50 Dart GTS 383 cars be converted by Dodge to make the GSS (for "Grand Spaulding Sport") 440 Dart. These cars were absolute street terrors. In the world of Mopar's the Mr. Norm 440 GSS Dart is the equivalent to Yenko's 427 Nova...IMHO. And if that doesn't satisfy your thirst there's always the '68 Dodge 426 Hemi Dart.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

I wonder if a '68 Dart with a Grand Spaulding/ Mr. Norm build option would quench your thirst for a 1:12 scale Mopar kit.

In '68 Mr. Norman requested a special run of 50 Dart GTS 383 cars be converted by Dodge to make the GSS (for "Grand Spaulding Sport") 440 Dart. These cars were absolute street terrors. In the world of Mopar's the Mr. Norm 440 GSS Dart is the equivalent to Yenko's 427 Nova...IMHO. And if that doesn't satisfy your thirst there's always the '68 Dodge 426 Hemi Dart.

We still need a 1967 Dart GT / GT+S (the latter being a GT with a 383) .

Gary Dyer was the guy whom converted the first Dart to big block power in late 1966 ; Dyer was Norm's lead wrench . It's too bad that Dodge didn't follow Dyer's formulæ for the factory deal : 330 hp 383 / Torqueflite / 3.55 gear 8 3/4 rear , all out of a 1966 Coronet donor . The only non-stock part was the exhaust ; underchassis headers were constructed at Iggy's Muffler .

As far as a 1968 Dart is concerned ; how about a GT / GTS with two engine and two transmission options : 340 and 383 / 440 ("generic" big block) , with 4 speed and Torqueflite as separate assemblies . Of course , period-correct "day 2" parts as options would have to be included ; fenderwell-exit headers (for both engines) , custom wheels ( Motor Wheels Spyders get my vote !) , and other livery from the era .

Due to the VASTLY increased cost and display space required for 1/12 scale, it is NEVER going to be as popular as 1/25-25th.

So a manufacturer is going to have to pick subjects for this scale VERY carefully for maximum possible appeal/sales or have a very expensive turd on its hands.

That said, I think the best bet would be a GOOD, all-new '65-'66 Mustang fastback. Lots of building options and variations there--'65 and '66 2+2s, plus GTs, plus Shelbys (including R and H versions). Aftermarket resin parts for hardtop and convertible conversions would also be popular, I'd suspect.