Model Cars Magazine Forum

1936 Ford Custom Small Update-2/15/2017

Luis Ayala

I was ready to paint the body but we had a rainy weekend so I continued the work on the interiors. I was really disappointed with the molded interior details so I decided to cut off the sides of the interior tub and make some flat panels where I can put some nice details later on.

One of the sides was thicker than the other as you can see below. Also the dashboard was not sitting correctly so with the new panels I can get it to fit correctly on its place.

post-581-0-86545300-1436755208_thumb.jpgpost-581-0-34781600-1436755221_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-77249700-1436755240_thumb.jpg

I was wondering what to do to make some custom details to the interior and I came up with the idea of building a folding console in the middle of the seat, so below you will see a few pics of the process and the almost finished piece.

First Part of the Process:

post-581-0-28091500-1436755304_thumb.jpgpost-581-0-55659800-1436755331_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-94853100-1436755338_thumb.jpgpost-581-0-77902800-1436755353_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-72187400-1436755366_thumb.jpg

Almost Finished Piece:

post-581-0-65838200-1436755378_thumb.jpgpost-581-0-25137400-1436755391_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-93199300-1436755404_thumb.jpgpost-581-0-73417500-1436755425_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-73106000-1436755449_thumb.jpg

I still have to make some minor adjustments and make the holes for the “refreshments”, but I am really happy with the results.

The tub also needs some sanding and filling but so far the fit is so much better especially for the side windows.

Hope you like it and thanks for looking!!!! B)

Edited by Luis Ayala

Mr. A.,

You have some amazing skills there Sir!!! Really like what you have done so far.

My only change would be a LaSalle grill.

Now comments.

1. Stance, How about picking up the front 1/16" and the rear 1/8"?

I realize you're going for an aired out bagged look, but things got limits.

2. Interior is excellent so far, if you hadn't already thought about it. How about adding

caps to the inner door and could wrap all the way around, would give proper bullnose

on the doors and a transition to a headliner elsewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

Time for a small update!!!  B)

The console is almost finish, I made the holes for the refreshments and added an additional piece of styrene to make it look also like an arm rest. I just need to fix some minor details and it will be ready for primer.

Ford-50.thumb.jpg.52def7262bb84d5e9c544c

I added some extra styrene to the under body to cover the exposed tail under the rumble seat and make it look more realistic. Below you can see the difference on the before and after pics.

Ford-48.thumb.jpg.9d1a6ca7928a015f061d5fFord-49.thumb.jpg.bf648c707d540cdc548f60

I am working on the interior panels for the doors and rumble seat so soon I will post more progress.

Hope you like it and thanks for looking!!!

Mr. A.,

You have some amazing skills there Sir!!! Really like what you have done so far.

My only change would be a LaSalle grill.

Now comments.

1. Stance, How about picking up the front 1/16" and the rear 1/8"?

I realize you're going for an aired out bagged look, but things got limits.

2. Interior is excellent so far, if you hadn't already thought about it. How about adding

caps to the inner door and could wrap all the way around, would give proper bullnose

on the doors and a transition to a headliner elsewhere.

Hi Skip!!!

Thank you for your comments, I am glad that you like the work so far!!!

For the Stance, the look I am looking is closer to what you see in the mock up pics. When the right rims are in it will sit just a little bit higher.

For the interiors I am still working on the upholstery panels so hopefully I will post more progress soon.

:D

Edited by Luis Ayala

Hi Luis,

That's some really fine prep work you're doing!   The setup for the refreshments looks very cool also, and usable!

As you know I took a look at my 36 kit and man there are some serious trimming issues to deal with to get tit looking as smooth as yours.  Respect.

Michael

• 5 months later...

Hello Everyone and Happy New Year!!!!:lol:

Long time after the last update so here’s a small one…

Just finished getting primer over all parts:

Ford-50.thumb.png.871e092703f31fc2974e7a

Now is time to install the brakes, still need some adjustments but pretty much close to the final position.

Ford-51.thumb.jpg.dc5bcc9a08a88a393b2501

A quick black wash to sharpen the rotor details, still need some additional cleanup but look much better…I will paint the Calipers later when the final assembly is closer.

Ford-52.thumb.jpg.1dbcded135015dab879e44Ford-53.thumb.jpg.f410c6c6477c8d9d395cd8

Since this paint is very thin, it will reveal any sanding scratches, so I took some time to double check, fix them, applied a few more primer coats to the body and sand it down to 800 grit.

After all these years I just got infected again with the “started too many projects syndrome” so that’s one of the reasons it took me so long to post again.

I will post my new projects as soon as I get this one painted.

Hope you like it and thanks for looking!!!

Edited by Luis Ayala

:blink:Hey!   I had not seen this!  

Welcome back!  Good to see we are coming out of hibernation :)

Looking good so far. May suggest a color?  how about...... BLUE?  :P

Thanks,

Hi Ismael!!! 

I am glad you like the work so far!!!

Did yoy mentioned "Blue"???? :blink:

:D 

Great work, when builders like yourself post in such detail it helps the rest of us aim a bit higher, so Thanks.

What colour is the motor? I have the earlier kit with the convertible option, and want the engine in factory colours.

Thanks Paul!!!

I really appreciate it. Since I am building a custom version, the color I picked is “Teal Envy” a $0.99 nail lacquer from “Kleancolor”.

If you are looking for a factory look, up to 1941 it was dark green, but Dupli-Color DE1617 on spray can is an acceptable shade.

Hope this helps!!!

post-581-0-46350600-1433041612_thumb.jpg

Luis - Just went back and reread this from the start.  From the "slotted  openings" on the hood sides I'm assuming that you're going with a more modern "Pre-Billet Everything" Street Rod.  Depending  on your intended time period aimed at there are a couple more ways you could go on those sides.   Over the years I've seen both of these used.

1.  Form a backer on each of the slots which tapers open to form a ducted air inlet at either the front or rear of the slot.

(Think NASA Ducts to the shapes in your hood sides.)

2.   Easier than the first,  use thin spacers to create stand offs on the backside of the hood.  Then use sheet to form the 

Shape of the slots, slightly larger than the slot.  Would give the appearance of vented hood.

Lou

Edited by Skip

Well something must have got lost in quotation!

Luis - I distinctly remember adding that I really like what you have done with this kit.  You've massaged a ton of little stuff out of the model, your hard work shows.  I'm highly impressed with te panel fit and finish from top to bottom, it's first rate modern Street Rod quality.

Bill didn't mention another popular '50's / '60's treatment to the top inserts.  Many Hot Rodders / Customizers upholstered the insert with the same pattern as the interior, seats and door panels. I've seen rollsand pleats, diamond tuck to name a few.  Most later Street Rods had the top filled.  Whatever way you go I'm sure it's going to look good!