Model Cars Magazine Forum

1995 Ward Burton Pontiac W.i.p. Pics

MarkJ

If any of you have built the Monogram Nascar Kenny Wallace kit you might have noticed that the nose is way too short and the rear bumper area on the real car was more squared off and slab sided at the rear bumper then the model. I'm trying to make my 1995 Ward Burton car look a little more like the real car he drove. Below is what I have so far. I used a scale picture of the 1995 Petty car as a guide. I know the picture is not perfectly square of the Bobby Hamilton car ( I think he drove it that year but not sure?) , but I made allowances for it. Sorry if you already saw this thread in the "on the workbench" section. Nobody shows much interest in Nascar builds there.

95wardpontwippics003.jpg

95wardpontwippics006.jpg

95wardpontwippics007.jpg

95wardpontwippics013.jpg

wip95wardpontrtft2.jpg

The 22 car in the 2 photo's below is the car I'm trying to do.

wardpontltsidefront5x7.jpg

ward95grandprix.jpg

Here is the Monogram kit done without nose modifications. Whoever did it, did a very good job.

Picture_0040-vi.jpg

You could save yourself a lot of trouble by purchasing the SMH resin body! The rear side windows are slightly differently shaped..You could probably leave that alone on a black car, but on a light color car it would need to be addressed!

Billy, What fun would that be? Your saying I should just throw away the work I've done so far and purchase the resin body that I have heard is not all that accurate itself. I know the B-pillars on the real car are more straight up and down and thicker but that should not be a problem. I have this excellent picture of the Petty Enterprise's 95 Grand Prix that will help me make my one off creation close enough for me. Thanks for the reply.

wardpontmodelsize.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I shot the first coat of primer and then found out that the sides were not as flat as the real car or as they call it "slabsided" so I added that to it after the first primer coat. I have alot of detail sanding and more primer coats to come but you can get a good idea how its coming along.

ltftslabside.jpg

ltrrslabside.jpg

rtftslabside.jpg

rtrrslabsides.jpg

primerfront.jpg

primerrear.jpg

Looks amazing, I got to see the real car at Bill Davis Racing a few days ago and I immediatly thought of your build when I saw that car. You nailed it great work, I can't wait to see it with some paint on it.

Tom, I saw that car also back in 2000 at their shop but I only took one picture of it. I wasn't building models back then and didn't think to take lot of pictures of it. Do you remember by any chance what color the interior was? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the white primer sanding guide and after I block sanded it off with 2400 paper. Since then I have reprimed it and I'm finally ready to paint. Should I use Tamiya or Duplicolor Black? Thanks for any suggestions.

whiteprimersandingguide.jpg

aftersandingoffwhite.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the model after the first coats of color were put on it and before it was sanded for applying clear. Since then I have wet sanded it with 2400 and applied the clear. I hope to have it polished out next weekend.

ltftfp.jpg

ltsidefp.jpg

rearfp.jpg

rtftfp.jpg

rtsidefp.jpg

• 1 month later...

This is looking great Mark, anymore progress on it? I have the earlier Heinz 57 version (identical body shape by the look of it) that I just started... the decals are shot so i'll go with a custom version instead. Would like to see how this turned out.

• 1 month later...
This is looking great Mark, anymore progress on it? I have the earlier Heinz 57 version (identical body shape by the look of it) that I just started... the decals are shot so i'll go with a custom version instead. Would like to see how this turned out.

Its been very slow going because I had to scratchbuild the 1/4 glasses and I also had an accident with some super glue that ended up on the roof and trunk. So who knows when this one will be finished?