Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Soapy Sales Challenger Funny car ......

Ouch.

I've got an original. Luckily I'm in it pretty reasonable.

When the challenger funnycar kit came out a few years ago. I wondered if they would change it to reflect either this kit or the Color Me Gone car.

Good to have it back either way .

• 3 months later...

I certainly hope that they went over the molds and made a lot of corrections. I built the Model King Challenger a couple of years ago and truthfully, I spent more time fixing it than building it.

It had deep ejector craters, worst mismatched seams I've encountered in 50 years and fitment problems I can't begin to list.

I'll buy one to check it out. If it's fixed, I'll buy 5 more. If not.........

Yes...

Not sure I follow.

This kit shares nothing in common with the original issue MPC 1970 Challenger kit annual ,,,and no the body is not the same .

As a side note,,,,, the body in the Soapy Sales kit is not the same as the one in the Original Color Me Gone kit either

Not sure I follow.

This kit shares nothing in common with the original issue MPC 1970 Challenger kit annual ,,,and no the body is not the same .

As a side note,,,,, the body in the Soapy Sales kit is not the same as the one in the Original Color Me Gone kit either

Same body...panel lines wiped, door handles and scripts removed.  Most of the original funny car kits were done after that year's annual stock kit but before next year's promo model, so they used stock bodies.  The Soapy Sales kit was issued after the '74 annual...with no '75 Challenger promo or annual kit on the way (and apparently no desire to reissue the stock '74), they were free to slick up the body for the funny car.  No different, really, than AMT converting several Sixties annuals into Modified Stockers, or turning the '63 Chevy II wagon into the Boss Nova...

hey, Joe, if we didn't have to fix and fiddle with everything ,,,we be lost with nothing to moan about.....we love moaning,,,,:lol:...the ace.....:)

I'm more of a whiner than a moaner, but sometimes that's the only thing people will listen to. What a shame they can't get some models right before release. I know of a few companies that do. Well, mostly right. We still have to have something to criticize, yes?

.....most true model car people find fault somewhere in most kits.....the catch is to forget it, fix it if possible, but better yet, enjoy the fact you have it at all.......I find the older I get, the less faults I look for in kits......I save that fault energy for people...lol...the ace....:lol:

.....most true model car people find fault somewhere in most kits.....the catch is to forgetsomething I don't like on a model...I fix it, fix it if possible, but better yet, enjoy the fact you have it at all.......I find the older I get, the less faults I look for in kits......I save that fault energy for people...lol...the ace....:lol:

Amen,weather it be model or human forgive and nothing in this world is perfect.if there is something I don't like..I fix it.I wantthe soap sales version.

I'm more of a whiner than a moaner, but sometimes that's the only thing people will listen to. What a shame they can't get some models right before release. I know of a few companies that do. Well, mostly right. We still have to have something to criticize, yes?

LOL....I agree as long as we whine and moan but don't take it serious. ..then no big deal.we can laugh at it...laughing is better then crying. ...Chris 

• 4 months later...

....couldn't agree more, Karl......everything white, all the time, every kit, please.........the ace..........:huh:

Would be better if the whole kit was molded in white.

Definitely agree.. 

i agree as well, i was disappointed when i found the chassis and chute was molded in black for this kit.

This is one of those kits I am REALLY happy to see return. I remember building one when they were new ,,many years ago.

I built one many years ago so its unlikely I'll do another one box stock . But who knows. I do hope the re-issues decal sheets has the stripe going all the way over the rear deck of the car like the 1/1 did.

Sadly I have a mint original issue still factory sealed inside and this will kill its value. But so be it. I want a few of them regardless. I bought a few of the Model King issues a few years ago . And one cant have to many AA/FC kits on the shelf .

Mine. built this one back in the late nineties from a messed with unbuilt I picked up off Ebay. . Bought my unbuilt back in the early 2000's also off Ebay.

20160114_092359.jpg

20160114_092413.jpg

20160114_092555.jpg

20160114_092434.jpg

Edited by gtx6970