Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dome and courtesy lights

This is probably another one of those "Duh, why didn't I think of that?" moments.

What you'll need...chrome tape (auto parts store), labels (Office Max etc.), hole punches (I used to ones from Harbor Freight, but they aren't as crisp as the leather punches from Tandy).

Tut1.jpg

Start by cutting the chrome tape using the larger punch. Size will vary depending on the size of the actual light, since dome lights are typically larger than courtesy lights.

Tut2.jpg

I'm a great fan of double-sided masking tape, the type you get at a golf-supply house for installing new grips. Here's a strip of tape with the chrome dots installed; do NOT remove the backing from the dots! This allows just a little more control than trying to hold the chrome dot while installing the white dot.

Tut3.jpg

Carefully separate the white dot from it's backing and place the dot at the tip of an Xacto blade; this makes centering much easier.

Tut4.jpg

After all is said and done, you'll have something like this. Here's where the Tandy leather punches would yield sharper cuts and better results. The double-sided tape is nice; when you pull the completed assembly off the masking tape, the backing for the chrome stays on the tape so you don't need a magnifying glass to separate the chrome tape from the backing.

Tut5.jpg

I installed the courtesy lights (not included) on the '48 Ford Woody I'm working on (circled in yellow).

Tut6.jpg

If you want a thicker "lens" double-up the labels before you punch them out.

As an aside, you can also use the chrome tape to make the dots for keys (door locks, trunk locks, etc.) but you might want to consider using dull coat, since the tape is brighter than BMF.