Model Cars Magazine Forum

GM is off to a good start in ruining the Camaro again

We drove a rental 2014 Camaro last year. It had a sunroof. I'm 5'6" if I stand at attention, and I did not have enough headroom in that car. My 5'2" wife couldn't see past the hood. My grandchildren were almost comfortable in the back seat. No way I would buy any car that's too small for me. And, we Americans keep getting bigger. WTF? My '73 Challenger with it's more spartan interior was more comfortable.

Everybody's different, obviously. I'm not a big guy either, at 5' 10", and I fit fine into the Camaro. Heck, I even had a Miata as a DD for awhile.

For those of us that couldn't get to the reveal in Detroit, here's a nice video of the car in motion as it's being intro'd.

I really DO like the looks of the restyle.........being a MOPAR guy though, I ain't gettin' rid of my Challenger anytime soon though! :P

Any guesses as to when we'll see glue kits of this?? I'd sure like one!

My opinion, these cars look fat and overweight. They are fat and overweight.

Harry P got it right, that was really a nice car back then, the predecessor even better. What happened?

These cars nowadays are heavy sleds that are just not worth the cash in my opinion. Cheap interiors too.

Come on America, get with the program! Get at least a little bit modern then sell lots of cars and let American economy grow. I really don't think it costs a lot more to make an American car attractive to foreign markets, but the interiors have to be upgraded. More efficient motors too.

America, we can do it. Just do it.

Michael

Looks OK, still Camaro-y in a fat, bloated Mustang-y kind of way, with a whole passel of unrelated lines, creases and details running every which way...which seems to be the case with most designs these days.

Lost what purity there was in the original 'retro' design, obviously just changing stuff kinda randomly to make it seem "newer, better".

Yawn.

Could they possibly make the side windows smaller? I don't like the style of new cars with the high window sills. I like to roll the windows down and rest my arm on the window sill. I'm tall and the armrests are way to low. And finally the new Mustangs (the lightest and still too heavy), Challengers and Camaros are all too big and heavy. The interior size is OK, but the rest is too big, 2 tons+ for a "sports car", sheesh!

As soon as the government and insurance companies quit wanting safer cars in side collisions we will start getting lower door tops and larger window openings, but you know as soon as that happens people will start chopping tops again, and we'll be right back where we are. Glad you have a good enough climate to be able to drive around with your windows down, we aren't so lucky, either it's cold and wet, or you can cook your lunch on the flat surfaces of your car.

The other reason for the strange proportions and the inability for your not being able to rest your arm on the window is even though every drivers training course from high school through any performance driving school tells us that the safest position for your hands when driving is both hands on the wheel, people keep forgetting this so they design the performance cars to make it uncomfortable to drive in any other way, lol.

Both the Cruze and Versa for the past four years are about the same for safety ratings, both were named top safety pick in 2013 according to IIHS , the Versa scores lower in one category compared to the Cruze, but they are same in all the rest.

Want to bet that area where they aren't as good is on side collisions, and I've noticed that since KIA nabbed the top designer from Audi and released their new body style for the Optima in '10 that almost every manufacturer is getting closer to the same silhouette every year since. Thankfully KIA has announced a totally different design in 2016, then the other guys can battle for the five year old design.

Edited by horsepower

Sorry fellas, but I just have to laugh at all the concern over airbags, crash performance, and side-impact protection. This is my idea of a daily driver...(had one for years)...

OCAuto-5-3.jpg

and this will be back on the road under my tired old butt shortly.

4df56420-6509-4bea-a3c4-0f136832314d_zps

What side-impact protection? Airbags? For windbags and old bags.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Call it a redesign or update, I'm still not likin' it too much (I'll take that 70-something silver one please) The interior looks much better, but like someone said, the materials have felt kind of cheap. The one thing that I did notice first was the grille - looks like they pinched it off a Toyota.

The '69 Z-28 still does it for me. One-year-only styling, and an obvious inspiration for all the "retro" BS knockoffs. I'll take an original anything over a copy/modded anything any day. Put a hot LS, real brakes and suspension in this thing...and though the '68 is admittedly cleaner, the uniqueness of the '69 appeals to me.

1969_chevrolet_camaro-pic-15494.jpeg

camp-0902-06-2008-best-chevy-camaros-69-

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The '69 Z-28 still does it for me. One-year-only styling, and an obvious inspiration for all the "retro" BS knockoffs. I'll take an original anything over a copy/modded anything any day. Put a hot LS, real brakes and suspension in this thing...and though the '68 is admittedly cleaner, the uniqueness of the '69 appeals to me.

1969_chevrolet_camaro-pic-15494.jpeg

camp-0902-06-2008-best-chevy-camaros-69-

Both of these cars are beautiful and deserving of the attention they attract. The second one though.......................now that's an aggressive looking car. emotion-21.gif

Edited by mustang1989

I recently came across a 1969 Firebird for sale at a gas station on my route to work. It was for sale so I stopped to take a look. What a stunning car. Cars like this just jump out at you when you haven't seen one in person for a while. It was like seeing it new again.

I hate all the LED garbage and all the tech BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH cluttering the interior. Leave the tech junk in the Impala. Also I hate that they're putting 4 cylinders in Camaros and Mustangs, leave the four cylinders to Subaru cheese heads like me. A Mustang or Camaro without a V8 is like a eunuch.

I hate all the LED garbage and all the tech BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH cluttering the interior. Leave the tech junk in the Impala. Also I hate that they're putting 4 cylinders in Camaros and Mustangs, leave the four cylinders to Subaru cheese heads like me. A Mustang or Camaro without a V8 is like a eunuch.

You must know much about the 4 cylinder being faster than both v6 versions and with mild tunes keep up with the v8s.

It's not like 4 and 6 cylinder engines are a new thing in these cars, the base models have come with a 4 or 6 cylinder from the beginning. The 80s Mustangs with turbo 4s are not exactly wimpy, the SVO was the fastest Mustang available in the mid 80s.

It's not like 4 and 6 cylinder engines are a new thing in these cars, the base models have come with a 4 or 6 cylinder from the beginning. The 80s Mustangs with turbo 4s are not exactly wimpy, the SVO was the fastest Mustang available in the mid 80s.

If a 4 cylinder Camaro ever came through the dealer for service I never saw it. They've had 3.6 liter V6's until recently. I do remember those SVO Mustangs ...man those were lil' smokers back then for sure!!

Edited by mustang1989