Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why Do You Build The Scale(s) You Build?

Automotive- 1/24 and /25, due to deep-rooted tradition, plus space availability, and cost. And, my parts box is all in the same scales... why change something that has worked for so many years? WWII and some later aircraft in 1/48, due to the ability to see parts and add some details. Armor- well, except for one 1/35 PzKpfw IV, it's 1/72, for ease of display and price. And I wouldn't be able to deal with some 600+ parts ( :o:blink: ) in the current larger scale kits. Ships- 1/720 is fine, as I have absolutely no place to display a 1/350 scale Nimitz-class carrier. Sci fi- it depends on the subject. I do have the 1/72 C-57D from "Forbidden Planet". It's very cool, but it's huge. Same with the 1/24 Huey. Oy.

I build 1:25/1:24 for the same reason I built small block Chevys, back in my hot rodding days. I have a ton of parts for them & the aftermarket caters to them. Plus, they take up less space, in my display case, than larger scale. I do have a couple 1:20 F1 cars, a couple 1:16/1:12 scale models, that were given to me, & a Pocher Fiat, I inherited from my dad.

When I was a kid I built 1/24 and 1/25 because I was into funny cars, dragsters, street rods, hot rods, etc... typical kid's interests, and those subjects were mainly available in 1/24 or 1/25.

Now I've lost interest in those subjects and am into the classics and brass-era cars pretty much exclusively. So now I'm all about 1/16 and 1/8 scale. After building so many 1/8 Pochers, even 1/16 seems small to me... I can't imagine ever going back to an even smaller scale than that! How some of you guys get so much detail into your 1/24 and 1/25 scale models is amazing to me.

I do autos in 1/25-24 for the same reasons everyone else has mentioned. I like 1/48 for aircraft. I did not know there was a 1/25 Huey. It looks like it is OOP. I bet it is huge, but it would sure be cool done up as a Medevac and posed with other emergency vehicles! Speaking of huge, I do have the 1/72 B 52, but it will have to wait until I can figure out a place to put it.

I do autos in 1/25-24 for the same reasons everyone else has mentioned. I like 1/48 for aircraft. I did not know there was a 1/25 Huey. It looks like it is OOP. I bet it is huge, but it would sure be cool done up as a Medevac and posed with other emergency vehicles! Speaking of huge, I do have the 1/72 B 52, but it will have to wait until I can figure out a place to put it.

I got that Huey back around 1980-83. I think it might have been released at least once since then, tied in with the Rambo movies. It is a UH-1B gunship. I gotta take a serious look at that one again; maybe move it up on the "to build" list.

The only aircraft that I've built were both 1/24th scale helicopters. The Rambo Huey as an air ambulance and a Hobbycraft Hughes D500 chopper as a news/traffic copter. I read somewhere that the huey was going to be repopped again.

As I said before I'm a scale bigot.

Carl

I only care to build cars in 1:25 as this is the way I started early 60's. I've restarted doing these after decades and I like it.

Ships are a different scale and a different world. I've been building wooden historic ship models for decades, some are 16" long, some are 48" long. The model is what interests me.

I feel nowadays since I'm a bit older, that if I build a car in 1:16 or larger, the thing has to have all the nuts and bolts, and these should be good looking and in proper scale. I've spent years building old sailing ships, and they are fairly correct in scale and detailing. Rigging these old tubs has become so tedious that I'd rather build scratch cars in 1:25. I want them to be fairly correct in scale, with nice features done in metal to enhance the styrene kits. I have no interest in building perfect 1:25 scale model cars.

I do appreciate and I love to view well done models in any scale.

Michael

1/24-1/25 CARS, as i have heaps of spares to play with , and the room factor, they fit on a shelf nicely, and in fish tanks, to keep the dust off them although i have a couple of 1/12, scale chevs, but that will do.