Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vel's Parnelli Jones F5000 Al Unser Car

Art Laski

Art.......nice Fab / Brass work.........your getting to be a Pro at this......I can see how hard this piece must have been to make.......tiny.

Thanks, Johnny! It was definitely harder than it looks, at least in brass, for me...

Art... Awesome Brass work buddy. Looking good. I gotta agree with John, you are becoming a Pro. Looking forward to your next update.

Well, Chris, that's why I continued to finish it. I almost threw in the towel and went to styrene, but I knew if I finished it in brass, I'd be better for it.

Great car you picked to build Art. I picked up a HiroBoy 917LK and was curious how you found working with their white metal chassis parts. I'm considering just doing it in brass. It's a big kit (1/12th) and it will certainly weigh quite a bit when done. You're dong a really nice job constructing on this one too. When might you pick your midget back up btw? Cheers, Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you guys!

Spent a bunch more time getting this thing mocked up and everything fitting. The kit provides some styrene rod for the rear radius rods, but I elected to use Piano wire instead.

I tried to mock up the front end as is, but it just wasn't working. The parts were just moving around too much, so I pinned the A-arms with wire.

I also pinned the front wings.

The kit doesn't come with side plates for the rear wing, just a sheet of styrene. I printed a pic that has the correct shape for version I'm building and the pic just happened to print almost the exact same size. So I cut out the end plate and used it as a template. I glued the paper patter and two sheets of styrene together and cut them out together. Then I pinned them as well and attached them permanently.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, I'm starting to get some color on this thing. Because the motor, trans, and manifold are all molded as one piece, I'm using Bob Downie's silly putty trick to do the masking after I hit the block with Chevy Engine Red.

Here's one of my reference images.

I'm still making progress on this one, a little at a time. Actually, I have a lot of time in the body prep, but not a lot to show there yet. But here are some random photos of some work. Drilled out some openings for seat belts. 33460916313242-vi.jpg

I also drilled a hole on the body in an inconspicuous place and inserted a wooden dowel to hold it for painting. 29462130769212-vi.jpg24462130764147-vi.jpg

The only calipers I had that might work for the rear are not quite the right shape, so I reshaped them a little. This one is still a little rough in this shot.

31462130771915-vi.jpg

Edited by Art Laski

I stole the U-joints for the half shafts from a Corvette rear end. 25462130645545-vi.jpg23462130643095-vi.jpg

I polished up the white metal oil tank that came with the kit and dipped it in Future to try to keep it from tarnishing over time. I also put some bungs in it so I can add oil lines later.

40462130840223-vi.jpg

47462130847356-vi.jpg

Edited by Art Laski

Hey Art, like the subject build you picked here as you know.  Looks good and I've got to try the putty painting trick sometime as your results were spectacular.  And I DID notice the little NACA ducts you put into your wing spill plates. Nice touch!  Cheers, Tim

Hey Art, like the subject build you picked here as you know.  Looks good and I've got to try the putty painting trick sometime as your results were spectacular.  And I DID notice the little NACA ducts you put into your wing spill plates. Nice touch!  Cheers, Tim

Whoa, Tim! Is that a subtle hint? Because, honestly, I didn't notice the naca ducts. But now that you pointed them out, they stick out like a sore thumb! I will absolutely be adding them! It just shows what a good eye for detail you have.

Art, my ol' eyes are giving out on me.  I was not being sarcastic or being a knucklehead.  I swear when I looked at your pics I "saw" the ducts in the spill pates.  If they weren't there, I apologize for any misinterpretation of my post.  I've got too much respect for you skills to do something like that.  Cheers, Tim

Art

lookin' fantastic

I really like the F5000 cars...saw them at the Historic Reunion at Laguna Seca, there must've been 40 of them there

I don't recall if this car was there or not

keep up the good work, sir...catch ya later

give John a hug, OK

I saw that you went there on the post on your F5000 thread and have to admit, I was jealous! That must have been awesome. Thanks for looking, Curt!

Art, my ol' eyes are giving out on me.  I was not being sarcastic or being a knucklehead.  I swear when I looked at your pics I "saw" the ducts in the spill pates.  If they weren't there, I apologize for any misinterpretation of my post.  I've got too much respect for you skills to do something like that.  Cheers, Tim

Tim,

Definitely never thought you were a knucklehead! But no apology necessary and I am grateful you mentioned it. I now see it on every photo and I think it would be a neat detail to add. 

Art

I saw that you went there on the post on your F5000 thread and have to admit, I was jealous! That must have been awesome. Thanks for looking, Curt!

Hey Art, Next year you and Mrs Art Laski are welcome to stay at our house and join my wife and I for a day or two at the Monterey Historic Reunion races.

The F5000 cars are there every year and are one of the largest groups there.

We only live 40 minutes from Laguna Seca B)