Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vel's Parnelli Jones F5000 Al Unser Car

Art Laski

Thanks, guys!

Curt, Patrick Galleguillos and I are going to put our F5000 cars together at the NNL West and welcome others to join us. So maybe you can bring your Tony A-Z car, and any others you may have built and share some table space with us!

Here are some pics of the wheels and tires. 

I thought that the rear wheel had a little too large of a lip on it, so I cut it down on the lathe, and drilled out the center.

I made some wheel nuts with some Pro Tech fittings and aluminum tube.

I didn't take any pictures of this part, but I made new front tires. The F5000 cars have a pretty low-profile tire, and this kit represents that, but they are maybe just a little too small. So I took an Indy car tire, molded it, then shaved it down and cast two halves that I mated together with some styrene spacers to widen it. Then I made a new mold and made the two fronts. Here are the completed tires and wheels.

Thanks, guys!

Curt, Patrick Galleguillos and I are going to put our F5000 cars together at the NNL West and welcome others to join us. So maybe you can bring your Tony A-Z car, and any others you may have built and share some table space with us!

Art, the Tony A-Z car won't make it to the NNL West.

I gave the car to Tony in August at the historic auto races at Laguna Seca.

Those look great Art. Did the tire decals come in the kit?

Brad, thank you. No, the tire decals didn't come in the kit. Actually, no decals came with the kit. I got the body decals from inycals.net as well as the front tire lettering. The rear tire logos needed to be a little bit larger than come with the Indycals Indy Car tire logos, but I happened to have some Slixx decals that fit the bill perfectly.

Edited by Art Laski

Art, the Tony A-Z car won't make it to the NNL West.

I gave the car to Tony in August at the historic auto races at Laguna Seca.

Oh, that's right. I remember your post where you presented that to him.

What a great gesture, Curt. I understand Tony is not doing so well these days... :(