Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Revell NASCAR kits

martinfan5

So... 1:24 scale ("the wrong scale" for quite a few annoyingly-outspoken types, never mind all the old Monogram NASCAR kits were 1:24 and nobody complained), snap kit, no engine, and pre-printed graphics. Uh oh. Better put on a NASCAR spec helmet and fire suit, because I have a feeling this might get ugly... :unsure:

That being said, I'm up for a couple, and I'm not even a NASCAR fan. I actually like how the Fusion "stock" cars look, and I can wait for the decal guys to come out with some different graphics. I'd love to have a Toyota or two as well, just because the presence of Toyota in NASCAR irked so many hillrods... which is always a good thing if you ask me. :rolleyes:

Revell says they will be partially pre-painted. No engine. I'm guessing that means that the main sponsor markings will be printed directly onto the body like the previous "ProFinish" Nascar kits.

Nope, just the stripe will be printed. Sponsor markings will be stickers....

Stripe ?, I think I am missing something here

That very well could be the reason why the Fords are the first ones being done, I do believe that is why it took awhile for Revell to get the C7 kit done is that Revell and GM were not getting along and did not want to work with Revell, so the rumors said.

Could GM and Revell not getting along due marketing? i know its a rumor..

So... 1:24 scale ("the wrong scale" for quite a few annoyingly-outspoken types, never mind all the old Monogram NASCAR kits were 1:24 and nobody complained), snap kit, no engine, and pre-printed graphics. Uh oh. Better put on a NASCAR spec helmet and fire suit, because I have a feeling this might get ugly... :unsure:

That being said, I'm up for a couple, and I'm not even a NASCAR fan. I actually like how the Fusion "stock" cars look, and I can wait for the decal guys to come out with some different graphics. I'd love to have a Toyota or two as well, just because the presence of Toyota in NASCAR irked so many hillrods... which is always a good thing if you ask me. :rolleyes:

This might/could be a good thing. Perhaps one of the resin companies will produce a NASCAR-spec Ford engine. I know that when the Revell Intrepids were released, the engines were inaccurate, so Ross Gibson did the right thing and made them in resin (I still need to get one...)

Glad to see that R-M is doing NASCAR subjects again, regardless of the level of detail. Hopefully they will be "about" the level of detail that the previously released Impalas were.

I'll definitely purchase several and use them for slot car bodies and perhaps a shelf model or 2 (that was a "Blue Deuce" reference, son.). I see Pattos has several 2015 decos for both drivers.

With some filling and filing on the front and rear fascias, the Fusion could be an Impala or a Camry... the common template Cup cars are very, very similar.

The roof/hood/truck lid all have to fit the common template, its going to take a lot more than just filling and filing on the front and rear fascias , the sides have different shapes as well.

The roof/hood/truck lid all have to fit the common template, its going to take a lot more than just filling and filing on the front and rear fascias , the sides have different shapes as well.

That may be true, but once they're decaled up, who is really going to notice?

That may be true, but once they're decaled up, who is really going to notice?

Scratch that... I took a second look at some cars and there is some significant difference. Maybe one could work on a Ford to look like an Impala, but the Toyo is really different.

Scratch that... I took a second look at some cars and there is some significant difference. Maybe one could work on a Ford to look like an Impala, but the Toyo is really different.

It all comes down to how "accurate" you want it to be ;)

don't matter what is produced, as any true modeler will attest, we'll take them, modify them to any extent we want and call the build done. whether it's out of the box, mild or wild....we all take things as they are and make do. here we are being given a chance to decide and hopefully the model buying public will respond in kind. whether it's stock, drag, oval, road course or out of this world....we are modelers first and foremost...

for the negatives voices? keep listening to them negative voices in your head....while your on the fence deciding which voice to listen to, I'm going to be buying me a few new nascar models and changing them to fit my tastes!

They don't use the Impala anymore, the Chevy is a SS and the SS has a distinct cove on the sides behind the front wheel wich the Fusion doesn't have.

The differences don't look huge, other than the front and rears. The Toyo hood would take some effort - do they use that body? The current Gibbs car look pretty boxy compared to that pic...

If all that is offered are Ford Fusions, and someone is a Hendrick fan... we're model builders, right? :)

If all that is offered are Ford Fusions, and someone is a Hendrick fan... we're model builders, right? :)

Or there is always the option of getting the Chevy SS resin body from Mike's Decals and using it on the new NASCAR kit chassis.

• 2 months later...

As with any model that was ever produced or thought of or dreamed of....true modelers will take what they have at hand and do something with it. Whether it's a snap tite or a Tamiya, doesn't make any difference....we will make them into what we want, be it a current cup car or a fictional one. Some on here said that it's not a Chevy/Toyo so I ain't buyin it....so be it.....leaves more for the rest of us. But!!  Like it was also said, you don't buy, don't bitch when they cancel all of them and your stuck with another shoulda - coulda - woulda situation.

Me?  I'm going to buy a few of them...i'll probably pull out the older chassis that I have and modify them to fit....maybe.....maybe i'll hang on to them and not touch them for a while...then if the "I don't / I won't" guys start crying then they can't get one, i'll sell them....maybe....depends on how much they cry.

Face it guys....we build models for fun, not money...otherwise I wouldn't be sitting behind this computer day after day inputting code for somebody else to get a paycheck and make a living so that I can afford to buy them!

Give it a break...bottom line? don't like them...don't buy them....

oh....and just to give ya all a little thought input....imagine....Chase Elliot driving a current Ford with Dad Bill's old Coors sponsor?  I've met and raced with Bill and Chase when he was growing up....couldn't ask for a nicer family and a nicer young man.....wish him luck this season to defend his championship and going forward next year....

Edited by Mikey56