Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Revell NASCAR kits

martinfan5

• 2 weeks later...

If you are waiting on a Chevy or Toyota.......my advise is BUY 2 each, or more, of the Fords.......even if you hate Fords. it's been stated by someone in the know....these fail....NASCAR modern kits are done forever. I myself will buy a case each and build each Ford from the Daytona 500 2015.

I'll do my part!

me too Dave

Edited by RAMBENNA

Seen where a Chevy SS will be out next year if all goes well with Fords. So maybe a Toyota will follow especially if Kyle wins the championship after missing the first 11 races.

If only it worked that way, but Kyle winning or not winning has no bearing on if Revell will do a Toyota body.   I am all for them doing a Toyota, but only after they do the Fords and Chevys, reason being,  there is a lot of hate still for Toyota being in NASCAR(or just in general because Japanese) and the future of NASCAR kits are riding on the success of the Ford/Chevy kits,  I would rather them go first,  we those, there is a chance, with Toyota, I dont think there would be, 95% of the popular drivers are in Fords and Chevys, so it only makes sense to start with those. 

What does make sense is doing a Chevy and Toyota ,  they are already half way there.

Everyone buy some!!! Otherwise NASCAR kits will be gone FOREVER. If these two fords don't sell, no model maker will ever consider doing anything NASCAR ever again. EVER EVER.

If I bought a NASCAR kit everytime somebody declared that we must or risk never ever ever having NASCAR kits again ever ever I'd have a whole pile of NASCAR kits stickered for drivers I care nothing about.

If these don't sell somebody will float a NASCAR kit again in a couple years to test the waters again. No need to panic.

I'll buy one, and do an Almirola maybe. Not going to buy cases of kits I don't want in vain hope that they'll do a Chevy next. Revell is not stupid. They know that Ford vs Chevy is polarizing, as is any NASCAR driver vs any other. They know there are Logano fanboys who will buy cases of these, and there are Logano haters who'll never consider it no matter what. Revell either already has an SS and Camary in the pipe, or these were commissioned and Revell has no vested interest.

Edited by kalbert

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If the Fords go over well, they have 2 Hendrick cars waiting in the wings for 2016, JJ and JR if I remember correctly. They were listed on the dealer side of the Revell website, but I see they are gone now, so likely just waiting to see how well the first 2 do.

Just as an FYI, Revell has a three year deal with NASCAR,  the SS kits are coming.

ELK GROVE VILLAGE, Ill., Oct. 13, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Leading scale plastic model kit manufacturer Revell Inc. today announced a three-year licensing agreement with NASCAR Team Properties™ for production of 1:24 scale snap and glue-style plastic model kits for NASCAR Sprint Cup Series™ star drivers' cars.

In December, Revell will release models of Brad Keselowski's No. 2 Ford Fusion and Joey Logano's No. 22 Ford Fusion of Team Penske. Kits for Jimmie Johnson's No. 48 Chevrolet SS and Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s No. 88 Chevrolet SS of Hendrick Motorsports will follow in early 2016.

Those four kits will feature Revell's new SnapTite® Max™ model design for modelers ages 8 and up, each with 25-30 pre-decorated snap-together pieces that simplify the model building experience in order to engage a new generation in the hobby.

Paint-and-glue model kits of four more cars fielded by NASCAR® teams will be added to the collection in 2016 and 2017, providing model enthusiasts and NASCAR fans even more accuracy through full engine parts, a higher level of interior and chassis detail and waterslide decals to fully capture the essence of your favorite race car.

All kits in the series represent the first plastic models to accurately replicate the technical height, width and design standards of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Gen-6 body style introduced in 2013.

The agreement with NASCAR Team Properties revives Revell's relationship with the industry, which dates back to the 1980s. Revell has produced more than 100 NASCAR-based models to date and is currently the only manufacturer of NASCAR plastic model kits.

"NASCAR has a massive television and mobile audience each race weekend, cross-generational appeal with Nielsen Scarborough reporting one in three NASCAR fans have children under the age of 18, and eye catching car designs and graphics. All of these factors make the sport a natural fit for modeling," said Lou Aguilera, Vice President and General Manager, Revell. "This licensing agreement gives us the opportunity to offer new NASCAR Officially Licensed options for young and old fans alike."

Revell's NASCAR Officially Licensed SnapTite Max model kits will retail for $24.95 and be available through hobby shops and leading retail stores.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/revell-inks-new-3-year-licensing-agreement-with-nascar-team-properties-for-scale-models-300158145.html

Well that clears that up,thanks!..

.but no mention of any of the Toyotas?

Per Revell everything depends on sales......want a Toyota??? BUY......don'y say you are gonna pass on the Chevy and Ford then complain no Toyota......just sayin........first two go well........NASCAR  wants to keep Toy happy......what do you think  will happen?

If they have a 3 yr deal, then they likely have a # of kits that they are to replicate for that 3yr period.

I know as a retailer they e-mailed me about a year ago to ask my opinion about Nascar kits. I told them that depending on their agreement, it wouldn't hurt to re-issue a couple prominent kits from the past to tide people over until they could tool up new ones. Likely see the first 4 as snap max kits, and then who knows how many glue kits, apparently 2 at least, but which ones? One would hope that they wouldn't just be a repeat of the snap max kits and that they would be something different. Gibbs Toyotas would be great, but who knows. Possible another Ford and Chevy SS....I could see a Danika Patrick one. Like her or not, she is one of the more popular drivers. Another Ford.....Petty Motorsports maybe?

Toyota would be great, but will depend on licensing. Maybe Toyota didn't want to be part of it.

AS far as tire markings....no real surprise there, since Revell hasn't had name brand tires for what? 10yrs?

$25 for a snapper.  Yikes.  

Well........this is not a 'one piece chassis, 3 part interior and a body' kit

These snappers will have multi part chassis, engine and pretty complete roll cage. 

True.....some parts may be 'grouped' and some simplified.......but the label Revell has started 'Snap Tite MAX' should tell you they are not just aimed at kids.  If these are as good as promised I'll build these over the 'glue' version.......stock cars are just bodies after 3 or 4 builds.

Well........this is not a 'one piece chassis, 3 part interior and a body' kit

These snappers will have multi part chassis, engine and pretty complete roll cage. 

True.....some parts may be 'grouped' and some simplified.......but the label Revell has started 'Snap Tite MAX' should tell you they are not just aimed at kids.  If these are as good as promised I'll build these over the 'glue' version.......stock cars are just bodies after 3 or 4 builds.

And not to mention the licensing fees .

And 80% of it is all new tooling......and unlike a 29 Ford kit......multi versions down the road are a lot tougher. (ie spreading tooling cost over 10 years)

Depends on how you look it at,  from this point forward, if Revell wanted to keep up, all the changes would be to the bodies, as everything else (chassis) would be the same.   I dont think NASCAR is going to be making any drastic changes to the chassis anytime soon.  

But its hard to compare a one off sole purpose race car ,   they can spread the tooling cost over a longer period if they stay committed to it, and of course that all comes down the licensing agreement being extended too.