Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Revell NASCAR kits

martinfan5

Thanks to Casey for finding the info and saying yes to doing this thread.

NASCAR modelers, START... YOUR....ENGINES, we are about to take the green flag with new NASCAR model kits, Revell is starting with the Ford Fusion, and will be featuring Brad's Blue Duce, and Joey Lagano's Shell Pennzoil Ford, the kits will be 1/24th scale, and that is all we know right now. Could a Chevy SS be coming...........................

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFKHV&P=SM
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFKHW&P=SM

Edited by martinfan5

These will be interesting to see....I suspect they'll be pre-decorated semi-snap kits as they've produced before (Tower's prices reinforce this notion to me). But if they're well done shelf models and they follow up "promptly" with Chevys and Toyotas they may succeed.

Cup Racing still popular with modelers?

Edited by mike 51

The Blue Deuce......guess that's a kid safe Miller car. It will be interesting to see how they do these. I just hope they don't flood the market like the did previously. Maybe they'll follow it up with new drag racers....

Nah.....Cinderella.

These will be interesting to see....I suspect they'll be pre-decorated semi-snap kits as they've produced before (Tower's prices reinforce this notion to me). But if they're well done shelf models and they follow up "promptly" with Chevys and Toyotas they may succeed.

Cup Racing still popular with modelers?

I think they will do ok at least initially, just because they'll be new and unique. I'm a little surprised they are 1/24 scale, hoping they are more than a make play type kit, but as that price implies I believe you are correct that it will be a snapper.

Penske cars is probably one of the best kits licensing fees wise since they don't carry a lot of contingency stickers, just the ones that actually contribute to the team, so the decals on the cars won't be as many as other teams have and all licensing fees should be already worked out with team Penske.

There are a couple of other teams that run their program like this Petty Enterprises comes to mind, they actually didn't get to run the Busch Clash one year because of Petty's refusal to put alc contingency decals on his race cars, kind of a little bit of hypocrisy to me, someone who won't run an alcoholic beverage decal because of what it does to people, but raises tobacco and had no problems promoting Winston when they were the series sponsor. But that's just my thoughts.

I'll wait until next year when you can buy a whole lot for a $ 1.99.

I think they would have better luck with 60's and 70's cars. Would love to see new and reissues for the open wheel cars. With open wheel cars gaining momentum again (almost dead for 20 years, thank you Tony George) I think that may pay more dividends.

Don't get me wrong, I love all types racing but just can't seem to get through a NASCAR race without dosing off the last couple of years. Must be old age.

Lots of negative thoughts considering we have nothing but a drawing to go on.

One insider predicted this......I sadly agreed.

If it's not a '1967 2 door blandmobile with limited slip door handle that I want a model' of' reaction......it would be negative.

I see it as a sign of a healthy hobby trying to widen the customer base and make more of what the die hards want.

Too many negative thoughts.......

kellysheroes2t1oddball.jpg

We don't even know any details about the kits- at least wait until there is some more info or some pictures. As a Team Penske fan, I will probably get both. Even if they're relative simple snap-kits, that doesn't mean they won't have any good points, nor does it mean I won't enjoy a non-complex build, for a change (keep in mind the past two Revell snap-Mustang kits). And, like anything else- if you don't like the subject, don't buy the kit.

Along the NASCAR line, if you're ever in the Charlotte, NC area for a few days, try to spend some time at the race team shops. They are the most impeccably clean automotive shops that one can imagine. And, you never know what-or-who-you might see.

We don't even know any details about the kits- at least wait until there is some more info or some pictures.

Thanks to Brett, we do now:

nasrve.jpg.png

I think this is the first of the SnapTite MAX series of kits, so I'm guessing that means something slightly more detailed/complicated than Revell's standard SnapTite designation. It does appear the Logano car has some type of interior detail looking at the drawing/image above, so my guess is there's a promo style chassis plate upon which you add a seat, roll cage, dashboard and steering wheel, and little else. With no side windows, they can't leave the interior empty.

I for one am excited to have these. If they sell well, it opens the doors to other options. I do hope they'll release a Toyota and a Chevy. As for the choice of drivers, Team Penske makes a lot of sense. It allows two cars from one mold without having to negotiate with two ownerships. It also limits having to choose which two teams from a three or four car team. Plus this is a first model for each driver with younger demographics than Jeff Gordon or Matt Kenseth.

Maybe they'll do a Target exclusive car for sale in Target stores. Can't see that in their competitor stores.