Model Cars Magazine Forum

1973 Alpine A110 1600SC

Plastheniker

Hi,

In the early sevenies the Alpine A110 was my unfulfilled dream, and still it is one of my all-time favourites. It has everything that a real sports car should have IMO: small, light, powerful, challenging to drive - briefly, the A110 was a brute street-legal racer for the sturdy masochist.

Alas, modern sports cars have lost most of it.smileys-winken-671504_zpsaf6227db.gif

The A110 was built from 1963 to 1977. Since Renault took over the independent Alpine company by and by during the seventies the later A110 versions were sold as Alpine Renaults. Tamiya's kit replicates a late A110 with a double wishbone rear suspension and a 1.6 litre 140 HP carburettor engine (really sufficient output for less than 800kg).

IMO Tamiya's reputation of making perfect kits is not always justfied, but here it is. As far as I remember there were no issues and the result replicates the 1:1 Alpine perfectly.

My old instruction sheet says that the kit was released in 1997. I suppose as a true Alpine fan I built my model not much later.

Of course my model had to be blue metallic since this was Alpine's racing colour.

comp_Alpine%2000168_zpsg5usvas4.jpgcomp_Alpine%2000268_zpsizlt0bdq.jpgcomp_Alpine%2000368_zpsqjdj974h.jpgcomp_Alpine%2000468_zpsg4rtrhrh.jpgcomp_Alpine%2000568_zpsynvcx4lv.jpgcomp_Alpine%2000668_zps4azeyhnw.jpgcomp_Alpine%2000768_zpskwksvztp.jpgcomp_Alpine%2000868_zpsmjfv0du8.jpgcomp_Alpine%2000968_zpshsavjes1.jpg

Nice work! I have always wanted this kit but just can't bring myself to pay 35-40 USD for one.

That is beautiful. My only issue with the kit is they did not chrome the bumpers.

Does it come with any chrome parts at all?

Edited by oldscool

Thanks for the comments!

That is beautiful. My only issue with the kit is they did not chrome the bumpers.

Nice work! I have always wanted this kit but just can't bring myself to pay 35-40 USD for one.

Does it come with any chrome parts at all?

Dale, Gerald, I have reviewed my old instruction sheet. Dale is right, there was only a very small chromed sprue consisting of 3 miirors, 4 headlight and auxiliary lamp reflectors, 2 (rather big) wipers and 2 vents on top of the rear fenders. The four bumpers were not chromed, but BMFing them was not that difficult because their shape is very simple.