Model Cars Magazine Forum

Turbo tutorial

Turbos it is! Here for all to see! So, what do you all do if you need/want a Turbo thats not made, either in plastic, or resin? WELL heres what I do!

Notice, the spool of solder? This is the Turbo Turbine, and Blower parts, there are 4 of them. 2 per turbo (remember this is a TWIN-Turbo set-up). The brass "Turbo center", VERY important for a set up like this keeps EVERYTHING on the same horizon to the engine as long as your exhaust headers are horizontally even. Side to side mounting is VERY important too, it must be long enough, cut it a bit "long" trim when all together.....

Notice the solder is bent tightly around that brass pipe? This is how ALL of this will be made! The brass is left "long" and will be trimmed a bit and then trimmed again, later as you'll see! NOT glued at this point. A bit more has to be done first!

Notice the '57 300's engine setting here, the brass has been trimmed BUT not "short" it will need trimmed to length one more time! ALWAYS allow for mistakes!
You see 4 of the solder made parts, 2 Exhaust turbines, 2 turbo blowers....

Now for some details. Turbo "flange" ring material.....THIN solder!

This shows HOW I made those really little Turbo "flange" rings to fill the void on the set-up.
More to follow!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

So, now to continue.....I got one side "started" BUT be careful, you must leave some on one end or the other specially when doing tins side-by-side...

Notice where the Turbo "Flange" ring is in the picture, its labeled, but, it also hides where the solder exhaust turbine meets the turbo center.....These rings? need to have 2 PER turbine intake or power, so in the center, it will have 2 side-by-side.

Seen here is the 2 rings BETWEEN or pinched in from the 2 turbine parts, this completes ONLY ONE SIDE!

For posing sake, here is the left-hand side done, awaiting the right hand side.... Right-hand side to come! Stay tuned!
Again, more to follow!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

So now off to the right-hand side of the turbo set up......

Notice, the WHOLE right-hand side set-up is LOOSE! You HAVE TO, get the distance just right on the outer most Exhaust Turbine.....Once that much is set and glued in place, you can go on to assemble it with super glue (CA)....

NOW I'm sure all of you who don't know are wondering where does the exhaust go? (IT POWERS the turbine, which spins the turbine to blow clean air into the engine! BUT the exhaust is just that, it comes out the CENTER of the Exhaust Turbine:

Yet again, more to follow!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

THEN for those people, who are learning......The air intake is in the middle! CENTER of BOTH turbo's! See:

Now this center air intake? It can have a short pipe topped with a K&N air filter, OR can go to something that comes in from the hood, the grill, you name it, FRESH AIR IS BEST! NOT "heated" air from inside the engine compartment!
These can be made ANYWAY you need them too, I just made them fit a car that was lowered, to the ground a bit, AND no holes in the hood! For yet another monthly contest! Hope you enjoy!
Shopping List:
> > 1/8th inch thick Solder.
> > .062 inch "Thin" solder.
> > 1/8th inch Brass OR Aluminum pipe "Tubing" -STRAIGHT (NOT curved stuff or bent).
> > 5/32nd inch Aluminum Tubing (For turbo connection "Collars".
> > Choice of favorite CA type glue.

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

Fantastic tutorial. I LOVE using Soldier for headers and exhaust. Now for turbos ;-).

I'd like to add one thing to your fantastic tutorial. You recommended lead based soldier and I totally agree with this. For anyone that does not know they types of Soldier available you can buy an Acid Core soldier. This Soldier has an acid center to it to aid in soldiering. I have seen builders remove the acid core center and use it, I have also personally super glued the ends closed to seal the acid in. One or the other MUST be done or over time the acid will creep out and start to corrode and leave a mess of your project.

To avoid this just buy Lead based Soldier as 426-Hemi has recommended.

I just wanted to make everyone is aware of the Acid core soldier so no one has a bad experience and wreck their project.

Edited by Brent

Fantastic tutorial. I LOVE using Soldier for headers and exhaust. Now for turbos ;-).

I'd like to add one thing to your fantastic tutorial. You recommended lead based soldier and I totally agree with this. For anyone that does not know they types of Soldier available you can buy an Acid Core soldier. This Soldier has an acid center to it to aid in soldiering. I have seen builders remove the acid core center and use it, I have also personally super glued the ends closed to seal the acid in. One or the other MUST be done or over time the acid will creep out and start to corrode and leave a mess of your project.

To avoid this just buy Lead based Soldier as 426-Hemi has recommended.

I just wanted to make everyone is aware of the Acid core soldier so no one has a bad experience and wreck their project.

Brent,

I'm glad you pointed that out..... I totally forgot ALL about the acid core stuff.......... probably being the stuff I use is so old, its not even funny! THANK YOU for that added bit to my tutorial!

Everyone else, thanks for the compliments, I got a few others to add for other tutorials so. stay tuned!

This tutorial you see the engine in the pictures? That motor, those turbo's, and all the piping is in my "Under Glass" '57 Chrysler 300C...... I did this tutorial at the same time I did that car! This is my second go around with twin turbos of my own making...... The other set is on my '65 Dodge A100 "Doomz Day" Monster truck!

EDIT:

I forgot to mention, guys, I'm so sorry, I totally spaced making this tutorial........... not realizing you all had replied! :rolleyes:

The "Father & Son" build has me all wound up in that build.......

Edited by 426-Hemi

tutorial is perfect! i always wondered, how you guys make turbos, i'm too stupid. thanks for sharing

-No one is stupid, you just have to get yourself "comfortable" with doing things and sadly, a lot of times, thinking outside the box! (I myself, seem to be doing that more and more)

Give it a shot, just remember when you bend the solder around the brass pipe, to pull it as tight as you can without "kinking" it up..... The tighter the fit the better looking it will be in the end!