Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Beaumont convertible

Can-Con

Hi Steve

its nice to see this model again. I remember watching you build it way back when. Always liked the Beaumonts but never attempted a conversion after following your build.

Back in the day I drove a Canadian Valiant that had a Valiant front clip and a Dart rear clip. Darts were not available in Canada then. I think it looked better that either of the American cars.

Carl

Beautiful build and conversion. You said you cast some of the parts, have any left overs? A buddy of mine, his father in law has a 69 hard top, I have been half heartedly looking for conversion parts to make a replica of his car. Any help woud be appreciated, thanks.

Tom, I'm afraid I don't have any left and the mold is too old to use any more. This build is about 10 years old. Sorry.

The front end came with the MCG '69 Chevelle/Beaumont set though so there's at least that.

Very nice indeed. Great color, too. Did you mention what paint you used?

It's a mix of House of Color candys. red and tangerine [with a bit of root beer IIRC] shot over a gold base.

The interior is good old Testors mixed from flat and gloss white with a drop or two of wood to give it a slight beige tint.

Really cool build of an unusal subject :) I have always thought that it is a bit strange that you canadians had different models too the americans. You are neighbours and it should be possible to make the same cars in different plants in each country. I guess there must be some politics behind it.

It's a mix of House of Color candys. red and tangerine [with a bit of root beer IIRC] shot over a gold base.

The interior is good old Testors mixed from flat and gloss white with a drop or two of wood to give it a slight beige tint.

Thanks for the details. All that sounds a bit above my skill level, but you obviously had great results with it...that color is gorgeous! B)

Very cool build.

What technique did you use for the blue window shade across the top? It looks perfect!

I just airbrushed it on with a dark blue acrylic then cleared the whole thing with some Tamiya clear tinted with a drop or two of clear blue and green. Then I polished it out like I would any other paintjob.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments on this old girl. :)

Tom, I'm afraid I don't have any left and the mold is too old to use any more. This build is about 10 years old. Sorry.

The front end came with the MCG '69 Chevelle/Beaumont set though so there's at least that.

thanks, i figured it was along shot, but thought i would ask. and it looks as though the MCG option is no longer available either.

• 2 years later...

Gorgeous SD-396 drop-top !

Casey posted this link in my post regarding Beaumonts and Acadians  ------ VERY NICE !! 

I'm toying with the idea of building a phantom 1968 Beaumont El Camino ; nice to know that the MCG 1969 Chevelle etch includes Beaumont pieces !

I've been hoping to see an actual application of the apparently mythical mcg parts. Don't know how I missed this the first time but better late than never. Really nice work on the whole package, Steve. Been gathering parts with the same project in mind as John.

mike

That is one beautiful car!

I remember the first time I saw one at a show in the lat 70's, I thought it was a customized Chevelle! 

I owned a 69 Chevelle at the time so it was pretty cool comparing the two!

Nice mix of Chevy and Ponco parts to make a great looking car!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. 

I would have replied sooner but I'm just now getting caught up after being out of my house for 2 weeks because of the flooding.

I also have another one in the works that I drag out and work on for a while around the 1st of every July. 

154 5403

IMG 1021