Model Cars Magazine Forum

Current MCM

Excuse me. I feel that this mag just doesn't care. And I am going to say so. If you don't like it, don't read what I say. There is NO reason for this magazine to be so late darn near every issue. Where did I say I expected it a certain day every month? It is nearly June and the April issue is nowhere near our hands. So, look at what I said. I said if I do not have it by the last of May, then I am cancelling. You gotta learn to read. I didnt say I want it a certain day of every month.

Edited by midnightprowler

The subscription text I read says they publish 9 times a year, if you do not receive your 9 issues of the magazine in a one year period then I would agree you have good reason to cancel your subscription.

I think the guys that work hard on this magazine do their best and I'm just happy when I receive my copy in the mail.

Would you consider helping them to get the issues out quicker?

It depends on what the actual problem is. When SAE was published by hobby people, not the professional outfit that does it now, it was never late like MCM is. Never. I have subscribed since June of 92 when Gary ran it. Never late, never a damaged issue. Still the same, so using the excuse that we are amateurs doesnt cut it.Maybe Harry can chime in, he is far up the food chain of the magazine. I don't know why it is like this. Month be darned, the fact is, the magazine is not out on any well timed schedule, it just seems to be whenever we get it out, and I have no liking for that at all.

Maybe Harry can chime in, he is far up the food chain of the magazine

Ok, here's the straight story, no BS. You guys deserve to know the truth.

I have been fighting Gregg on the "lateness" problem for literally years. It bugs me more than it bugs you guys that the magazine is always late, believe me. It's been a thorn in my side for years.

Here's the reality of the situation: I can't upload the files for a given issue until I have laid out all the pages. Even one missing page or feature holds up the entire issue, because obviously we can't go to press if even one page is missing. And almost always, I'm waiting on one or two missing articles or features.

So what's up with that? Why am I always waiting for missing pieces? Well, the fact is that almost always the things I'm waiting for are the parts of the magazine that Gregg writes, like the Resin feature... or the New Products feature... or the Editor's Column. And the reason those parts are late is that Gregg has some pretty severe and debilitating medical issues. It's no secret that he has had several surgeries on his back (even his avatar is an X-ray of his spine and all the screws in there!), and he is limited in what he can do physically. Even sitting up at the computer for any length of time is a challenge for him, and there are many days when he just can't work, period. It's not that he doesn't care about the production schedule... it's his physical limitations that are the problem. Gregg loves the magazine, it's his baby. And he is very grateful for the support you guys have shown, both for the magazine and for this forum. But things being what they are, Gregg will always have his medical issues to deal with, and they affect the production schedule of the magazine.

Every subscriber is promised nine issues per year, and every subscriber will get nine issues per year. Maybe not by the date on the cover, but they will get nine issues as promised.

So yeah, MCM won't appear in your mailbox on the same exact schedule that SA does. But if you're willing to be patient and wait for that next issue, you will get it. And when the year is over, you'll have all nine as promised.

As far as the damage, that's something I can't explain. Obviously the magazines are in perfect condition when they leave the printer, so the damage occurs somewhere along the way to your house. How or why, I don't know.

Good explanation Harry, and it makes sense, but maybe Gregg should consider hand writing out the articles, then his wife can put it into the computer, etc. Something to speed up the process a bit. Believe me, I understand back issues and pain. I am sorry I get to ornery about lateness. It is a sore spot with me, far beyond the magazine. Lateness in every day life, people being late to work, school, appts, etc. I feel lateness is worse than absenteeism. To me it just shows a I don't give a rip attitude, and flippancy. I understand the mag leaves the printer in good shape, I am not blaming MCM or GBP, but I just do not understand how ALL my other magazines get here in perfect shape and MCM never does. That tells me it is NOT my po, but somewhere else.

I don't really mind the lateness of the magazine as it becomes a surprise when it shows up in the mail since I never know when to expect it. Also, I'm just glad these guys create a pretty good issue each time with valuable information.

Scale Auto always seems to disappoint me anymore.

Would it be fair to point out that even though the magazine is never really "on time", there appears to be time to create a "slot cars" magazine in the meantime?

I mean, I feel for Gregg and his physical condition but this mag is run like a rich boys toy, not a professional publication. it seems to be put out whenever it is convenient and its contents seem to be often dictated by what the editor has a current interest in, not necessarily what the subscriber base is interested in. And though it is probably an incorrect conclusion, it seems to be heavily weighted toward "reviewing" products that are sent to it for free and that can be used in the editors pet projects. Some pro publications are run like that but not many and not for long.

if getting the mag out on a predictable basis were in fact the goal, I don't see how starting another magazine, especially one centering on a total niche market, is going to help. kind of like Germany starting a war with Russia on the eastern front while simultaneously fighting off the USA, England and its allies. it was the kiss of death.

I think Gregg is a great guy and he is undoubtedly sacrificing a lot to keep the magazine going, but I often get the distinct feeling that no one really cares for the subscriber base...and it is the subscriber numbers that keep the ad revenue flowing in most professional publications. but decisions need to be made that the mag WILL get out based on some schedule ("9 issues a year" isn't really a "schedule" in my eyes) and that means that impediments to that schedule have to be removed or replaced.

just my two cents from a reader, subscriber (former) and supporter for the past 10 or more years. and I think this mag is heads above that other one, generally speaking and particularly speaking from a "rarely see that covered in other mags" perspective.

jb

I have been a member of Flying Aces Club several times over the last 25 or so years. Waiting a while longer for MCM is NOTHING compared to what used to happen with that magazine. But, like MCM, it was soooo worth it when it arrived. I just got another issue of FAC today, as a matter of fact! That's why I haven't been on the 'net much today. MCM does have great stuff, and it does seem to arrive the right number of times each year. Maybe, they should just swap out some of the dates on the cover to reflect when they are actually publishing. I don't get too hung up about it. I'm just glad to see the new issue when it comes out. I hope Gregg can keep this thing going, because it's a pretty special magazine.

if it is consistently late every month, is it really late at all?

change the release month to two months ahead and nobody will ever know the difference.

The thing is, is that there is NO consistency with releasing it. Mostly late, but sometimes on time. It is like "we get it out when we get it out". You could get rid of the monthly designation, and it STILL does not come out on any consistent basis.

i don't wish chronic pain/ health issues on anyone.

aren't there gizmos allowing dictation to be typed? my butt doctor had a microphone and as he talked with me the words appeared on his computer screen/ my health file. also, if some of the editorial duties could be assigned, the time/ deadline element could be taken out of the equation. then editorials could be introduced into the mix as time & energy permitted.

It's not so much the editorial, it's the New Products column. Gregg has the industry contacts, and he wants to be the one to personally review the products and not have anyone else do it. So that column gets done on Gregg's schedule... that being what his medical situation allows for on any given day. Plus Gregg handles the advertising and ad placement month to month.

It's true that theoretically Gregg could delegate that to others, but that would take him out of the production process altogether, and he doesn't want to be a bystander on his own magazine. He wants to be an active part of the process. That being the case, as long as he has his medical issues, the magazine will be produced on a somewhat irregular basis. There's just no way around that. Ultimately it's Gregg's magazine, and he makes the final decisions.

My two cents. Be grateful we have the magazine and the forum. If the biggest problem in your life is whether the magazine is late then count your blessings that you have such a good life. I've suffered sciatica problems and number of years ago and can't image what Gregg has endured. If you can't accept the magazine is late then do what you feel you need to do but don't contribute to making things harder for Gregg.

Its not siad often enough thank you Gregg for a great forum and magazine.