Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 71 Ford Ranger Pickup XLT Completed 9-5-15

Yes, If it ever stops raining in Northeast Ohio. It's been too humid to paint. I did manage to sand and re-prime all the body parts last weekend. I also decided to use the tailgate decal so I shaved the "FORD" lettering off of it. I'm hoping for break this weekend but so far the forecast is for more rain ....

-Steve

I am having the same issue being that northeast ohio is my home too... I want to paint my trucks but cant.

Why the real trucks had raised letters stamped in the steel?

I think he's talking about the XLT woodgrain tailgate insert. Makes sense to shave the letters before applying the woodgrain decal. Be interesting to see if a guy could foil the letters and shave them off in one piece. They could then be applied on top of the decal...

Hopefully someone will come up with a photoetch set for these

mike

Edited by mk11

I think he's talking about the XLT woodgrain tailgate insert. Makes sense to shave the letters before applying the woodgrain decal. Be interesting to see if a guy could foil the letters and shave them off in one piece. They could then be applied on top of the decal...

Hopefully someone will come up with a photoetch set for these

Might make sense to do a kitchen foil embossing of the letters, fill the back with resin, sand flat and cut them out. Apply the wood grain decal and glue the letter castings in place. Just my thoughts...

David

mike

Edited by hooknladderno1

Why the real trucks had raised letters stamped in the steel?

I'm following the suggestion by Chuck Most from his post. He applied the decal over the raised letters and mentioned he would have shave them off next time. This way those who are interested can compare the results between the models. Here's Chuck's photo from his build up.

031_zpswlcu83e4.jpg

I'm following the suggestion by Chuck Most from his post. He applied the decal over the raised letters and mentioned he would have shave them off next time. This way those who are interested can compare the results between the models. Here's Chuck's photo from his build up.

031_zpswlcu83e4.jpg

I would just sand the letters down about 3/4 but not all the way to make it easier for the decal to conform with some Microsol and still have a 3D appearance.

Just for the record- the decal lays down beautifully over the letters. That's not the problem. The problem is a common one with decal graphics... that is, the lettering on the decal isn't quite the same size/spacing as the lettering on the surface it covers.

If you're really good with such things- you could foil the tailgate panel, then paint over the foil in a drybrush wood grain pattern, then scrape the paint off the lettering with a toothpick. I'd planned to at least try that on this one, but then I got the production kit with the decal... so... there went that idea (thankfully, as I'm not great at painting wood patterns). :lol:

So is the tail gate available without the XLT/Ranger wood grain panel? I never really cared for the big trim or the wood grain anyway.

As for the real truck, the wood grain panel has separate chrome letters that have pins that go through the "chrome" (aluminum) panel.

A quick update while I'm waiting for a dry day to paint the body, I decided to do some of the interior detailing.

078-vi.jpg

The wood grain insert was painted by hand using a base of dark brown paint and some black dry brushing. Not perfect but close enough for me. There was no need to foil the rear edge of the door trim panel as it's completely hidden by the seat back. I'm going to move on to the dash details if it doesn't clear up soon !

-Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got this puppy painted ..... first the weather wouldn't cooperate, then my airbrush started spitting whenever I hit the trigger. I ended up ordering a seal kit from my hobby shop and bought a back up airbrush while I was waiting.

The colors are Pure White over Winter Blue. I sprayed the inside of the cab along with the bed underside Blue first, then I masked off all the inside and underside areas. I pre-foiled the hood nameplate and shot all the exterior body parts White. I let that dry a couple of days, then I masked off all the areas that needed to stay White. I then sprayed all the Blue areas. The hood was taped in place for the last two coats to be sure of a perfect metallic color match.

083-vi.jpg

To expose the foiled nameplate I dipped a toothpick in thinner and gently rubbed the paint off of them working very slowly one letter at a time. I think the results are better then trying to foil nameplates cleanly after paint and way cheaper then photo etched scripts.

085-vi.jpg

The lacquer paint raised the tail gate lettering I had sanded off, so I re-sanded it flat again once the paint dried. The tailgate decal will cover it up no problem.

087-vi.jpg

So far I'm very pleased with how it coming out. My only disappointed is I missed two small sink marks on the roof from the visor pins. Since the roof is white it's hardly noticeable, but I'll be sure to catch it on my next buildup.

In a couple of day I will add the foil trim to the body parts and the clear coat everything with my favorite PPG DCA 468 Clear Lacquer. I'll let that dry about a week and then it will be ready for polishing and final assembly.

-Steve

Edited by SteveG

• 1 month later...

Almost to the home stretch,  here's the chassis only needing the wheel covers to finish.

109-vi.jpg

The interior is completed and ready to install ....

106-vi.jpg

105-vi.jpg

Here's the body parts foiled and clear coated ........

098-vi.jpg 

After polishing and with the glass installed.  I had to repaint the roof as I polished through the first time .....

114-vi.jpg

And finally the bed is completed other then the side trim and painting the reflectors.

115-vi.jpg

Next time I'll start on the final assembly.

-Steve

Edited by SteveG