Model Cars Magazine Forum

Decent manifold for Amt's new stacks

Thinking about doing a 29 ford street sod with a sbc and a Hilborn or similar top end. anyone know where I might find anything along those lines. I have the new Amt stacks would like to use them on something. I'm not opposed to parting out a kit for an entire engine or just some good stuff to start off with. Thanks Guys!

Seems I recall the old AMT '55 Chebby Nomad had an acceptable SBC / Hilborn manifold, too.

The Revell Anglia / Thames kits have separate Hilborn-style manifolds with port spacing that would work for the SBC, but would require a separate valley cover and water neck.

There are also several resin versions out there...these are from Speed City... ChevyHilbornSmallBlock.jpg

chevy%20injection%20manifold.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Double Dragster and '55 Nomad were my first thoughts, too. But what's the diameter of the new AMT stacks? It seems to me that the stacks for BBCs, Hemis, and so forth are fatter than the ones for SBC. :unsure:

the '69 chevelle, '65 wildcat, '57 fairlane from amt had injection options iirc

Remember different port spacing ;)

Port spacing AND head-spacing and angle between heads. Fords (except Y-blocks) have evenly spaced intake ports...plus different water / thermostat and distributor locations...and whether the engine normally uses a separate valley cover and water crossover (like Buick)...

It makes a difference, if you want a non-dorky look to your engine, anyway.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I got some stacks but those I have are from Lindberg, off the Little Red Wagon kits. I have several of those kits! I do however like the idea of having these "twin-stacks" PER cylinder on a Hemi tho...... Preferably the 426 Hemi! BUT I'd take something like that on a 392..... :wub:

I got some stacks but those I have are from Lindberg, off the Little Red Wagon kits. I have several of those kits! I do however like the idea of having these "twin-stacks" PER cylinder on a Hemi tho...... Preferably the 426 Hemi! BUT I'd take something like that on a 392..... :wub:

What you're seeing are not twin-stacks per cylinder. Unlike the Mopar Hemi engines, the smallblock-Chebby has its intake ports paired on the heads, rather than evenly spaced.

Typical paired SBC intake port arrangement... $_3.JPG?set_id=2

Even intake port spacing on the old Hemi (331-354-392), similar to the 426 and the new Hemi...

hemi2.gif

And a 354 "old" Hemi with Weber-look electronic injection in a car I'm building for a client...also evenly-spaced intake ports.

[url=http://DSCN7851.jpg[/uR

Parts by Parks makes a resin Hilborn-style manifold for the 426...(and I believe Speed City makes one for the "old" Hemi.

pbp7001.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The Crew Chief Blazer also has a Hillborn style intake. The way it's laid out it looks more appropriate for a big block Chevy rather than a small block. though.

Well, that makes it even. IIRC, the "Crower" injection for the big block Chev in AMT's '69 Chevelle had the siamesed, SBC-type ports.

Rev56Chev006_zpsb0b38bcf.jpg

Well, that makes it even. IIRC, the "Crower" injection for the big block Chev in AMT's '69 Chevelle had the siamesed, SBC-type ports.

Just to live up to my mechanical pedantry, the old big-block Chebby has paired intake ports too (not "siamesed" which would have no divider wall between the two ports)

BBC head and ports... d4_12_s.JPG

"Siamesed" center exhaust ports on a 331 Caddy for example, hence the single header pipe...

1104sr_02_o%2Bvintage_engines_cadillac%2

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I stand corrected. :mellow:

I'm sorry Snake. My intent wasn't to "correct" you or to try to come off as a know-it-all big shot. :(

My only intent was to try to provide correct information and clarify terminology for anyone who might like to have it.

I sometimes rub people the wrong way in the process, and again, I apologize if you took my comment as anything other than a sincere desire to help get things right on the internet. What a concept. :)