Model Cars Magazine Forum

http://www.fishermodels.com/product/bugatti-100p-record-plane-124-scale

When I saw this, I HAD to buy it... it's a record breaking Bugatti in 1/24...except it's a "what-if?", and it's a plane...

My plan is to build it into a diorama with the the Heller Bugatti T50 and a couple of period figures. I need a super sleek pilot (think Howard Hughes) and a super cool engineer (think Levon Helm as Jack Ridley in The Right Stuff), so an ideas where to source those guys would be much appreciated!

bestest

M.

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to have to have one of these as well.

How remarkable it is that this aircraft managed to survive the war; I recall seeing the beginnings of the 1:1 flying reproduction, but forgot about it entirely.

Thanks again for the link to the kit site.

bugatti57sc.jpg

• 1 year later...

A friend of mine has bought the Fisher kit of this aircraft and it is very accurate. The original Bugatti 100P has been restored for static display and is on show at Oshkosh Air Museum. it was discovered hidden in France after WW2 and shipped to the states. The engines were taken from it to be used in a couple of Bugatti car restorations. A flying replica is being built so it will be very interesting to see how the aircraft handles. The original never did get to fly, so how it would have performed is pure conjecture. There is a book about the Bugatti aircraft written by Japp Horst that has lots of technical details, photos and drawings that can be bought via his own website.

Talked with the person who brought the plane back. It was found in an old farm building where it was hidden so the Germans could not get it when they overran France. As stated he wanted it for the engines alone.  The engines are in "continuation" or "replica" cars now. 

The original airplane is hanging at the EAA museum in OshKosh, Wisconson. 

Here are a couple of great videos.

http://www.fishermodels.com/product/bugatti-100p-record-plane-124-scale

When I saw this, I HAD to buy it... it's a record breaking Bugatti in 1/24...except it's a "what-if?", and it's a plane...

My plan is to build it into a diorama with the the Heller Bugatti T50 and a couple of period figures. I need a super sleek pilot (think Howard Hughes) and a super cool engineer (think Levon Helm as Jack Ridley in The Right Stuff), so an ideas where to source those guys would be much appreciated!

bestest

M.

Good heavens...those are some nice plane and car kits...but remarkably expensive for curbside cars though!

• 2 months later...

Tragic news. This airplane apparently crashed yesterday, killing the pilot/builder.

I don't have any details but for those interested, they should be showing up in these threads at WIX:

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58396

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=56235

I talked with Scotty several times about the aircraft.  He was very kind and shared a lot of information with me.  Come to find out we graduated from Air Force Pilot training about a month apart.  Great guy.  I will be finishing my P100 and show it as a tribute to him.  I am going to miss him and his project very much.  We lost a great pilot and person yesterday!  God's Speed Scotty!

Its sad to hear of his and his planes passing.  It will be interesting to see what the FAA determines the cause.  Unfortunately from the reports I have read so far it sounds like a classic stall spin.

As a fellow pilot I can only hope that I too can pass doing something I enjoy doing.

Its sad to hear of his and his planes passing.  It will be interesting to see what the FAA determines the cause.  Unfortunately from the reports I have read so far it sounds like a classic stall spin.

As a fellow pilot I can only hope that I too can pass doing something I enjoy doing.

Pure speculation but I don't see that scenario.  There is some cell phone video and the aircraft looked like it was moving well.  You never see the actual event.  We will know what happened though.  There was a chase Helo airborne doing video of the flight, so there will be no doubt once they release it.   If I were to guess it would be one of two things.  Catastrophic airframe failure or more likely asymmetric flap retraction and I tend to favor that.  The information on the original aircraft stated that it had automatic flaps and gear retraction.  I know for a fact that they changed the gear to hydraulic but if the flaps were replicated, they were independent of each other. If one stuck I doubt there would be enough aileron authority to counteract the roll. 

I'm with you.  It would be great to go quickly doing something you love.   

Edited by Pete J.

• 8 months later...

That is such a beautiful plane. Just can't justified the cost of the model since I have so many other projects already. Was really sad to hear about the replica crashing. Never did hear if Safety Board issued a final report, but then I'm at least 4 months behind on Air Classics.