Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wynnscharger FE dragster, 7-27-15. engine is in.

Glad I saw this thread....I just picked up this kit....and just finished the Young American one...So this will help me out when I go to build it.

And its looking good by the way Clay keep up the posts with the building of it!

• 1 month later...

Thanks Micheal. I'm happy with it so far. I love these old FEDs. I'm going to getting a few more and ordering some aftermarket decals, Slixx I imagine. This kit sure has some issues. The directions for mounting points are not clear at all. The chassis can be warped, mine wasn't luckily. There's a little bit of, just stick it there, hope it works, going on.

Hi Clayton I feel your pain as I'm close to finishing mpc jawbreaker and what a nightmare think they are the same kit with different bodies but in saying this if you can overcome the faults these kits have they can turn out really nice as is yours. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Guys...the MPC Garlits FE and MPC Jawbreaker kits are entirely different models from different tools.  

The Jawbreaker is MPC's circa 1968-tooled Ramcharger FE dragster kit, with a new body.  

The Garlits kit is the first version of the MPC dragster tool from 1970 that later delivered (with mods) the Carl Casper Young American, the Carl Casper streamliner kit (which Round 2 is reissuing soon), and an Altered Coupe version with a pseudo Fiat body.  

Having said that, both the Jawbreaker and the Garlits FE share some fiddly assembly issues, as you all have articulated in this thread.  But I think it is worth it to persevere and complete both kits, particularly for 1960's drag racing nuts like us.  

TIM 

• 9 months later...