Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wynnscharger FE dragster, 7-27-15. engine is in.

This may be a dumb question. The front axle doesn't fit into the spot as instructed. The cradles are are too narrow. The engine location is vague at best.

At least my chassis is straight though. Read that has been an issue with a few.

Edited by Petetrucker07

Here's the kit.

mpc-don-garlits-wynnscharger-front-engin

Here's what I have so far.

20150523_073216_zpsaxnqnfqe.jpg

20150523_073156_zpsnb1or5zp.jpg

Here's my problem. The front axle. The instructions call for the little pins to sit in the "cradle" in the frame. The right side is sitting per instructions.

20150523_072726-1_zpsc7plejnx.jpg

20150523_072803-1_zpshwbdd1er.jpg

As you can see it won't line up.

The next problem, which might the easier to help with. Where does the engine locate in the frame. There are tubing notches in the trans plate like it's suppose to sit on a tube. But the pins n the sides of the motor don't really fit anywhere.

20150523_072943-1_zpscj2trrru.jpg

20150523_072956-1_zpss9sg52wd.jpg

Clayton, in the pic showing the unit on the tire, could it be you have the front end upside down? Looks like the tie rod should be below the front axle, or at least below the frame. Also, that "key" looking part, I'm sure that's for the steering, that should be below the frame I would imagine.

As for the motor, mock up the direct drive unit to the rear axle, and place the motor up to the trans/driveshaft unit. This should dictate where the motor should sit in the frame.

Whatcha' think?

Michael

Edited by 10thumbs

OK, I'll take a shot at it...

The instructions show the torsion bar lever locating on the radius rod mount on the axle - center up the axle on the chassis and it should line up where it is supposed to go. That will also move the end of the steering arm outbaord of the frame where it will connect to the drag link

I think I can explain things for you Clayton. Round 2 used the same chassis for the Wynnscharger and the Young American kits but the Wynnscharger has a different front axle that doesn't fit. The original Wynnscharger chassis has a different torsion bar setup. You can widen the torsion tube or just use the axle from the YA kit although it won't be accurate for the Garlits car. The YA uses radius rods to brace the axle and the Garlits car doesn't.

I think I can explain things for you Clayton. Round 2 used the same chassis for the Wynnscharger and the Young American kits but the Wynnscharger has a different front axle that doesn't fit. The original Wynnscharger chassis has a different torsion bar setup. You can widen the torsion tube or just use the axle from the YA kit although it won't be accurate for the Garlits car. The YA uses radius rods to brace the axle and the Garlits car doesn't.

Thanks man. That's exactly what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna widen the torsion beam.

OK, I'll take a shot at it...

The instructions show the torsion bar lever locating on the radius rod mount on the axle - center up the axle on the chassis and it should line up where it is supposed to go. That will also move the end of the steering arm outbaord of the frame where it will connect to the drag link

I did try that and it wasn't right. I was thinkin of doin this, drilling out the tabs and putting a rod through. But since it is visible, I couldn't do it in good conscience.

I found this:

ZTony8, on 07 Oct 2014 - 04:52 AM, said:snapback.png

Yes,I have one.See my post in "Drag racing models".

BTW,it has the Young American frame in it with the Garlits version chrome tree.I believe that the front axle had to be altered as the space between the axle mounting points on the frame is/was different than the original Garlits kit frame.

The frame has to be modified. The axle mounts are 26 mm spaced and the chassis mounts are 18 mm. I cut off the chassis " tube " and used a piece of Evergreen .080 rod cut to 26 mm and centered it on the chassis. Cut the axle torque arms off and added them to the rod ends. The fix took about 20 minutes.

Hope this is what you're looking for.

I found this:

ZTony8, on 07 Oct 2014 - 04:52 AM, said:snapback.png

The frame has to be modified. The axle mounts are 26 mm spaced and the chassis mounts are 18 mm. I cut off the chassis " tube " and used a piece of Evergreen .080 rod cut to 26 mm and centered it on the chassis. Cut the axle torque arms off and added them to the rod ends. The fix took about 20 minutes.

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Yes sir. That's how I'm gonna do it. Thanks everyone for the feedback.