Model Cars Magazine Forum

DANGER ! DANGER !

Well, we've all heard of those "tragic farming accidents" where Farmer Jones lost an arm in the thresher, right? :lol:

Yeah, my dad's half-brother lost his arm in a corn picker when he was 15. I'm not offended by jokes about these types of accidents but, understandably, I'm not laughing hysterically, either.

I grew up on a farm and am aware of farm accidents. The machinery is inherently dangerous and farmers, especially during harvest time are in a hurry to get the crop in. I remember one time my dad bought a dozen XL gloves. I asked why and the answer scared me half to death. He said that he kept loosing them in the corn thrashing machine because as he untied the bundles, the twine would catch on the gloves and jerk the glove off his hand and into the machine. :huh: He was lucky. When he left this world he had all of his fingers and toes. Quite an accomplishment!

Edited by Pete J.

Friend of mine lived on a farm back when we were in 5th grade, and he was helping disc the field and his brother was driving the tractor and he was standing on the disc and got his boot/pants caught in it. Yanked him in and broke is leg in 3 places backwards. Almost killed him had his brother not heard him. Was in a wheelchair almost a year and was told he may not walk on that leg or even drive again. Was on crutches for about another 6 months... but, sure enough he is doing everything they told him he couldnt do. Like it never happened.

Obviously, injuries aren't funny...but I posted the first sign because of its seeming concern more for the machine than the Mr.Bill-like character in its grasp. :o

I've worked around and with dangerous stuff my entire life, and so far, I still have all my fingers and toes...knock wood.

But there are times I should really pay closer attention.

I haven't ridden a bike in years, just got a 24-speed trail job. First time around the block, I rode it in sneakers with just stupidly too-long laces. Guess what? They got tangled in the chain, and I ALMOST went down...in front of a car...just because I wasn't paying enough attention to what I should have been paying attention to.

But gee...there weren't any warnings on the bike in big red letters that said "don't ride this thing with shoelaces flapping in the breeze, moron".

Guess I should have gone ahead and crashed...and sued somebody. <_<

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Safety and work... I grew up in pharmaceutical companies that have been very big on regulations and safety. There always was very specific safety training and adherence. A lot of it is just common sense.

Then I got out in the real world. I found contractors who thought nothing of walking into a crowded cafeteria with ladders, seting up right against tables where people were eating and taking out ceiling tiles! Completely clueless!

I found contractors who thought nothing of walking into a crowded cafeteria with ladders, seting up right against tables where people were eating and taking out ceiling tiles!

Hey, nothing like a soupcon of acoustic-tile fiberglass backing to give your lunch that certain extra je ne sais quoi. B)