Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are the chances of the AMT '72 Chevy Pickups to make a return?

Considering Round 2 just re-issued the '72 Blazer along with the '78 Ford, what would be the chances of seeing the '72 fleetside being re-issued any time soon? My wants for one have really increased after I found my 85-year-old grandpa's old one after a trip to the local Junkyard. I have wanted to build this truck for him for a while but finding its remains really re-sparked my interest. The most recent reissues are bringing in upwards of $30 plus shipping which I find a little bit ridiculous considering the tooling's age and the fact that the kit was issued in about 2006. Any insight is appreciated.

You know, I keep thinking the same thing about that Firestone Ford....Just a little too pricey, for me.....Luckily, Hobby Lobby carries those, so Amen for the 49% off coupon.....What I really want reissued is the Chevy 454 SS kit....Or any of those late 80's early 90's chevy kits.....Those would be awesome....But the Fleetside would be cool, too....

Honestly, the C1500s aren't expenseive on ebay if you wait for just the right price. I've bought like 5 of them over the past 2 years, ranging from $18-$25, including shipping. And I just bought an opened, complete kit of a C-1500 Stepside at NNL West for $10. I think that a lot of different versions were made over the years, so the sheer number of them has kept prices relatively down. The same holds true with the early 90's AMT F-150.

It would be possible for them to re-issue the kit, but I would rather see someone like Moebius develop a new set of them and finally have a decent kit to work with. The advance pics of the Ford kit that Moebius is bringing to market have had us all drooling in anticipation, I would be more excited if they could execute in a similar fashion if they chose 67-72 GM trucks!

It would be possible for them to re-issue the kit, but I would rather see someone like Moebius develop a new set of them and finally have a decent kit to work with. The advance pics of the Ford kit that Moebius is bringing to market have had us all drooling in anticipation, I would be more excited if they could execute in a similar fashion if they chose 67-72 GM trucks!

I agree. Free up Round 2s resources to find and clean up/repair some of their better truck kits, like the '72-'79 Dodge longbed and the '78-'80 Chevrolet Stepsides, which would bake great companion kits to the F350 kit.

I wonder if it would be possible for Round 2 to offer an enhanced '72 Chevy kit. I don't recall the kit now but early in the Round 2 take over of the AMT kits they "re-issued" an older promo style kit combined with the more detailed running gear of a later kit essentially creating a new kit from two different kits.

I'd like to see a completely new tool kit of the 67-72 GM trucks as well, but wouldn't turn my nose up at an improved AMT kit. I have a couple of unbuilt GMCs and Chevys in the stash, but I'd probably add a couple more even if they just re-issued the kit as is. Simple, but still a decent kit to start with.

I second the hope they will re-issue the 80/90s 1500s, particularly the SS454 which I kick myself for not picking up a few years ago when they were cheap and common.

Aaron, your idea is sound, but in the case if the upgraded older kits, which were all MoPar products, they had an already tooled up chassis for a different kit ready to go. In this case, it was from the AMT '68 Road Runner. To do the same with the '72 Chevy, it would require them to tool up a completely new chassis that really couldn't be shared with much more than perhaps a variant of that body style truck. The only exception to that would be if they were to reacquire/find the tooling for the original AMT/SMP '63-'66 Chevrolet truck, which could use the same chassis with a few minor tweeks to the rear suspension. But for the costs, you would probably be pretty close to what it would take to go ahead and do a complete kit.

I totally agree with you all on this.I hope they get us a decal,grill back for the different years of pickups.and yes love to see the Dodge pickups reissued. ..I don't have any of the MPC Dodge pickups.

Aaron, your idea is sound, but in the case if the upgraded older kits, which were all MoPar products, they had an already tooled up chassis for a different kit ready to go. In this case, it was from the AMT '68 Road Runner. To do the same with the '72 Chevy, it would require them to tool up a completely new chassis that really couldn't be shared with much more than perhaps a variant of that body style truck. The only exception to that would be if they were to reacquire/find the tooling for the original AMT/SMP '63-'66 Chevrolet truck, which could use the same chassis with a few minor tweeks to the rear suspension. But for the costs, you would probably be pretty close to what it would take to go ahead and do a complete kit.

I've seen posts suggesting more detailed donors for the '72 kit, but I guess those would be the Revell 64/65 kits, so not really on the table for Round 2.

• 2 weeks later...