Model Cars Magazine Forum

GFLF Simba 8x8 (Wheels 08-22-2015)

I've got this Simba that I got from one of our great forum members a while back, and someone had mentioned how the tires might disintegrate while on the shelf....That got me to thinking....I've got to do one of two things.....Unload it, or Build it.....I'm going for the latter....Does me no good in the box, anyway....I figure some Armor All will take care of that.....

Guess what color it's going to be..... :rolleyes: And I'm going to bling it out as if it were at the firehouse down the street....

SAM_51941024x768_zpsacfe68cf.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

Good luck with this monster of a kit, There was an article in a British model magazine when the kit first came out with some corrections on the directions, If you follow them you can't get the frame to the body

I did mine when fluorescent orange was big, Used Pactra pearl white (that dates this build) under the flourescant orange that was airbrushed.

P1000267.jpg

Yes my tires did decay and got replacements from Revell, I don't think ArmourAll is going to save them

If you need some fire builders insights

http://scalefirehouse.com/sfh_brd/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3829&p=37822&hilit=Simba#p37822

greg

JT I'm looking forward to seeing your Orange Crush Simba. I did mine up in the more traditional Bug Juice Green.

simba%20crash%20tender_zpsu3zbiypp.jpg

I had problems with warppage of the body panels. Once I got them pulled , clamped, and glued into place the body remained square. The tires on this models were OK but I had troubles with a Unimog kit's tires

Carl

JT,

The orange will look good with the kit decals! If you decide to use them. But I do know this. Whatever you do to it. It will be a killer project!

I have one of these in the stash. I originally bought it with an eye towards making a crane carrier out of it.

I also had someone cast a bunch of the wheels and tires for me. To use on future projects.

Be Well

Gator

Edited by gatorincebu

Hey, thanks Greg for the heads up on the instructions....Any idea where I might find the corrections, or is there just something I need to watch out for??

And, oh yes....This thing WILL be Orange....I just have to figure out, exactly, what will be orange and what will be Silver Foil Metallic....The pictures of you guy's builds are quite helpful with coming up with a scheme....Thanks for the ideas.....

JT,

Glad to see you start this project! I look forward to following this build! With all of the Alclad finishes available these days, you may want to use some on your natural metal finishes. Even most of the departments who like a lot of "bling " don't have a lot of chrome on their diamond plate. Google images should have some photos to give you ideas of paint schemes and striping. Carry on Sir!

David

JT,

Glad to see you start this project! I look forward to following this build! With all of the Alclad finishes available these days, you may want to use some on your natural metal finishes. Even most of the departments who like a lot of "bling " don't have a lot of chrome on their diamond plate. Google images should have some photos to give you ideas of paint schemes and striping. Carry on Sir!

David

Sounds good....That's the plan....Bling it out without over blinging it.....

Thanks, Guys....I have the corrections to the instructions, thanks to Terry and Greg, so building will commence, tomorrow.....Thanks, again....

Edited by kilrathy10

JT,

I thought you would be half way done by now (LOL)! Only kidding! I know that planning, getting supplies, and this little thing called "life " gets in the way of our building sometimes. Looking forward to updates!

David

Edited by hooknladderno1

I thought I was going to be able to start, yesterday, but we've had some pretty good flooding, down here....We're good, but I've had some calls I've had to go on for repairs.....But I'm back, now....

Assembly has started....The main part of the frame has gone together without much of a problem....As the article stated, parts 19 and 21 were mis-numbered and had to be swapped, and I had my first mishap for this project, already....Part #24, a tiny tank of some sort just shot out of my hand as I was sanding it and just DISAPPEARED.....No idea what happened to it....I'll see if I can find a suitable replacement for it in the spares boxes....Couldn't believe it just shot off without a hint of where it might be....Oh well...I hope that will be the only thing that happens to this....

Anyway.....The first thing I noticed when I opened the box is how many parts there are....But then as I started assembly, I saw how clean and flash free everything was....For a kit that was produced 27 years ago, it looks amazingly well appointed....Man, this has been in this box for 27 years......It's time to get built....

SAM_7603%201024x768_zpsp47azbko.jpg

Still much more to do.....

SAM_7604%201024x516_zpsiha4xmrk.jpg

SAM_7609%201024x588_zpst0pgwmbt.jpg

And thanks for posting your builds of this thing....I really appreciate it.....They're giving me some pretty good ideas of what I might do to this.....If there are any more, I welcome them.....I can use all the help I can get....

Edited by kilrathy10

Looking good JT! Food for thought - if you wanted to make it a more "American " rig, you could omit the sloped roof, and do a more Oshkosh /E-one style 8x8 ARFF. Lots of images on Google Images... Don't know if you are up for such a departure, but thinking it would be really cool. I have a "junker"that I bought off of eBay several years ago. It arrived in a much worse condition than advertised. I may do something similar...

https://www.firetruckmall.com/AvailableTrucks/TruckDetails.aspx?Truck=04234-2000-E-One-Titan-8x8-50%27-Aerial-ARFF-Unit&Id=823

David

Edited by hooknladderno1